A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Be Encouraged // Beloved Girl, A Letter



Beloved Girl,

You are so LOVED.  So valuable.
So WORTHY.
You do not need those trendy fashions, the layers of makeup, nor the latest tech.
Your worth is not---and never will be---found in such things.

No number of "friends" on social media, no total of posts shared, or how active you are, how "real" you are, or what aesthetic you use will ever add up to your VALUE as a human being.

This world will throw such lies directly in your face, but it's up to YOU whether or not you choose to listen.

Every magazine, every product, every company, has an AGENDA.  Their focus is on money & just how much they can make.  The self-worth of those they affect has little to no importance on their radar.  As harsh as that sounds, unfortunately, it is Truth.

THAT SAID,
Do not look for your worth in the pages of the latest magazine, or the most popular social media icon.  Chances are, the model they raise is only an idol.  The riches of Heaven are not found in such things---AND NEITHER IS THE DEFINITION OF YOU.

Sincerely,
a friend


It was brought to my attention some of the things young girls & teens experience in the modernity of our world today.  Being now a mere three years away from thirty (OUCH.  When put like that, it makes me feel OLD!), I am completely out of the loop with what goes on in the lives of girls these days.  Something I do not wish to be.  I believe I've had a passion to encourage my younger sisters in Christ for quite a while, and had hoped to use this blog as a way, but until the little door to write for the Oh Beloved One magazine was open, I did not realize it was there.  Now, my heart goes out & sorrows & calls to those girls who are hurting & enduring the trials & outrageous lies of this world.

The level of bullying may be the same, but how it is used is different than how our mothers or grandmothers may have been treated.  Technology then does not compare to what we have now.  And the access to it is literally the tap of a finger on basically any kind of device.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Until yesterday, the term "VSCO girl" was completely non-existent to me.  According to a direct Google search, the definition is as follows:
VSCO girl is a term, generally used as an insult, for a young, usually white woman who posts trendy pictures of herself edited with the app VSCO.

In their article titled, "Who Are the VSCO Girls Taking Over Social Media?", a Seventeen magazine writer explains who these social media influencers are, what they are into, and how you can become just like them.  They even list multiple items to purchase in order to dress & remake yourself to their trends guaranteed to bring in more followers.

To be honest, I considered not sharing the article because I felt such sorrow & disgust that this is the lie girls are giving into---however intentionally or unintentionally.  But I think it important, if you click to read it, that you come away with your own opinions.  To me, there is a blatant effort to draw innocents to conform to the ways of the world.  But our great life Manual (a.k.a. THE BIBLE) tells us differently: "Do not conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good & acceptable & perfect."  (Romans 12:2, NASB)

Wow.  That seems pretty clear to me.  But KNOWING it and LIVING it are two completely different things.

> > > > > < < < < <

I believe it has always been this way.  Since the beginning of Time, and the Fall of the human race, girls have struggled in who or what to place their self-worth in.  And it seems there are less & less godly influences rising up to point the way.

My dear little sister!  You are LOVED.  You are worthy.  And you are beautiful!  Do not look to the world for the answers to your questions---because the world will answer, but only with lies.

It all boils down to this:
In Christ alone will you find fulfillment, love, security, purpose, & Truth.

> > > > > < < < < <

You do not need the label, the clothes, or the hashtag #VSCOgirl to fit in.  On the contrary!  You need to STAND OUT.  But make sure it's not the kind of "dare to be different" that draws attention to you---instead, you should be a light pointing directly to Christ, the God who calls you His own.


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Happy Sunday, dear beans!

I apologize for dumping this on you, but then again I'm #NOTSORRY.  This is something that's been on my heart of late, and something I've talked with a friend about in helping minister to the girls at her dance studio.  I do not know exactly what is expected of me in that, but I feel such excitement knowing I can at the very least be a godly influence.

If you are an older girl---like me!---are there ways you can lead by action?  And if you're a younger girl, what are some of the questions you struggle with the most?  PLEASE feel the freedom to ask them here!  Or if you are uncomfortable leaving a public comment, please send me an email through my contact form!  I'd be more than happy to encourage you in any way I can.

Much love,
<3

Comments

  1. Oh, Sarah. This post. THIS POST. The world needs this post!

    I've seen mention of VSCO around but I didn't know what all it entailed either. (I, too, am 3 years from 30 and feel sooo out of the loop. I feel so old sometimes. XD) But wow. That article makes me sad as well. What happened to just being yourself? Now we literally have to own all the exact same products and look the same and take perfect pictures? Where is the joy in that???

    You put it all so beautiful. It's our job to stand out, to spread God's light, to remember we are beautifully and wonderfully made through HIM. YES. I absolutely love your heart, Sarah! You are definitely a light for God. Thank you for sharing this beautiful truth! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine! (We're part of the same club, right?? The so-not-ready-for-30-yet-cuz-last-I-checked-I-was-16 club, to be specific... xDDD) I know. To see what girls have to deal with today makes me simultaneously angry & sad, I just wanna FIX EVERYTHING.

      Thank you! You are SO RIGHT. And so are you, girl. Keep shining that Light & maybe we can make our little corners of the world a little brighter on His behalf. <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …