A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? || Surnames Edition


Good evening, y'all.
It's the third week of AUGUST. O_o
I'm picking up on my Name post rather late today, but please enjoy this set all the same.  :]

Tell me:
Do surnames play a big part with your characters?  Do your characters even have surnames?  Or do you tend to just throw a last name with their first & let it go?  Honestly, there's no right or wrong.  It is your story, remember?  ;D
I usually give my characters' surnames just as much thought as I do their names.  Unless of course I need something right away, then I'll just toss a simple name here or there & go with it until I can find something else.  heheh

> > > > > < < < < <

Van Wieren
Frisian, Dutch

Means "from Wieren".  This is the name of many towns in Frisia & other parts of the Netherlands, which mean "seaweed."


Ruan
Chinese

From Chinese  (ruǎn), referring to a type of musical instrument similar to a lute.


Vernon
English

Locational name in the Eure region of Normandy, derived from the Gaulish element vern "alder (tree)" combined with the genitive case maker onis.


Ardelean
Romanian

From the Romanian region of Ardeal, also known as Transylvania.  Possibly derived from Hungarian erdő meaning "forest."










Names & meanings via surname.behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

I rather like Ardelean.  Sound like a great Fantasy name, don'tcha think? ;D
Would you use any of these in a story??

Comments

  1. I like those top two. Having a musical instrument for a last name-- very poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GIRL. How do you find such perfect names??? I love ALL of these. Every single one!

    I kind of stiiiink at thinking of surnames, IF I even remember. I have so many characters with no last name at all. It's bad. XD I definitely need to work on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks, Lauri! *^ - ^*

      I do too! But to remedy, I find this little tip---albeit a little creepy---quite helpful: CEMETERIES. Yup! If you happen to be at a grave yard for a church or family reasons, browse the headstones! Some of my favorite story surnames come from ones I've found in the cemeteries. heheh ^^

      Delete
  3. I love Ardelean too! One common Vietnamese last name is Nguyen, and I once read that it was derived from the Chinese name Ruan. Not sure how true that is, but it's an interesting tidbit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And yes! I saw that little fact whilst looking up Ruan. How neat! Perhaps I'll add that one in for the next Surname post. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…