A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name?


Happy Monday, friends!
How do you do on this lovely November day?  Today may very well be the last of the warm weather here in my neck o' the woods before the rain comes late this evening, bringing the 40-degree days. . .  I am SO not ready for the COLD.  *shudders*  Those of you already seeing snow are probably laughing at me, but SERIOUSLY, I wasn't made for Winter! I'm too warm-blooded.  ;D

Anywho.  How fare ye in regards to NaNo?  Can you believe we're already 11 days in???  WHAAAT.  I've been working pretty steadily on Noya.  I felt good about the prologue, but the following chapters have seemed really slooooow. . . I'm already worried about keeping my reader's attention---but totally trying to ignore that because SARAH, THIS IS THE FIRST DRAFT, OKAY.

I've a fresh set of names for you, mah frens.
And when I was finishing up this draft & finding the meanings of these lovelies below, I learned that today the Name of the Day on my go-to website is my own!  --> SARAH

So, here's to all my fellow Sarahs:
Your name means "princess," or "lady, noblewoman" in the Hebrew.  What a lovely name to bear!

For the non-Sarahs:
Your names are pretty cool too. ;D

> > > > > < < < < <

Enjoy these, y'all.

> > > > > < < < < <

Rocco
| Italian, Ancient German

Germanic name derived from the element hrok meaning "rest."  A 14th-century French saint bore this name.  He was known for tending to victims of the plague, but eventually contracted the disease himself---he is the patron saint of the sick.

Antiope
Greek, Greek mythology
ann-TIE-oh-pee

Derived from the Greek elements anti "against, compared to, like" and ops "voice."  This was the name of many figures in Greek mythology, including a daughter of Ares, who was one of the queens of the Amazons.  She was kidnapped by and married to Theseus.

NOTE:  This was the given name of Diana's friend & mentor in the 2017 Wonder Woman film. <-- LOOOOVE


Najee
| Arabic

Possibly means "good friend" in Arabic.


Sabriel
| English, Hebrew, Literature

Most likely means "the rest of God," derived from Hebrew elements sabi "stop, rest" and el "God".  In Garth Nix's fantasy novel titled 'Sabriel' (1995), this is the given name of the heroine of the story and an important protagonist in the following two sequels.


Evander
Greek mythology (Latinized), Roman mythology

Variant of Evandrus, the Latin form of the Greek name Euandrus, meaning "good man" (derived from the elements eu "good" & aner "man").  In Roman mythology, Evander was the given name of a Trojan hero who founded the city of Pallantium, near where Rome was later built.


Errow
M & F English (rare)

Possibly a variant of the English word arrow.










Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Talk to me!  Got any faves of this set?? :]

Have a lovely week, y'all.  And happy NaNo'ing to all you insane beans. xD (I must be one of 'em)
<333

Comments

  1. Wow these are some of the most unique names I've seen! I love Sabriel, for some reason it evokes images of gold filigree in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love this set so much. xD And yes, it's such a unique & lovely name---love how you see those images in regards to it! There's a story in the making ;D

      Delete
  2. I feel like the beginning of my NaNo novel dragged a little too. And now I've hit the halfway point and everything has EXPLODED and I'm just like, "Whoa, guys, slow down!" so...yeah. No balance. XD But YES. First drafts! All things can be fixed later. Right now the goal is to get the words down, and you're doing amazing, girl!

    Okay but THESE NAMES. Sabriel, Evander, AND Errow are AH-MAY-ZING!!! Those may be some of my favorites you've featured yet! *rushes off to write them down*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Love that feeling! Though it can be a little overwhelming ;D Awww, thank you, Christine! Keep at 'em, girl!

      I KNOW. I LOVE THESE. I'm not sure I can truly pick a favorite... Yes, yes, YESSSSS---USE THEM!!!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…