A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Be Encouraged || A Godward Focus

None of us measures up to what we long to be.
- Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth -


Believe it or not, as ladies striving to be more like Christ, we have a job description.  And it's not just to become the Proverbs 31 woman, although that is a great example to endeavor to be.  

You remember how we talked about each of us being both a younger AND an older woman to others around us?  And in being that, we can build the core relationships that are so necessary in the Christian faith?  The only way to do so successfully is in keeping a Godward focus.  I rather like that phrase, don't you?  All too often we lose sight of what's ahead of us, because we keep focusing on what's behind.  


"Let your eyes look forward; fix your gaze straight ahead."
- Proverbs 4:25 -

So, what does the "job description" then entail?  And how can we keep that Godward focus?
Look at the passages of Titus 2:3-5 (Because this book study I'm into focuses on this particular bit of Scripture, be warned we'll be visiting & revisiting these verses in the weeks to come! ;])
"Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored."
Titus 2:3-5



I love how Mrs Wolgemuth states it:

"If you're an older woman, teaching good things to younger women is part of your job description.  God has a purpose for you in this season of life that is vital & no one but you can fulfill.  The assumption is that you have learned how to apply the sound teaching of God's Word to your behavior, affections, relationships, priorities---everything---and that you are committed to take what you have learned and pass it on to others.  This should be the norm, not the exception."
(p.71 of Adorned)

Wow! This applies to those of us in our 20s, you know.  Because there's a teen girl who just turned 16 or a high school graduate at age 18, who are searching for the advice and experience we can give.  You may think you're not qualified, but EVERYONE has some form of experience.  Maybe they simply need a friend.  YOU could be that to them.


Nancy continues to state the following:

". . .if you're a younger woman, this passage raises important questions for you: Who are you learning from?  Who are your teachers?  Are they mostly your peers?  What online communities are saturating your thinking and shaping your relationships?  What celebrities are influencing your values, you sense of identity and purpose?"
(p.71 of Adorned)

Those are some thought-provoking questions.  Can we answer them?

For me, I have a dear friend who is only a couple years older than my six & twenty, but I so look up to her.  She lives out her faith so beautifully and boldly.  God is visible to her in absolutely everythingOh how I wish my faith were as strong as I see in hers!

Do you have some such person?  I hope so!  And if not, I would encourage you to seek one out.  This could be an older lady in your church's women's ministry, or the sweet mother of four next door.  We all need someone to learn from, whether or not you realize this.  Perhaps your own mother is not near enough to you, but there's an older, godly lady who works with you at the store that you find yourself looking up to.  Seek her out!  She may not feel qualified themselves, but as mentioned before, we all have experience we can share.  And who knows? she may love that you asked her.


Again, Mrs Wolgemuth sums this up wonderfully:

"The roles of older woman---lovingly teaching what is good---and younger woman---humbly learning---are for all of us.  They're what Scripture calls us to.  None of us belongs on the sidelines."
(p.81 of Adorned)

So, keep that Godward focus.  Don't measure yourself by others' standards, measure yourself by His.  Be willing to be open with the younger ladies in your life, and also be willing to humbly learn from the older ones.

I cannot say it any better than that.  :]

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Talk with me!  Do you have a friend/mentor---someone older you look up to?  If not, is there someone you have in mind, you just need a nudge to ask if she would be that person for you? 
*pushes you in right direction* 
Go to her!  You may just make her day.  In my experience, people love to be needed.  <3

Comments

  1. Oh wow. I think this post out of all the ones you've done of this series spoke to me the hardest thus far. I have ALWAYS had a heart for teenage girls. Supporting, encouraging, and just being a mentor of sorts to younger girls is a longing I've always had, and I'm always filled up whenever I am around teenage girls. Buuut so often I definitely, definitely feel unqualified. I needed that reminder that we ALL have some kind of wisdom to impart. But even if we don't, everyone just needs a friend and someone to listen to them. YES. Words I must remember.

    This whole post touched me so deeply. Thank you, THANK YOU for sharing all that you're learning from this study. I'm just soaking it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Sorry to reply so late) Awww, I can totally see you as a role model and mentor for young girls! You would be such an inspiration. <3 I certainly understand the feeling of not inadequacy. But it's so amazing to know that God equips us in our passions lie parallel to His. :D

      Soooo pleased to know these posts bless you as much as they do me. <3

      Delete
  2. "The assumption is that you have learned [...] and that you are committed to take what you have learned and pass it on to others. This should be the norm, not the exception."

    "None of us belongs on the sidelines."

    Those two quotes really hit the nail on the head for me. I need to (and desire to) take more initiative in seeking out younger women to influence and encourage. Thanks for passing on the push.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Same here.

      I am so with you. And right now I'm working towards that desire in partnering with an older lady and one my age at church to begin what we are calling a Titus 2 Workshop. (I'll give more details in my next email) :]

      <3 <3 <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…