A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Name Reveal!

 

Photo by Kristin Brown on Unsplash

Happy November!


I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the windows open in my house, my little boy is napping soundly, the sun is shining, & it's a GORGEOUS near-80-degree November day outside.  *^ - ^*

Because this IS November, and I have been attempting (however poorly) to participate in NaNoWriMo, there probably won't be as much activity on this little blog.  HEH.  However, I do have some tentative plans to work on a Name post for next week, as well as an encouragement post & possibly a writerly one... 

Thank you for faithfully checking in, dear ones.  Every time I log on, it always feels so good to simply write & blog, no matter the rambles that come from my little brain.  ;D


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <


But that's not why I popped on, is it??

NOPE.

This is rather like a Name post, except it's revealing the name of our soon-to-come (Feb. 2021) little girl!


They do say a picture is worth a thousand words, so...


Yes!

We've decided to name our baby girl, little sister to Gabriel, Heidi.  I'll share the name meaning & origins below.  It's not a family name or anything, just a lovely, classic name (still a little uncommon, too) that both Evan & I liked.  Likewise, 'Gabriel' was also a name we loved, with no family connections, but we paired it with my hubby Evan's middle name 'James'.  <3  (You can find Gabe's name reveal here.  :])

As for Heidi's middle name, we chose my own to keep the family theme:

Elizabeth

*^ - ^*

I love mixing & matching name combos!  It's a fun little exercise while writing & creating characters, but definitely pays off when you're searching for baby names too.  xD


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <


HEIDI

German, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, English

HIE-dee (German, English), HAY-dee (Finnish)


The German diminutive of Adelheid, which is the German & Dutch form of Adelaide, meaning "noble type."   Heidi was the given name of of the title character in Johanna Spyri's children's novel of the same name (1880).  This name gained popularity in the English-speaking world shortly after the 1937 release of the movie adaptation, featuring Shirley Temple.



ELIZABETH

F  |  English, Biblical

i-LIZ-É™-bÉ™th (English)


From the Elisabet, the Greek form of the Hebrew name Elisheva, meaning "my God is an oath," derived from the roots el referring to "God" and shava meaning "oath."  The Hebrew form appears in the Old Testament where Elisheba is the wife of Aaron, brother of Moses; while the Greek form appears in the New Testament where Elizabeth is the mother of John the Baptist.


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <


So, there ya have it.  :]

Tell me, when you hear the name "Heidi," what comes to your mind?  It was definitely the classic novel/movie first off in mine, but I love it regardless what it might be known for.  Also, my husband's paternal family came from the Netherlands only four generations ago, so we thought it only fitting to have a Dutch-like name.  ;D


Well, I must sign off now.  Have a lovely week!  And if you're partaking of NaNo---DON'T stress yourself out!  It's not worth it.  All's you can do is write, write, WRITE.  And that's something I'm definitely trying to do myself.  :]

Comments

  1. AAAAHHHHH! HEIDI. THAT IS SO PRECIOUS! I've always thought that is such a cute name, and definitely a classic, timeless one, which is always just perfect. And Heidi Elizabeth is gorgeous together. I LOVE IT ALL!!!!

    I'm so thrilled for you guys! I hope the pregnancy is going well. <3

    And happy November! We are definitely having a gorgeous, windows-constantly-open November ourselves, and I am soaking it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much!! And yes, pregnancy is going well. :] Other than some exhaustion & lack of energy most days, I'm doing quite well! And Gabe is still growing & using more & more words every day-to-day can hardly believe how quickly he's learning!

      Yesss. Soak it all up, gurl!!! <333

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I love babies, and I love the name Heidi Elizabeth! *heart eyes* When I hear the name Heidi, I usually immediately think of my cousin's cousin with that name. *shrug* I like it! Maybe her nickname could be Di/De. ;-)
    We had some pretty nice days recently (like 70s!), but today there's frost on the ground! :-( *sigh* Indiana, y'all. xD
    Hope you have a good November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And yes! I LOVE coming up with unique nicknames---both of those are so CUTE <3

      I feel you, girl! I'm always wishing that the Autumn would last far longer than it does ;D and thank you! I hope the same for you also!!

      Delete
  3. Awww! That name is so beautiful! And, yeah, I usually think of the book as well whenever I hear the name Heidi. ;) I hope all's going well and that your doing great on NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, dearie! Yes, definitely can't help thinking of the book, but the little girl in it by that name is such a sweet, innocent, FREE character that you kinda can't help but love her wild spirit---right!? ;D

    Thanks!! NaNo is 'going'... But that's about all I can say about its progress. HEH. What about you? Are you a fellow WriMo?? If so, I'd love to be buddies!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ I pray she shines as bright as both her namesakes! <3

      As long as you're going, then you're doing GREAT! You are a mom to a little boy with another blessing on the way so any writing you can do is awesome!

      I *just* reached 20,000, but Life is crazy at the moment so I'm falling behind a bit. But I refuse to stress about it because I am just so happy to be writing a story I'm enjoying. My last one kind of blew up on me and there's a ton of things I now have to figure out. *record screech* You have no idea what I'm talking about so you probably aren't interested in me ranting. ;p

      I'm an unofficial fellow WriMo because I don't have an account, but if you wanted to we could be buddies through hangouts or email because I'd LOVE to be buddies too!!! :D

      Delete
    2. Awww, thank you! *hugs*

      And thank you for the encouragement. I really do love my story, but I've felt at such an impasse plotwise for AGES, that I can't seem to get past the stuckness... *SIGH* But I'll get there---eventually!

      Woohoo!!! Well done, girl! that's GREAT progress!! And YESSS. That's totally the kind of mindset you need for NaNo. I may not understand in regards to your story, but I definitely know the feeling! Ploting just KILLLSSS me xD (And I certainly don't mind rants ;D

      No worries! And I'd love that!! If you'll contact me via this form (https://sarah-plainandaverage.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html), we can exchange emails securely :] Thanks, girl! See ya around!

      Delete
  5. Oooh, what a lovely name! And it's so cool that you're keeping a family theme with middle names. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. (I couldn't find the reply button on your last comment... eheh ;) )

    I'm sure you'll figure something out for your story! ^_^

    *^_^* Thanks! Plotting is definitely a pain sometimes. XD (Lol, thanks! ;) )

    I tried sending a message, but I have no idea if it went through, so sorry if I sent multiple messages! Me and technology don't always get along. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…