A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Book Review || The Memory Thief

I'm BACKKKKK!
I truly did not mean to take such a long leave of absence from my blog, nor to neglect reading all my favorite blogs.  And I'm sure I could mumble excuses, but you don't wanna hear 'em---am I right?? ;D  

So I will forego all that & simply say, Happy September!! I've got a shiny, new book review for you today---I think you'll wanna just go on & add this novel to your TBR in advance, it's THAT GOOD.  And hopefully I'll have some fun birthday photos to share with you from my little boy's One Year Old bday party.  It was such a blast, I may have kinda went all out on the dino theme & decorations, but that's what you're supposed to do for your baby's first birthday, right?? xD  Stay tuned, if you're interested in that little post!

I honest-to-goodness CAN'T believe September is already here.  O___O  I love the Summer season & am sad to see it go, but I'm slowly getting that itch for Fall weather & dresswear---anybody else with me??? *pumps hand as the outside temp says a honkin' 91 degrees. . .*

That said, I've got bday photos coming up, some more books to review, Name posts, & a couple encouragement posts as well.  However, my little brother is getting married in NINE days, so, in advance, I'm not sure how active I'll be in the blogging world ("WHATTT?" <--I know, I know.  I'm doing it to ya again. . .), but I'll do my best to get back to my Name posts & other posts sometime these following weeks, and especially after the wedding.  :]  Keep writing & posting on your blogs! I truly wanna catch up, but I may not be able to comment as often as I wish, just so ya know.  *^ - ^* <333

In the meantime, enjoy this review!

The Memory Thief
Lauren Mansy

Blink | October 1, 2019
Fantasy, Fiction, Young Adult

{GoodReads}
It’s always a risk to play with memories, when you can’t help but sink into a sea of others’ wishes, hopes, and dreams … but if losing myself means saving my mother, isn’t it worth it? 

In the city of Craewick, memories reign. The power-obsessed ruler of the city, Madame, has cultivated a society in which memories are currency, citizens are divided by ability, and Gifted individuals can take memories from others through touch as they please.

Seventeen-year-old Etta Lark is desperate to live outside of the corrupt culture, but she grapples with the guilt of an accident that has left her mother bedridden in the city’s asylum. When Madame threatens to put her mother up for auction, a Craewick practice in which a “criminal’s” memories are sold to the highest bidder before being killed, Etta will do whatever it takes to save her. Even if it means rejoining the Shadows, the rebel group she swore off in the wake of the accident years earlier.

To rescue her mother, Etta must prove her allegiance to the Shadows by stealing a memorized map of the Maze, a formidable prison created by the bloodthirsty ruler of a neighboring Realm. Etta faces startling attacks, unexpected romance, and above all, her own past as she uncovers a conspiracy that challenges everything she knew about herself and the world around her.

In a place where nothing is what it seems, can Etta ever become more than a memory thief?

The Memory Thief:
Is perfect for fans of Leigh Bardugo and Victoria Aveyard
Brings readers on an unforgettable journey during which Etta must learn—often the hard way—just what it will take to save her city and her mother
Is a clean, coming of age YA fantasy by up-and-coming author Lauren Mansy


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <
WARNING: Possible Spoilers!

{The Basics}
First off, I won an advanced reader copy (ARC) of this novel in an Instagram giveaway hosted by the author, Lauren Mansy, herself.  I was SOOO pumped to see my name was drawn!  And am even more so by the wowness of this story.  I LOVED this book.

Etta is so very relatable.  I LOVED Reid from the beginning!!  As well as all the rest of the characters, and wanted to slap those deserving of slapping, but then hug them because I learned why they were so slap-worthy.  (Did that make any sense?)  The story world was so very intriguing.  I enjoyed the thought of the different realms, each governed by a ruler, and each responsible for different trades that make up the commerce of a nation (i.e. one realm taught the arts, such as painting, singing, & dancing; another was responsible for mathematics, sciences, & histories; one was the center trading post of four realms; and the final was responsible for all military training.).  The writing style---first person---which most everyone who's read my little blog knows is not exactly a favorite of mine, was so well written that I felt EVERY emotion.  No lie.  I'm pretty sure I nearly cried a time or two. . .

The mind is an amazing & powerful thing, and I especially love how that is portrayed in this novel.  People in the four realms are either born with a special ability, a Gift, or not, Ungifted.  The Gifts allow those in possession of that ability to take and/or transfer memories to themselves or others---for good or evil purposes.  That memory would then cease to exist in their own minds, and often this is does as a transaction or currency---though it wasn't always like that in the realms.  To pay in memories can be a hefty price, and one many people suffer for.

All that said, I was hooked from the beginning, and I truly believe this is an amazing debut by Lauren!  I need MORE.

{Spiritual Content}
None in relation to any kind of deity or God Himself.  There may have been a moment where a character prays for protection or something of the sort, but there's no specification as to Who he/she prays to.

{Violence}
Taking memories from someone can lead to a gruesome & painful death.  At a Memory Auction, we experience so-called 'criminals' chained to a chair before a large crowd & their memories sold to the highest bidder.  Having their memories & minds sifted through so quickly leads to their deaths, their eyes go white and blood comes from the nose.

An asylum treats a myriad of patients who've gone insane from using their Gift far too often or are comatose due to other reasons.

Minders, the soldiers of the realms, basically fight mental & physical battles, using their uniques gifts to destroy their opponents/adversaries' minds.  If among the Gifted, you could steal the memory of a fighting technique and instantly become a master of that particular art.

Despite the entire gist of this tale to revolve around the mind, battles are fought with physical viciousness, with sword, bow & arrow, knife, etc.  Characters are stabbed, cut, slashed, bruised, etc. etc.  Other people are captured & chained or thrown into horrific prisons.

A place known as the Maze is where the cruel tyrant of Craewick sends the less fortunate criminals.  There, their minds are literally torn apart until they go mad & die.  It is also home to vicious booby traps & unthinkable dangers.

{Language // Alcohol & Drugs}
None.  This novel is totally clean of any foul language! SUCH a marvelous relief to find in an unknown/debuting novel.  Because of this little fact, I enjoyed this tale immensely.

Not much in the way of alcohol or drugs.  A compound made from herbs & flowers is used for the healing process.  Characters spread it as a cream over wounds to help heal & take away pain.  A special liquid is also consumed for the same purpose.

{Romantic Content}
There's a slow-budding romance between Etta & Reid.  It was so very sweet (SPOILERRRRR & heartbreaking) at times to experience!  No sensuality or unnecessary steamy-ness in any way.  They seem to come to care for one another due to their characters & personalities, their strengths & weaknesses.  They share at least one tender kiss.  At one point, Reid's shirt comes off to tend to a nasty wound on his back.

{Conclusion}
All in all, this little review should give you the gist of what this tale is about.  But honestly, there's SO MUCH MORE I could add, but I don't want to give anything away because SERIOUSLY, YOU SHOULD JUST READ THIS.  I highly recommend this book!!!

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <
Ages: 14+

Comments

  1. WELCOME BACK, M'DEAR! Happy September!!! I'm personally SO looking forward to cooler, fall days. Summer is not my favorite. XD And YES to the dresswear. Gimme alllll the boots, please and thank you. You are not alone. XD

    Okay, this review made me soooo happy! I've been oggling this book since, like, before it had even released because it sounds SO up my alley. Buuut I figured it'd have content (because they ALWAYS have content blergh). I am so ridiculously happy yo hear this was a clean read. NOW I NEED IT EVEN MORE! :D Thank you so much for this great review! Definitely gotta get my hands on this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear girl!!! YESSSS, I loves all the boots & sweaters & oversized blanket scarves xD

      Oh, I'm so glad to hear! I know what you mean in regards to content. That ALWAYS give me pause, and then when I come across a BEAUTIFUL new debut novel that's clean, such as this one, I'm absolutely ELATED to have found it! (Or rather, it found me!) Yes, yes, yes! You NEED this one, dearie. And once you read it, I'd LOVE to know what you think!

      Delete
  2. Wait. A MOSTLY CLEAN YA READ???? WHAT IS THIS. I NEED. Lovely review, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSSSS. GUUUURL, YOU DO NEED!! Thanks, Nicole! ;D

      Delete
  3. I'm SO excited for this book! (So forgive me if I skimmed the review to avoid spoilers. xD) I'm super glad you enjoyed it, I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was so pleasantly surprised---I CAN'T stop gushing about it! Hope you enjoy!! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…