A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name?


Hullooo, friends!  How was your weekend?
Mine was fabulous.  *^ - ^* 

Our days here in my neck of the woods are still pretty hot in the 90-degree weather, but I can definitely tell Fall is in the air with the lower humidity levels.  What of you?  Are the leaving changing & falling where you are yet?

I've a fresh set of names for you today!
Enjoy!

> > > > > < < < < <

Nikos
M | Greek

Greek short form of Nikolaos, which is the Greek form of Nicholas, meaning "victory of the people."


Aletheia
F | Ancient Greek
a-LE-the-ya

From the Greek word of the same spelling, meaning "truth."

NOTE: This would have been a great name to feature for a Nickname post!  I would use Theia or the spelling Thea for her nickname.  What would you choose??



Jacoby
English
JAK-ǝ-bee, jǝ-KO-bee

From a surname meaning "son of Jacob."

Tarina
| English
tahr-EEN-ǝ

Possibly an elaborated form of Tara, which is either derived from Sankrit meaning "star"; or taken from the anglicized form of an Irish place name, Teamhair, meaning "elevated place" in Gaelic.


Ellis
M & F English, Welsh
EHL-is

From an English surname derived from the given name Elijah, which means "my God is YAHWEH" in Hebrew.  Could also be an anglicized form of Welsh name Elisedd, meaning "kind." 

Inanna
| Sumerian Mythology
i-NAH-nǝ (English)

Possibly from Sumerian nin-an-a(k) meaning "lady of the heavens"---taken from the combined elements of nin "lady" & the genitive form an "heaven, sky."  Inanna was the given name of the Sumerian goddess of love, fertility, & war (Odd combo, is it not?).  She was eventually blended with the Semitic (Assyrian, Akkadian, & Babylonian) goddess Ishtar.




Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Talk to me!  What do you think of these lovelies??  I absolutely love Nikos! But it's pretty hard to choose cuz I love all of these. xD

Have a lovely week, y'all!
<333

Comments

  1. What a unique set of names! :O I looooove Aletheia!!! Definitely my favorite. *rushes off to jot it down* Nikos is great too though, yessss! And Tarina! That one is fun! I honestly love them ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aletheia, what a lovely name and lovely meaning!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …