A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Be Encouraged // Make Time

 

It's a brand new year [ALREADY??], and to most that means new resolutions & re-evaluations of goals and priorities.

Unfortunately, a high percentage of New Year Resolutions tend to fizzle out by the second week of January.  Why?  Because it's HARD to form new, worthwhile habits, but oh so easy to keep the bad ones.

While I am absolutely no expert in forming & keeping good habits, I must remind myself daily of these things following:

> Time is a gift.

One will ALWAYS do what they desire to do.  Always.

For example, as I sit typing these thoughts while the halflings are sleeping, I realize I should probably take a small nap myself & regather my energy for the rest of the day.  But that's not what I want to do (even though I feel pretty exhausted right now).  So here I sit writing until the words fade from my brainhole, and then I may afterward pick up my latest book & read till the last possible moment before naptime ends. . .

People always do what they desire.  The MAKE the time---be it good or bad.

Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate. 

Honestly, that mountain of laundry can wait while you play Legos with your three year old for 15 minutes.  No, the kitchen won't clean itself (to our utter dissatisfaction), but taking an evening family walk is so much more worthwhile than an immaculate kitchen & clean dishes before bed.  Yes, frustration comes so easily when the ten month old is teething & beyond grumpy and you have other responsibilities screaming at you to finish, when all she wants is for you to snuggle her for 10 minutes because she NEEDS that time of soothing.

Before having children, I never realized just how much time is a gift.  And that it's meant to be spent wisely!  Yes, all of those responsibilities are important & are things you WILL accomplish eventually because you enjoy a clean, organized home where your family & others can come visit & relax.  But SERIOUSLY, what is 10 or 15 minutes, especially when spent fully present with those you love??

> Focus on what truly matters.

I have my priorities.  I wrote them out at the start of this year, 2022.  They are not resolutions.  They may differ slightly from last year's, but they are so very important to me all the same.  I won't go into details, because they are mine & you have your own, but my top two will probably ring true for most mamas I know.

1) My quiet time with my Lord.

2) My husband & my children.

Sadly, the first has not been followed daily as it should.  And this is---beyond the importance of my hubby & kiddos---THE highest priority of my life.  Because if I have everything right with my Lord, and I'm in His holy presence EVERY DAY, then everything else will fall into place.  It's as simple as that.  I've experienced it!  I am so much more at peace with myself & others when I have spent time with God.

To reach that goal, I must MAKE TIME.  And for me that means, getting to bed at a decent hour & rising early in the morning.  No late night reading sessions (no matter how good the book is!).  And limiting screen time before hittin' the hay. . .  Pinterest is awesome, y'all, but IT'S A SOUL SUCKER!!!  You know it's true.  (Of any form of social media!)

> Be FULLY PRESENT.

In EVERYTHING.

This means setting down the cell phone---if that means DIYing a "phone jail" for the family at dinnertime, so be it---and giving your full attention to the adorable jabbering of a toddler, even if you don't understand the cute nonsense he's speaking.  Or giving up a chore (that does need accomplishing) to play a quick game with a sibling---believe me, the chore will still be there.  Or perhaps dragging the family out for a much needed walk down the road or to the park---no screens, no earbuds---for the life-giving fresh air & exertion of energy.  Or maybe visiting a grandparent for a couple hours one evening---believe me, you will make. Their. DAY.

Simply put, wherever you are, give the place and the people (most importantly) your full focus.  Be fully there.  You won't regret it.


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Be encouraged!

You are so loved & so valued.  Your Time is a precious gift, and one of THE most cherishable things you could give to someone.  Don't take it for granted.

<3

Comments

  1. Love this post so, so much, Sarah - thank you for the reminder! <3 And Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole! And Happy happy 2022!! *^ - ^*

      Delete
  2. Aaaahhhh, Sarah! I'm so happy to see you blogging again. I've missed these encouragement posts. They touch me every. single. time.

    And wow. THIS ONE. This is e x a c t l y what I have been struggling with and wanting to work on lately. Honestly it's kind of my biggest focus for this year--making time for the JOYS of life. As a workaholic, I tend to put my daily to-do tasks ahead of loved ones. I often prioritize getting an email answered or blog post written over spending a joyful time with my family and making memories. But it's as you said, those chores will be there for later, but the time for memory making will slip by us if we don't grab it while it's there. So I want to make a conscious effort of setting aside my workaholic tendencies, slowing down, and simply make memories, spend time with my loved ones, and soak in all the joys of life.

    This post was so...timely! (I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I had to. XD Bu it's TRUE.) What we often think of as wasting time (like playing a game with a loved ones vs. getting a chore done) is often the very thing that makes life fulfilling! It's a work in progress for my workaholic, task-oriented, perfectionist self for sure, but bit by bit I'm improving, all by the grace of God!

    Thank you so, so much for sharing this! Happy 2022, my dear friend. I do hope it's a blessed one for you. <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you, my dear! Your sweet comments ALWAYS make my day! <3

      And yes---we are so very alike is that respect. I may not describe myself as much of a workaholic, but PERFECTIONIST is definitely a word I'd use haha. This is also (if you didn't catch it in my post) something I feel I've always struggled with. So, I was most certainly speaking to myself in this little post as much as to anyone else who may read it. The "fully present" part REALLY speaks to me, honestly.

      Hahaha and such a proper use of a pun, girl!! xDDD So, so true. And by God's grace, He'll see us through it all! Happy happy 2022, dear Christine! I sincerely hope the same for you! <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …