A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Be Encouraged >> Expectations


2020 has come!
And January is nearly over.
Maybe you weren't ready for this new year.  Perhaps 2019 didn't go as you had hoped.  Maybe you're still single.  Maybe your dreams are (unsurprisingly) unfulfilled & nowhere near your end goal.  Maybe you're still in school when you had hoped to have graduated by now.  Or perhaps you did graduate & you're currently [still] job hunting.
Regardless all the "maybe's," the "what-ifs," your hopes & dreams, and all the plans you have made, know this:
You are right where God intends you to be!

I know that's most likely NOT what you wish to hear.  You need something to help motivate you, right?  Something to bolster your spirit---to encourage you & reassure that you are not simply spinning your wheels in the repetitive cycle your life may look like now.
But, oh how true is the fact you are right where you need to be.  God gives us these trials & experiences to grow & refine us into who we're meant to be from the Beginning.

However, that's not to say, if you are stuck in a bad place, or in certain unhealthy circumstances that you should remain there.  Absolutely not!  You can seek help---please do!---and know you can always call on Him no matter where you are.  He could have a reason for allowing those unfortunate situations.  Who knows but He, that perhaps one day, having that experience, you'll be able to help someone else who is presently going through those same circumstances you did.


We all have expectations.  And it's a fact of life that there's a pretty high chance nothing will come of a good bit of them.  Sorry to burst your bubble...  I certainly don't mean to be an Eeyore for this post.  That said, what matters the most is your reaction when your expectations take a nose dive---when dreams remain dreams; when situations spin out of your control; when your perspective takes a severe hit.

If you allow those failed/unfulfilled dreams to drag you down instead of pressing onward with a Godward focus, then you've allowed yourself to see them as an idol---however unintentionally.

Photo by Jason Wong on Unsplash

Beloved sister,
You are still single at this time for a purpose.  Though that may be difficult to understand at this time.  In time, & if you are faithful to Him, you will come to see.  God may still be molding & growing your walk with Him further & further until He sends Mr Darcy your way.  Or, it could be that He's drawing that special man closer to Him before deeming him ready to introduce to you.

Whatever it may be, it is of the utmost importance that you strive to live for God alone.
Dance with God, & He'll allow the perfect man to cut in.


Beloved sister,
Don't give up on your dreams!  But please, please, PLEASE don't give them permission to change your perspective, or cloud your focus.  Be open & willing to listen.  To understand.  To change course, even.

If you have surrendered to the High King, your life is not your own.  You have been called for so. Much. MORE.

What an AWESOME way to live! 
You have something many are still searching for &, unfortunately, some won't find:
PURPOSE.

So, hold on to those dreams, but expect nothing less than God's will.
Far easier said than truly understood, am I right?  But that's where the 
listening comes in.  :]

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

TALK TO ME.
Is this something you've been struggling with of late?  Or for years, even?  I see this so often in the girls around me.  They search for happiness & joy & purpose outside of God, and while others in their circle sees the answer right in front of them, they remain blind & keep searching in things that will leave them unfulfilled.  I've said it before, dear hearts, but that God-sized hole in your heart is God-sized for a reason.

Believe me!  I was in your shoes not too long ago, especially in regards to my struggles during my single years.  But it wasn't until I completely surrendered my future & stopped worrying over things I had no control over, that God answered my prayers.

How wonderful He listens to us!

You need only speak to Him first.
<3

Comments

  1. I was so happy to see this post on my dashboard! The title of these posts is so accurate, because they absolute encourage me. Every single time. I love your heart, Sarah! And can I just give a big AMEN to this? I often look back on my teen years, or even early 20s, and shake my head out how I thought I knew exactly how my life should go. I had it all planned out, and then when it wasn't happening, I was so disheartened. Now I am SO GLAD all of MY plans didn't come to pass. The life I THOUGHT I wanted really wasn't what I wanted after all. All that to say, I am so eternally grateful for an all-knowing God who has my life in HIS hands. Because, man, if it was all up to me it'd be a disaster.

    I'm still learning this. Still remembering I AM right where I supposed to be. Discontentment definitely rears its ugly head more often than I'd like, but I'm learning to shove it away, to find joy right where I am, and know God's got it all under control.

    I looove how you put it: "If you allow those failed/unfulfilled dreams to drag you down instead of pressing onward with a Godward focus, then you've allowed yourself to see them as an idol---however unintentionally." YES. SO MUCH YES. I have absolutely fallen in that idol trap. It's not a pretty place to be in.

    Thank you so much for this wonderful reminder! It blessed me today. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know just how happy your amazing comments make me, girl! I'm soooo very pleased to hear these encourage you. <3 And YESSS, Amens are most certainly welcome. ;D Also, ALL that you said about looking back---I couldn't say it any better. I feel the same way! I'm such a CLUTZ. And then I try to FIX THE THINGS. *SIGHS*

      And so am I! It's so important we never forget God's in control & joy is something we choose. :]

      Awww, thank you! You're definitely not alone! It's so hard not to fall into that trap.

      Love you, dear girl! <333

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …