A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name || Nickname Edition!


Good day to you, friends!

How was your weekend?
TOMORROW IS THE FIRST DAY OF OCTOBERRRRRRR.  I can't believe it!  In almost eight days, Evan & I will be celebrating THREE years of marriage!  I can't believe that either.  <3

 Is it Fall weather where you are yet?  We are still in the 90's here, & I'm DYING for some cooler weather so I can sip warm drinks & snuggle up in sweaters.  :]

> > > > > < < < < <

Anywho.
Enjoy this set of nicknames! :]

> > > > > < < < < <

Met
Demetrius
M | Ancient Greek (Latinized)

Latinized form of the Greek name Demetrios, which is derived from the name of the Greek goddess of agriculture, Demeter ("earth mother").  Kings of the Macedon and the Seleucid kingdoms have borne this name, as well as several early saints.


Val
Valentina
F | Italian, Russian, Croatian, Macedonian, Slovene, Romanian, Spanish, Greek, Latvian, Ancient Roman

Feminine form of the Roman Valentinus, which comes from the name Valens, meaning "strong, vigorous, healthy."  A famous bearer of this name was the Soviet cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova (1937-), who became the first woman to visit space in 1963.


Dex
Dexter
English, Latin

From an occupational surname meaning "one who dyes" in Old English.  It also coincides with the Latin word dexter meaning "right-handed, skilled."


Char
Charleen
| English
shahr-LEEN, chahr-LEEN

Variant of Charlene, the feminine diminutive of Charles, possibly derived from a Germanic word meaning "man.
NOTE:  This is the name of my dear mum-in-law.  I call her Mama Char.  *^ - ^*


Mars
Marlowe
English (modern)

From a surname, derived from a place name, meaning "remnants of a lake" in Old English.


Edie
Edith
English, German, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch
EE-dee

From the Old English name Eadgyð, derived from the elements ead "wealth, fortune" and gyð "war."
NOTE:  This is the given name of the main character in a book by Louisa May Alcott & its film adaptation, The Inheritance.  One of my absolute favorites!






Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.



> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Talk to me!  Any faves?? I kinda like Met & Mars. . . And Valentina is a beautiful name!
What do you think?  Would you use different nicknames with some of these.  If so, do share!!  :D

Have a lovely week, dear beans!
<3

Comments

  1. Love these! Dexter is our dog's name -- we also call him Dex and Dexy for short. :)

    It's supposed to be 90 up here in IL tomorrow as well -- we had some nice cooler weather a couple weeks ago, but summer isn't ready to give up yet, I guess.

    Went to a wedding for friends of my fiance this weekend -- very fun, but sooo hot for the outdoor ceremony! Especially for him -- he was a groomsman and had to wear a 3 piece suit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Love it! My parents have two Great Pyrenees we call Nova & Briggs---I usually call him Briggsy cuz he's a bumbling giant xD

      *MELTS INTO PUDDLE* This whole week has been oppressive! But I've checked our forecast & it looks like Fall will be arriving in mid-70-degree weather next week! I'm soooo ready for my sweaters & hot chai tea lattes.

      I love the beauty of outdoor weddings! My brother's wedding was just a few weeks ago & it was still pretty hot, but the Lord blessed us with overcast skies! Still, the guys were in long sleeves, slacks, & suspenders---but it was gorgeous regardless. Congrats to your friends! And to you!! Marriage is a beautiful thing. <333

      Delete
  2. YAY! I LOVE the nicknames ones! Met, Val, and Edie are my faves! Such cute ones! Also that is precious about your "Mama Char". <3

    I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT OCTOBER. Although it's still in the 90s here as well. Blergh. COME ON, FALL. We're ready for ya! Maaaybe October will get with the program and promise cooler weather. One can hope. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Love all of those. And thanks! *^ - ^*

      ME TOOOOOOO. I do believe it's my favorite month of the year (despite the creepiness of Halloween---I love the costume & candy side of things, but some people take it TOO far). Fall is COMINGGGGG!!! At least it's coming here... Next week... HOPEFULLY. xD

      Delete
  3. I love your new blog design! Actually I don't know how new it is because I've been rather absent from the blogosphere...anyways, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you, Eliza! I've only had this design for a few months, so you're not too outta the loop ;D Thank you! I love the freshness, though there's still some things I'd like to tweak. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …