A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

REVIEW >> The Windward King

Happy day, y'all!

Regrettably, I've missed my Name post for this week, but I'll do my best to get the next one up in a couple weeks.  For today, I've a rather short, long overdue review.  And it's one I would certainly recommend!

Read on!

> > > > > < < < < <

The Windward King
K.T. Ivanrest

Ink Drake Press | October 29th, 2021
Fantasy, YA Fiction

{GoodReads}
He can change how he looks—but not who he is.

All his life, Shara has struggled to keep up with the rest of his shapeshifter clan. A poor shifter with little talent and even less confidence, he excels only at inadequacy.

When his determination to prove himself results in the brutal injury of a clanmate, Shara flees his home in shame. Taking refuge in the human capital city, he resolves to become as inconsequential as possible—until the prince regent is abducted days before his coronation and Shara is forced to take his place.

Thrust into a world of controlling advisors, scheming pirates, and calculating dignitaries, Shara fumbles through his royal duties. His next mistake could spell disaster for the entire kingdom, but he may also be the only person capable of seeing beyond old prejudices to the truth of the prince’s disappearance.

But if he’s going to stop a war, find the prince, and return to his life of invisibility, he’ll have to rely on the one person he knows for sure he can’t trust—himself.


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <
WARNING: Possible Spoilers!

THE BASICS
I didn't know much of this lovely little novel, but upon receiving it as a Christmas gift, I promptly devoured it in a few days' time.  It had such a refreshing feel to the writing, the characters, & the story itself---I wholly enjoyed it!

Shara is the sweetest little cinnamon roll.  He lacks all kinds of self-confidence & is bullied for his deficiency of skill when it comes to shifting, though he manages to hold his own in serious situations.  But he runs away in shame when an innocent mistake causes severe injury to a peer.  Life gives him another chance in a new world & he learns to fit in by running away.  And the rest you'll have to discover for yourself.  *sly grin*  I will only add that his character arc was BEAUTIFUL, and the storyworld complex, but simple enough to understand.  In short, I loved this story!

VIOLENCE
Quite mild, if I recall correctly.  It's been a few months since I've read this (and just now getting to the review, haha)...

A clanmate is seriously wounded by a monster-like creature called a neeka---bloody wounds and impaled by a tree limb.  

A house fire nearly claims a man's life.  A man is found stabbed in the side---blood covers his clothing.

SPIRITUAL CONTENT
A character prays in a chapel.

The Alvithi people (the shapeshifting race) pray to the Eagle.  The Barathi humans pray to the Guide.  (Both can be likened to the One God, I believe.)  One man has a small shrine to the Guide in his home.

LANGUAGE // ALCOHOL & DRUGS
None, other than the more original, slang words like, "hills," and "burrs."

Some drink a nearly black-colored wine, known as "Sailor's Blood."

A character's health is questionable due to some kind of immune or muscular disease---I don't recall it ever being said what he had exactly, but he suffered from fatigue, would be bed-ridden (unwillingly, but couldn't be helped), & used a cane as a last resort (pride thing).  

ROMANTIC CONTENT
None to speak of, really.  

The phrase "half-breed whore" is used in reference to a character with illegitimate ties.  

Shara, disguised as the king, finds himself attracted to one of the noble ladies.  They chat quite easily, but nothing really comes of it.  At least in this story... 

CONCLUSION
All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by this story from an unfamiliar author.  I enjoyed the story, the world-building, and the CHARACTERS.  Shara was wonderful---I mean, COME ONNNN.  Shapeshifting!!  I LOVED it.  And he grew so much in character & personality.  And KORITH.  Absolutely EVERYONE needs a mentor-friend like him!!!  Also, those are just the two main characters!  Seriously, I would highly recommend this clean, thrilling fantasy to all my fellow bookdragons.  Go on.  Add to your TBRs!!  ;D  You know you want to.


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

5 OUT OF 5 STARS
Ages: 15+

Comments

  1. Ooooh! I've been eyeing this one ever since it released. It sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …