A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? // Nicknames + Surnames


Happy Wednesday, lovelies!
How fares your week thus far?  

At last, I have another Name post!  These were quite fun to research.
Enjoy.



NICKNAMES



Monty
Montreal
| English (rare), African American
MAHN-tray-ahl, mon-TRAYL

From the name of a Canadian city, whose name is a variant of "Mount Royal."
Netta
Janetta
English (rare)
jə-NEHT-ə

Elaborated form of Janet, which is a Medieval diminutive of Jane---ultimately derived from John, meaning "Yahweh is gracious."
Deo
Amadeus
| Late Roman
ahm-ə-DAY-əs (English), ahm-ə-DEE-əs (English)

Means "love of God," derived from Latin amare "to love" and Deus "God."  A famous bearer of this name was the Austrian composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791), who was actually born Wolfgang Theophilus Mozart, but preferred the Latin translation of his Greek middle name.  E.T.A. Hoffmann (1776-1822), a German novelist, assumed this name as a middle name in honor of Mozart.

Thea
Alethea
| English
al-ə-THEE-əə-LEE-thee-ə

Derived from the Greek aletheia, meaning "truth."  This name was coined in the 16th century.





SURNAMES



de la Noy
English (?), Hebrew

Unknown.  But possibly from the given name Noy, which means "beauty" in Hebrew.  De la could be translated from either a) Romanian, meaning "from", or b) French or Spanish meaning "of the". 



Dergregorian


Unknown origin.  Could possibly mean "imaginative," "wealth," and "adventurer." Similar surnames include: De Gregorio, Di Gregorio, Derderian, Gregorian, Grigorian, or De Gregory.  I'm not sure where I came upon this surname, but I jotted it down ages ago for it's uniqueness. 



Morrow
Irish (Anglicizd), Scottish

Shortened, Anglicized form of Gaelic Mac MurchadhaMcMorrow is the Anglicized form Mac Murchadha, a patronymic from the personal name Murchadh, meaning "sea warrior." 



Woodhouse
English

Meaning unknown (except for the obvious "wood house", haha).  However, you might recognize it from Jane Austen's novel, Emma, as the surname of the main character for whom the book is titled.


Photos via Pinterest.
Names & meanings via behindthename.com

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

TALK TO ME!
Which of these do you like best?

Personally, I like them all, but Deo & Thea may be my favorites of the nicknames.  And that Dergregorian!  xDDD I keep thinking, "how in the world would I use that??" Such a unique surname---I love it!

A huge thanks to Julie for all her great name suggestions!!!  I'll be sharing more from her store of names, and even take her up on some new theme ideas.  So, keep an eye out for future posts!  I'll post them as consistently as I'm able.  ;D

That's all for today, dear beans!
TTFN.  <3

Comments

  1. I absolutely love Monty for Montreal, and the nickname Thea is adorable!! And those surnames are so interesting! de la Noy is probably my favorite.
    {Aaahaahahadkjfaldkjalk, I got mentioned in a post!} You are so, so welcome and I'm so excited to see your future name posts!!
    Have a lovely day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always LOVE your name posts! And I especially enjoy the nicknames ones--you come up with the best ideas for nicknames! I honestly don't even know if I have a favorite this time. They're ALL really interesting and unique names! Though I do REALLY like Morrow for a surname. It's got such a nice ring to it. Thank you so much for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…