A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Be ENCOURAGED // Faithful Friend


1 Samuel 20: 41-42
            Jonathan watched his friend move from his place by the massive stone.  It took great strength of will to hold back the initial sting of tears and the growing lump in his throat as David made his way to him.  He knew the young would-be king should flee as quickly as possible, but he couldn't bear such a farewell knowing full well they may never again meet.
            But his efforts were futile as God's anointed and his dearest friend fell to the ground before him and bowed three times.  Such action of high respect and admiration was too much and he could no longer keep the tears at bay.
            He pulled David up and gripped him in an embrace, feeling as if his heart would cleave in two.  
            He was losing a brother.
            At last, with understanding, he managed to find his voice despite the anger and grief roiling in his veins.  "Go---" He cleared his throat, gripped David's collar tighter. "Go in peace, brother."  They broke apart, and in an attempt to find joy---be any left?---Jonathan slapped David on the back, nearly causing him to stumble, but also drawing a half-grin from the grim lines of his drawn features. "Remember our promise.  And go in the assurance the two of us pledged in the name of the Lord when we said: The Lord will be a witness between you and me and between my offspring and your offspring forever."
            David clasped his forearm, silent still, and Jonathan had the knowing sense that his friend did not trust himself to speak.  And with a solemn salute, David was gone.
            Jonathan stood in the field, alone, and yet at peace himself.
            "God be with you, David, king of Israel," he whispered to the wind.


[The above is a work of fiction inspired by the last two verses of 1 Samuel 20.  I wanted to somehow convey the agape love & the close friendship we read of Jonathan & David, and how I imagine their final farewell.]
> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Photo by Patrick Schneider on Unsplash
> > > > > < < < < <

I'm late in getting this post up, but I'm attempting to get back into the swing of things.  And to be honest, I've sincerely missed my BE ENCOURAGED posts.  They're mainly for my benefit anyway, but I do hope they do as their title suggests.  *^ - ^* <3  It was so good to study a bit more of Jonathan & his story.  I'm hoping to do more character spotlights for these posts in the next few weeks.  Keep posted!

> > > > > < < < < <

Oh what strength Jonathan, son of Saul, prince of Israel, held.  We don't know many details of his tragic story, nor all the things he endured as a son of the first king of Israel, but we do know the great friendship he shared with David, God's anointed king.

Was he ever bitter at God for passing him over as next in line for the throne?  Did he ever envy David and his royal inheritance of the kingdom that should have been his?  Did he understand the plan God was laying out for his life?  It is quite obvious that he trusted the Lord & His Word.  Why else would he retain such a genuine friendship with the man God chose as king?

In 1 Samuel 20, after his own father attempts to kill him, Jonathan leaves the dining hall---it doesn't say he runs as if escaping his father, or exits in any kind of quick manner, just that he "got up from the table in fierce anger and did not eat any food" (v. 34).  I think this is a glimpse of his character & personality in that he was not a man to act rashly or impulsively---even after the fact his own dad just threw a spear at him.  He was unafraid for himself, but consumed in thought for the safety of David.  To me, that shows a great inner strength & authenticity.

It would be my wish to be such a friend to someone---in all honesty, I'd want to be that to many someones!  I think Jonathan's character is a beautiful example of a mighty warrior & a noble man of God.  He exudes great strength, peace of heart & soul, mercy, forgiveness, & loyalty---to both his God & his friend.  Virtues worth mimicking.  :]

Photo by Ricardo Cruz on Unsplash

I can't help but think upon his death, recorded in 1 Samuel 31, that our God welcomed him with open arms:
"Well done, My faithful servant.  Welcome home."

And what about his eventual reunion with David??  I'd kinda want to imagine they greeted each other with a bear hug & many back-slaps (as guys are prone to do, right?).  Maybe even a "Wassup, bro!" thrown in there too.  Haha!  xD

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Anyways. . . All this to say,
BE ENCOURAGED.
Be the kind of friend it would be beyond difficult to have to say goodbye.
Be forgiving.  Be merciful.  Be faithful.  Be loyal.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Talk with me!
Were you as encouraged as I in revisiting Jonathan's story?
Had you ever considered the role he played in God's grand plan?

Happy weekend, all!
<333

Comments

  1. I've missed your encouragement posts! This made me SO happy to see on my dashboard!

    And oh my goodness, I love, love, LOOOVE the story of Jonathan and David. That little piece you wrote of them nearly moved me to tears. Their friendship was so special! I've actually had the thought of writing a David retelling. There's just such story fodder there! Am I the only one who reads the old testament and gets plot bunnies? I don't even know. XD But there are such amazing things there. And then it's even MORE amazing to realize this stuff really happened! These are real people! GAH. It just gets me all excited.

    But ANYWAY. I've never really thought of applying Jonathan and David's friendship to the friendships in my own life. :O What a beautiful thought! This was such a great post. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this bit of flash fiction. ♥

    I love the story of Jonathan and David, because it is such a loyal and faithful friendship. I've been thinking a lot about friendship lately, and this post definitely gave me more things to think about!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…