A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Book Review || Flame in the Mist

Flame in the Mist
Renée Adieh

G.P. Putnam's Sons | May 16, 2017
Fantasy, Fiction, Young Adult

{GoodReads}
The only daughter of a prominent samurai, Mariko has always known she’d been raised for one purpose and one purpose only: to marry. Never mind her cunning, which rivals that of her twin brother, Kenshin, or her skills as an accomplished alchemist. Since Mariko was not born a boy, her fate was sealed the moment she drew her first breath.

So, at just seventeen years old, Mariko is sent to the imperial palace to meet her betrothed, a man she did not choose, for the very first time. But the journey is cut short when Mariko’s convoy is viciously attacked by the Black Clan, a dangerous group of bandits who’ve been hired to kill Mariko before she reaches the palace.

The lone survivor, Mariko narrowly escapes to the woods, where she plots her revenge. Dressed as a peasant boy, she sets out to infiltrate the Black Clan and hunt down those responsible for the target on her back. Once she’s within their ranks, though, Mariko finds for the first time she’s appreciated for her intellect and abilities. She even finds herself falling in love—a love that will force her to question everything she’s ever known about her family, her purpose, and her deepest desires.


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <
WARNING: Possible Spoilers!

{The Basics}
The Japanese culture has always intrigued me.  So, a fantasy novel filled with samurais, a Robin-Hood-like clan of thieves, a DANGEROUSLY forbidden forest, and the like, I knew I had to try it out!

The story itself was gripping.  I was hooked from the start by the world, the structure of the people & their culture, and how each character played their parts.  AND THE PLOT TWISTS.  WOOOOOOW.  While I enjoyed the plot & some of the characters, was enthralled by the strange magic, and overall love the whole gist of the story, I felt kinda abandoned & left hanging (thanks mostly to the CLIFF HANGER)---with the feeling I was lacking substance.  Does that even make sense?  This story had SUCH potential, but it was tossed & tossed in with the typical trope of girl-LOATHES-bad-boy-MC-but-falls-in-love-anyway & sprinkled with totally unnecessary language (as well as a bit too steamy romance. . . see respective section below).

{Violence}
Extremely violent, quite from the start.  Bloody, rather gruesome in the visual descriptions of hand-to-hand combat.  A convoy is ambushed where nearly the entire company is slaughtered in cold blood---only one person survives.  We see the body of a maidservant riddled with arrows & later burned completely in a litter used to carry the wealthy.

A repulsive man with obviously repulsive intentions attempts to take Mariko captive, but by her instinctive actions, she manages to stab him in the eye with a hair pin & slash his throat after a brief scuffle.  (Horrified, she promptly vomits the contents of her stomach.)

A samurai punishes a young man in his troop for simply singing on their return home after a failed mission.  Mounted on a horse, he kicks the man in the face.  We find he regrets the acts moments later, but that due to a twisted sense of honor, he felt it necessary.

An elderly man & his young grandchildren are cruelly murdered.  The man stabbed through the stomach---a slow death, and the children slashed across the chest & throat.

The jubokko tree is a LITERAL blood-sucking tree that grabs its victims with thorny vines & LITERALLY sucks the life-blood from their bodies.  This happens to a young man who screams the entire time until his energy is taken & he welcomes death with relief (a man offers to end his misery and, at the victim's permission, stabs him through the heart).  *shudders*

{Spiritual Content}
Some mention of the "old gods."  Characters pray to them, etc. etc.  There's some strange abilities that are obviously some sort of magic, as well as a sorceress whose intentions you'll find are quite evil.  At least one (MAYBE two) people are brought from the dead---somehow?  It's not explained, except perhaps by that bit of dark magic.

It's mentioned the Emperor was a direct descendant of the sun goddess.

{Language // Alcohol & Drugs}
At least two uses of "b-----d," at least one use of "d---ed," one use of "horse-s---,"at least one use of "s---," a use of "a--,"and also one use of "b---h."  A woman not the emperor's wife is referred to as his "witch whore."  The slang for an illegitimate offspring (in this case, a son) is often referred to as "whoreson."

Sake is a common alcoholic beverage made from rice.  Other such beverages are served in a well-known tearoom.

A man is poisoned in his tea. (. . .? kinda unclear how)  

{Romantic Content}
We learn Mariko is no innocent maiden.  Simply to spite her parents, we discover she had seduced a young man & had sex with him, not realizing later that had they been caught, he would've been sentenced to death. . . I don't believe they were ever caught.  He's never mentioned again.

Mariko poses as a boy for a few months.  In an attempt to collect a flower to be used as possible poison, which happened to be located on a cliff above some hot springs, she climbs & eventually slips, falling into the springs & blacking out.  [SPOILER]  Had it not been for ÅŒkami, who'd been watching, she would've drowned.  As it was, he rescues her & learns through the split of her tunic & the wrappings around her breasts that she is a girl.  Mariko KISSES HIM RIGHT THERE & he ends up kissing back.  My sarcastic reaction:  Really??  I thought this scene rather silly, but I won't go into details. . .

Both Mariko & ÅŒkami go back & forth between hating each other, but eventually reconcile.  ÅŒkami comes to Mariko's tent at one point & asks permission to enter.  It's unclear exactly IF anything happens, but it could be implied.

You get the picture.  Be forewarned, the romance is a bit too steamy (& immoral to my high standards) to enjoy, in my opinion.

{Conclusion}
Overall, I enjoyed the story & the story world immensely.  If I happen to find the sequel at my library or at an awesome bargain price, I MIGHT read it just to finish the dualogy.  Like I said before, CLIFF HANGER.  But I found I couldn't really connect to the main character, Mariko, as much as I like to with my heroines.  More than anything, I wanted to slap the tar outta her (and that's so not me).  I much preferred the perspective of ÅŒkami much more, and even that of her brother Kenshin.

There's obviously some DEEP deception & twisted evil going on in the empire that could give one the shudders.  It makes for a great story & an intriguing mystery with the Japanese-like culture, but alas, I can only give it three stars (er, succulents).

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <
Ages: 16+

Comments

  1. I've been considering picking this one up at the library! I might because I looooovvvveeee plot twists, but I admit that hearing there's a cliff hanger does scare me... Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plot twists are awesome!! (If done well, that is---and I thought this book did well) I KNOW. This isn't a book I'll probably read again, but I may find the sequel to finish the dualogy just because. :] Would love to know what you think if you pick this one up!

      Delete
  2. This one sorta kinda keeps catching my eye but I can never decide because I'm just getting tired of the whole girl hates all men and is being forced into marriage thing. It's been way over done lately and is starting to annoy me. BUT I do totally agree a Japanese culture fantasy with Robin Hood vibes is totally appealing! So yeah, I've always been pulled on this one.

    I DO have another book by this author, The Wrath and the Dawn. So maybe I'll read that and if I like it enough I'll consider this one. Hehe.

    Although that's a shame the romance in this gets pretty steamy... Why is it so hard to find good, secular books? *sigh*

    ANYWAYS. LOVED this review! Your reviews are always so, so informative and helpful. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I! It just waaaay to common in books these days. Where are the AWESOME, FEMININE, girls who respect & encourage the men in their lives?? Would love to know what you think of this one if you happen to pick it up. :]

      Oooooh! That's one I've looked for because it sounds absolutely fascinating. If you do a review on that one, I'm definitely reading it!

      Yeah... -_- Let's get OUR stories out there & fix that, shall we?? xDDD

      Thank you, Christine! <333

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…