Featured Slider

What's in a Name? | UNKNOWN Edition

So, for this particular post, I decided to attempt something different.
Instead of sharing names and their origin and meanings, I thought, "Why not post names whose meanings are unknown?"  These monikers are often combinations of other names, tweakings is that a word? of the more common ones, or simply and truly unique.


To begin, let's go with the lovely, feminine names. . .

Narah
Simple, yet lovely.

Evony
Reminds me of Ebony.

Teylie
This one could be a play on Taylor or possibly Kaylee.

Neysa
Extremely unique!

Pareysia
Could be pronounced however you like.
I keep thinking pah-RAY-see-ah or even pah-RAY-zhah.


And now for a bit of the masculine.  :]

Emric
Personally, I think this would be an awesome fantasy name.  Maybe an Elf??

Te'o
Could be a form of Teo, which may ultimately be derived from Theodore.

Jarran
Again, this would be an awesome fantasy/medieval guy.
Or perhaps a character in some sci-fi tale.

Saegan
This was a character's name in The Binding of the Blade series by L.B. Graham.

Janner
This name is also from a book series: The Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson.


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <


So, what do you think? Do you have some awesome, unique names to add that may not have known meanings? Have you ever come up with a new, original name?? (I did! :] Her name is Kyndi, a character for one of my concept stories.) What about you?  Do share!

So You Say You're a Writer. . .

I've heard it said you are only as good a writer as the work and effort you put into your stories.  Basically, you are a writer or merely a person who claims to be.  And lately (I'm ashamed to say) I have been more of the latter. . . 

I thought by now I might have had the first draft of my WIP, Noya, completed---or at the very least, quite close to it.  REALITY:  I haven't touched it since December.  TT_TT

Why?

Two words:


Yes, it's a thing.  
I can see you nodding with me.

Writer Procrastination is this condition many writers suffer through and endure.  It could include everything from a prolonged writer's block to self-doubt, frustration, boredom in uninteresting (but necessary) scenes, difficulty of any kind, or unstructured outlines.

However, it's up to the writers whether or not they stay in that diagnosis, or be INTENTIONAL and push to fix it---not simply treat the symptoms.  Make sense? *nods*

Regarding this very subject, I read an amazing article that sums this up nicely and has a simple four-step plan for overcoming this nasty thing.

For me, I struggle with all of the above-mentioned negative traits: doubts, boredom, plot difficulties, and unstructured EVERYTHING.  But my biggest problem is most likely the most common---TIME I procrastinate, because I don't make time to write.  And my stories and poor characters suffer for it.  Aaaannnddd I tend to blame it all on reality. 

So.

What am I going to do?  
First, make a check list.  (Cuz I love to make lists and then actively cross 'em off) :]

  • Make time.  Time is a gift.  One I wish to use wisely and on things I enjoy.  My goal is to set TEN minutes of my time aside every day to write a minimum word count for my current WIP.
  • Be intentional.  Goals literally DO NOT complete themselves.  Ever since reading a dear blogger-friend's inspirational 2018 post, that word [intentional] has stuck with me.  I've realized over at least the past two years, I have not been deliberate in the many things I've wished to be diligent and intentional in.  Writing is certainly one of them.  As a result, those hobbies/goals have gotten nowhere fast.  I've said I wanted to change that, but have I?  Sadly, no.  Change, I must!
  • Find joy!  Have fun!  Writing, blogging, painting, reading---these are all things I so enjoy in my wonderful life.  But if I don't make time, be intentional, or actively find the joy in the midst of it all (which includes accomplishing goals) nothing of what I've shared will be true.  Writing is a passion, and that makes it enjoyable to me.  :]
> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

*takes deep breath*
With all that said. . . I NEED ACCOUNTABILITY!! Which is why I've shared this long spiel with all you dears.  No one understands us writers better than other writers in the bloggy world.  *nods vigorously*  Thanks for hanging in there, y'all.  I think I needed to share this.  Motivation spurs intentionality. (Is that a word??) 

So now, I'm off to follow my own simple advise.  I'm gonna log out, pulled up my Noya docs, and see how far I can get before my soft, warm bed calls me.  :]  Good evening to you!


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <
What of you, me lovelies?
Do you suffer from the dreaded Writers Procrastination? You're not alone! I could betcha cookies every author and writer has endured the same. So, how do YOU overcome? Do share!

Happy Valentine's Day!

So, I realized yesterday, I haven't posted my usual posts for the week (or hardly anything last week, for that matter).  Nor have I even drafted them or prepared ANYTHING for the week. . .

*le sigh*  

Well, as it is the lovely little holiday that celebrates the memory of St. Valentine,
Happy Valentine's Day!!


Ah, Shakespeare.  While I've never actually read the romantic play of Romeo & Juliet, I believe I understand enough of the gist of the story.  And the above quote happens to be one of my favorites.  

Most of the time, we associate Valentine's Day as only a romantic "holiday."  But to me Valentine's Day represents not just agape-love, which is the highest form of love, unconditional; but also philia-love, brotherly, familial love.  

If you have come to dread this holiday because there's not yet a "significant other" in your life, DON'T.  Make it something special!  Celebrate the love you have for your family and friends.  Don't miss out on the little things.


Today also happens to be the anniversary to my surrendering completely to my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ.  I have full faith in Him, and believe Him to be the resurrected Son of God.  He saved me from an eternity in Sheol, and will forever be my first Valentine.  :]

And of course, I wish my amazing husband, Evan, a Happy Valentine's Day!  His unconditional love reminds me of our Lord's and our love story is most certainly my favorite.  I love you, Hubs!  <3


P.S.
If you're in the mood for a short story, click here to read one I wrote for Valentine's Day way back in 2015.

Happy Day, y'all.

The Bibliophile Sweater Tag

A HUGE thank-you to my dear friend Jameson, from Lovely Whatsoevers, for passing this little tag on to me!  Go on, click on over to view her post.  The books she lists are so intriguing -- you'll want to add them to your TBR list (if you haven't already), and her photos for each are PERFECT.


"GUIDELINES"

1] Give the person who tagged you a never-ending supply of cookies (or just thank them - either works)

2] Answer all the questions and use the blog graphic for this tag somewhere in your post (either the one above, or design your own!)
3] Pass along the tag to at least five other people to wear a sweater (okay, this is optional...but why wouldn't you want to??).





(Please bear with me on the photos, y'all. . . They were the best I could do under the circumstances of horrid lighting and cold, rainy weather.  Heheh. . .)

> > > > > < < < < <
Fuzzy sweater 
(a book that is the epitome of comfort)

I adored this little novel.  Unforgettable is one of those good, clean romances that leave you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside.  This was the first book of the author's that I had picked up, and I was pleasantly surprised.  (Although I may have had high expectations due to the fact the MC owned a dance studio. . .)  ;D
*****
> > > > > < < < < <
Striped sweater

(book which you devoured every line of)



Oh my.  THIS BOOK.  I definitely devoured every line of mystery, intrigue, wit, and humor in this novel.  Anon, Sir, Anon had me laughing more than any other murder mystery I've read.  The writing style and hilarity is similar to that of P.G. Wodehouse (another great reason to snag this one) and Rachel Heffington's characters were spot on and full of wit.  Extremely likable from the start! 
*****
> > > > > < < < < <
Ugly Christmas sweater
(book with a weird cover)

The cover of this one may not be as weird as the title itself. . . But I couldn't find a stranger one right away.  (What does that say of my library?  Do I really judge a book by its cover??  Probably. . . *wicked laugh*)  The Tattooed Rats is an interesting, if not a kinda scary take on the future where Christians are in hiding for their faith and followers of Christ turn out to be members of a gang, covered in tattoos, and probably the only ones that Patch (the MC) can trust.  Faith is challenged, betrayal abounds, true friends are difficult to find, and spiritual forces battle (literally) for the fate of the world.
****
> > > > > < < < < <
Cashmere sweater
(most expensive book you've bought)

Honestly, this was a difficult subject to answer, as most every book I own and purchase is either thrifted or hunted down until a reasonable price is discovered.  Seriously, I don't ever pay more than $3-$5 for a book, on average.  There are some exceptions, of course, where I MAY dish out a whole $10 for a special something. . . xD  Haha, no really.  Unless it's some antique, in-great-condition book/one I've been hunting FOREVER, then I rarely spend more that $3.  This one, however, was an exception.  And, while it isn't a fiction story, rather a dictionary of biblical names, I still think it counts for this tag.  (Right??)  All the Names in the Bible is pretty amazing if you are an appellationist -- a collector of names -- like myself.  (Click here to see the unofficial definition of appellationist.  The article is rather hilarious! It has a list of funny names of actual real people.)  I spent maybe $18 for this thing.  O__O I know! So much moolah. . . Still, extremely worth it!
*****
> > > > > < < < < <
Hoodie
(favorite classic book)

If you've seen and loved the 2004 BBC drama North & South featuring Richard Armitage and Daniela Denby-Ashe, then you'll know what this classic novel is.  It's just as good as the mini-series, if not even better -- in my opinion.  While in the drama you get to SEE the characters and their circumstances and squeal like little girls and wish you could live in a period drama, the book adds so much more to the story and characters themselves.  I actually liked the ending a little better in the book than I did in the film.  But I'm not gonna give it away. *maniacal laugh* READ it yourself!!
*****
> > > > > < < < < <
Cardigan
(book that you bought on impulse)

This was definitely an impulsive buy.  And I wasn't disappointed!  It was such an intriguing storyline, I had a rather difficult time putting it down.  In Origin, you follow the steps of Pia, a genetically altered girl of seventeen, who is meant to be the start of an immortal race of humans.  She's been an unknowing prisoner of a laboratory compound deep in a jungle, until she finds a hole in the fence.  Despite the studies and knowledge she's gathered over the years, she knows little of the world that exists outside, and just how wondrous it can be in person.  Or what secrets can be discovered.
****
> > > > > < < < < <
Turtleneck sweater
(book from your childhood)

There are so many I could list here: the Nancy Drew series, Junie B. Jones books, 
the DragonKeeper Chronicles,  the Magic Treehouse series, the Cooper Kids series, the Chronicles of Narnia, Twilight Child, ALL the Louis L'Amour westerns, and so many more.  But I chose this not-so-well-known one because it's one of my absolute favorites (which probably doesn't mean much as I have countless absolute favorites, but still. . .).  Written by the author of the Redwall series, Castaways of the Flying Dutchman is an intriguing tale of a boy and his dog who happen to get caught up in the curse of the Flying Dutchman, a ship captained by a rather wicked man (not the Davy Jones from PotC).  A trilogy, it follows the now-immortal two as they travel the world serving those in need and solving mysteries and riddles in the villages they stumble upon.  In short, they're almost like guardians.  Love this one!
*****  
> > > > > < < < < <
Homemade knitted sweater
(book that is Indie-published)

An amazing debut novel from an amazing, bloggy friend! (aka Jameson)  :]  The Assassin's Daughter was an easy, clean read.  If you love fantasy, reluctant assassins, sweet friendships, government rebels, and adventure, then you'll enjoy this novel.  I love Kat and Ed's friendship.  And the character Delest is SO INTRIGUING.  Can't wait for the second book!!
****
> > > > > < < < < <
V-neck sweater
(book that did not meet your expectations)

TT_TT
*sobs*  I was SO DISAPPOINTED in this one.  So much so, I didn't finish it.  *GASPS* I know, I know.  I tried so hard to get into the story and the characters, simply because the premise and story idea seemed so unique and most certainly intriguing.  HOWEVER, due to the amount and content of language, the outright bratty attitude of the macho "heroine," among other issues, I couldn't stand it or get any further than the first ten chapters. . .  That said, I have no rating for Stormdancer, and would not recommend.

> > > > > < < < < <
Argyle sweater
(book with a unique format)

I believe this one fits into the "unique format," right?  :]  This is a book where the reader will either like it or not.  I actually enjoyed this one simple because it was COMPLETELY different from any other novel I've read.  Set in 2250, Aquifer focuses on a community of people living on the barren wastes of the earth.  Water is scarce and extremely precious.  The people rely on their Deliverers, a generation of men chosen to travel to the underground depths to treaty with the Water Rats down below who mine the water.  Those who govern the people do so cruelly, and it's up to sixteen-year-old Luca to expose their tyranny.  An interesting, clean read with a teensy bit of romance, a dose of faith, and the journey for truth.  (Read my review here.)
****
> > > > > < < < < <
Polka dot sweater
(a book with well-rounded characters)

Ahhh, last but certainly not least, a novel I most recently finished reading.  AND ABSOLUTELY LOVED.  Wildwood Dancing is a fantastic, whimsical faerietale retelling based on the stories of The 12 Dancing Princesses and The Frog Prince.  Don't go judging too quickly, however, as this story is completely and wholly original.  Any fantasy, faerietale-lover will enjoy this book.  The characters are so well-fleshed out, extremely easy to relate to, and of course lovable.  I love Jena's character, second eldest of five sisters and the practical, sensible one.  She feels the burden of providing for her family while their father is away recovering from an illness.  She makes many mistakes, to be sure, and she comes to learn she simply cannot do everything on her own.  But her sisters stick by her through it all, and while there may be times for sorrow, faerietales have happy endings.  :]
*****

THE NOMINEES
[Please feel free to skip the tag, if you'd like.  You're not obligated!]
Hannah @ Plottinger Twist
Catherine @ The Rebelling Muse
Katie Grace @ A Writer's Faith
And anyone else who would like to join in!  Just because your name isn't listed doesn't mean you're not permitted to partake.  If you do, please let me know! I'd love to see your post.  :]

 THE QUESTIONS
Fuzzy sweater (a book that is the epitome of comfort)
Striped sweater (book which you devoured every line of)
Ugly Christmas sweater (book with a weird cover)
Cashmere sweater (most expensive book you've bought)
Hoodie (favorite classic book)
Cardigan (book that you bought on impulse)
Turtleneck sweater (book from your childhood)
Homemade knitted sweater (book that is Indie-published)
V-neck sweater (book that did not meet your expectations)
Argyle sweater (book with a unique format)
Polka dot sweater (a book with well-rounded characters)