A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? >> Regular + Places


It's a new week, friends---happy Wednesday!  I cannot believe April is basically half over already.  Which means in a little over a month, we will be welcoming our THIRD halfling to our little family!  But, you're probably not here for updates... ;D

So---
TODAY, I have a new Name post (at last)!

Enjoy.


> > > > > < < < < <


REGULAR



Dayo

M & F | Western African, Yoruba

Means "joy arrives" in Yoruba.




Freida

| English, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Ancient Germanic
FREE-dÉ™

Variant of Frieda, which is ultimately derived from the Germanic name, Frida---originally a short form of other feminine names containing the Germanic element frid, meaning "peace."  This is also the Scandinavian equivalent, from the Old Norse cognate FrĂ­Ă°a, of the same meaningA famous bearer of this name was the Mexican painter Frida Kahlo (1907-1954).

Theron

| English
TEH-RAWN (Classical Greek),  THEHR-en (English)

Derived from Greek therao, meaning "to hunt."









> > > > > < < < < <


PLACE NAMES


Abilene
F | English (rare)
AB-i-leen,  ab-i-LEE-nee

From a place name briefly mentioned in the New Testament.  Could possibly come from Hebrew 'avel, meaning "meadow, grassy area." 



Raleigh

M & F | English
RAW-lee,  RAH-lee


From an English surname, derived from a place name, meaning either "red clearing" or "roe deer clearing" in Old English.  A North Carolina city bears this name, so named after the English courtier, poet, and explorer Sir Walter Raleigh (1552-1618).



Casiphia

F | Biblical, English (rare, Archaic)
kas-i-FEE-É™,  ke-SIF-ee-É™ (Biblical English)


From a place name mentioned only by the Old Testament prophet Ezra, which was said to be a corruption of Caspian.  Could possibly mean "place of the treasury," from Hebrew keceph meaning "silver, money."



Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.



> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

What do ya think of these, me dearies?
Do let me know.  And have a happy week!  :]

Comments

  1. EEP. I cannot believe how close you are to having baby #3! So exciting!!! Been praying for health for you and Baby. <3

    Once again, you have landed on some FANTABULOUS names. I've always liked the name Dayo, it's a fun one. And Theron is so great! :O That'd be an epic name for a fantasy character.

    AND ABILENE IS SO CUTE. That may be my favorite of this set! Though I also love Casiphia--so unique! Thank you again for another amazing list of names!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your due date is that close?! Exciting!!
    Love the meaning of Dayo! Oo, and Theron's cool/interesting!
    I think Abilene and Casiphia, nn Abby and Cassie, would be a cute sibset! Casiphia is so fun to say, especially in an Italian accent with the hand gesture!! xD

    Thank you for sharing! I seriously started grinning when I saw you posted! :-D
    Hope you have a wonderful day and weekend!!

    (So. many. exclamation points. Sheesh. xD)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I love name meanings!
    Congratulations on your baby!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…