A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Know the Novel // Part Two: Within the WIP


Hullo, all!
I'm sharing the second part of the Know the Novel linkup today! hosted by my friend Christine. <3

If you are a writer, I heartily recommend joining in!  Even if you aren't partaking of the insanity that is NaNo this year, these questions are wonderful for your current WIP(s).

I've been steadily working on Noya's story these last fifteen days, and am quite pleased at the progress I've made.  NINE chapters in, and I keep complaining about how the story seems so slow. . . That, in turn, makes me worry about how engaged my reader(s) will be. . .  But it's COMPLETELY useless to worry about such things in the first draft, right?  Right.

What I've learned over the years in regards to writing always rings true:
The whole point of the first draft is simply to WRITE. 


Onward to the linkup!

> > > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

THE INFO
Know the Novel is a 3-part writers linkup series, one for each of these last three months of the year.
Each part will feature ten questions you can answer on your own blog (or anywhere else on social media, if you’d like!). The questions will be focusing on different parts of your novel and how the writing is going.
> > > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

THE QUESTIONS
1.  How's the writing going overall?
Well. . . It seems I've sorta answered this in my post intro above, heheh.  It's going swell.  :]  I'm just worrying like the chronic worrier I am.  But I am extremely pleased at how steadily I've been diligent in writing each day.  With the exception of two or three days, thanks to an odd job or feeling under the weather, I've been so productive!

source
2.  What's been the most fun aspect of writing this novel so far?
Hmmm.  To be honest, I've yet to even meet the--er, Beast.  Haha.  Yep.  Nine chapters, and I've yet to officially introduce one of the MAIN CHARACTERS (with exception of the prologue, of course).  Once that happens---VERY SOON---I expect my writing to kinda explode.

But so far, I'd say I've had the most fun getting a feel for my characters---specifically Noya and her brother Brom, as well as a couple other minor characters.

And the setting!  I love figuring out the vastness that the continent of Neris is and all it consists of.

3.  What do you think of your characters at this point? Who's your favorite to write about?
I love them SO MUCH.  I enjoy writing about the dynamics of a loving family and strong sibling relationships.  It's still a little bit of a struggle trying to flesh out my characters and make them unique and relateable, but so far, Brom and Noya are my favorite to write about.  This story is seen through their perspectives, and I love switching their POVs and seeing how they view each other and their surroundings differently, as well as discovering just where their passions and dreams lie.

Brom has surprised me, in a way.  He's one of those guys with a wanderlust.  It hurts to be apart from his family, but at the same time, he NEEDS the adventure that travel and a purpose in life brings.

Sweet Noya reminds me of myself, I suppose.  She's shy, insecure, and more at home in a building of books than in any kind of social setting.  A large amount of people tends to drown her.  She is wholly loyal to her family first & foremost, and though her timid personality causes her to believe she lacks the ability to be brave & have courage, she surprises herself by standing strong when it's her loved ones in harm's way.

4.  Has your novel surprised you in any way?
Yes!  As mentioned above, both Noya & Brom have surprised me in their personality and character traits---Brom, more so.  But at least two other characters have as well: Master Jedoran "Boon" Black, and Laomer Cayne.

Laomer was originally supposed to be the Gaston-like character in this story.  But instead, he became a handsome, hard-working (but rich), gentleman and friend??? to the Enlow family.  It's quite obvious he fancies Noya, of course, and her emotions in regards to him are often confused and shy, being as unused to such attentions as a white crayon is.  In her hometown of Meyrn, she was more of an outcast and considered odd & unsociable by her peers.  So, yes.  COMPLETELY unsure where this is gonna go, but. . . WE'LL SEE.

Master Black.  Well. . . I already knew he was a mysterious figure with a background of untold intrigue and experience.  But I LOVE HIM SO MUCH.  He's kinda like a cool uncle to Noya, and has become a mentor to her, furthering the already extensive education she had back in Meyrn, but doing so in such a way, it opens up a whole new world to her eyes.  Much of the history lessons she was taught barely touches on what Master Black can tell her.  Also, he's AWESOME---but #SPOILERS.

5.  Have you come across any problem areas?
Nothing specifically, no. . . Unless you count the slowness of the pre-climax happenings.  There's been basically NO action up to this point, I'm afraid.  So that could definitely be considered a problem area, I'm sure.  *facepalm*

6.  What's been your biggest victory with writing your novel at this point?
I'd say it'd been the fact I've written steadily nearly every day so far.  Truly, I've only missed two days, I think!  While I am behind in my word count, I have a feeling once I get to a certain part, that won't be a problem.  I'm semi-confidant I can make it to 50k this year.  I'll be ECSTATIC if I happen to win!  But if not, I'll still be content that I made it as far as I did.  :]

source
7.  If you were transported into your novel and became any one of your characters, which one do you think you'd be? Would you take any different actions then they have?
Most likely Noya.  *^ - ^*  Our personalities are quite similar.  An honestly, I'm not sure.  Maaaybe. . .?  I might try a little harder to make friends in the social settings she was put in.  I certainly share her fear of the dark---and sometimes, not just fear, but TERROR.  And not just the dark, but THINGS in the dark. . . *starts jumping at any little sound*  I don't believe I'd take different action from what she has, but I truly don't know, if I were put in her place, if I would be able to do what she does.  I know that's vague, but there's SPOILERS here.

8.  Give us the first sentence or paragraph, and then 2 (or 3!) more favorite snippets!

(prologue)
          He eyed the wizened creature before him. She was nothing more than an old hag of a woman begging for scraps from his coveted table. His sharp eyes missed nothing as he took in the rags she wore and the worn satchel she clutched like a life line. How was she permitted entrance past the Gate? The fools knew such a wretched woman was not worthy of his presence.
          And yet, here she stood.

> > > > > < < < < <

          The building was set beside the antique shop with a little alleyway in between, and rose much higher than its neighbor. It was made up of a reddish-grey brick that brought out the contrast of the black paint trimmed into the windows and door. A sign hung directly above the entrance, with a matching, smaller one set to hang into the street, catching the eyes of one coming from either direction and not in view of the storefront itself. Though old, the building and the signs were well kept, and the lettering easily discernible. Noya nearly laughed aloud at what it read:

Boon’s Blasted Bookshop

          She wondered at the owner’s humor—if it reflected on his personality or if that was truly what he thought of his shop. Either way, it was—
           “Amusing, yes?”
      “Exactly my thoughts,” Noya concluded. She narrowed her gaze at her brother in mock suspicion.“However did you know?”
          “Ah, dear sister. Your lovely face is an open book,” he replied without missing a beat, his step more of a swagger as he went for the door.
          She felt the slight blaze of heat redden her cheeks once again. Confounded blush is what gave her away. Every time.

> > > > > < < < < <

          When he met her eyes, she was startled by the twinkle in his eyes. “Oh, Noya! We’ve just had news from Meyrn—our ships have been found.” He pulled her into a joyous hug, to which she gently cautioned him to quiet down.
        “Brom, please. You know Papa doesn’t wish our former standing to be known here. But do explain, whatever do you mean of this?”
          He shushed her. “No time now, we must tell the others the good news. Come, to the stables.” Noya waved apologetically to Laomer, who still waited in the Town Square at the fountain, then followed her ecstatic brother to the livery stables. She helped him saddle their horses as he whispered the news to her.
          Her heart seemed to grow heavier and heavier with each new detail.
          For some reason, she could not emulate her brother’s enthusiasm. What would this mean to her family? Would they all return to Meyrn, when they had created such a lovely home here?
          Of one thing she was sure, Brom was leaving.

> > > > > < < < < <


        Noya’s days seemed a little less bright with the absence of Brom around. Still, they passed quickly, and before she knew it, they were facing their second Winter in the region of Lakeside Town.
        Since Brom’s departure with the caravan almost two months past now, no more livestock had been reported dead or missing. And with the warnings and caution instilled into the townspeople, no one had lost any loved ones.
          Still, it was with a rising fear that Noya eyed the bordering Wood. To her, it seemed that an evil was stirring, biding their time until—
          Whatever it be, she knew not. But how she disliked the feeling of living in fear.


9.  Share an interesting tidbit about the writing process so far. (For example: Have you made any hilarious typos? Derailed from your outline? Killed off a character? Changed projects entirely? Anything you want to share!)
Hmmm.  Nothing too interesting thus far.  I make typos all the time, but I can't recall any funny ones.  I've been keeping pretty consistent with my outline, if anything, expanding it a little more, or adding an extra chapter.  So far, none of the more main characters have been killed off, but a village boy about 16-17 was assumed dead---his weapons & hunting gear found in the Wood (along with a lot of blood. . .).  O _ O


10.  Take us on a tour of what a normal writing day for this novel looks like. Where do you write? What time of day? Alone, or with others? Is a lot of coffee (or some other drink) consumed? Do you light candles? Play music? Get distracted by social media (*cough cough*)? Tell all!
IF I manage to awaken early, I try to get my devos completed before my little man gets up.  Then we do breakfast, playtime, & cleanup before his morning nap.  If I don't have many responsibilities that particular day, then I'll write during that free hour or so.  After that, it's lunch, playtime & such then an afternoon nap, in which I'll write for the next two & a half hours.  Then dinner, and normal evening activities until Gabe's bedtime around 8:00p.m, and then we may have put on an episode or two of Teen Titans, after which I would write some more.  :D


WOW.
Y'all did not need the entire itinerary, didja??  xD

So yeah.  That's a normal writing day without much else going on.  I don't write nearly that much if I've got responsibilities that day or errands to run.  And usually, I write in silence, as I am easily distracted.  Of a morn, I'll drink my lovely black tea as I write.  That's my ideal writing time FOR SURE.  And I TOTALLY get distracted by social media---especially Pinterest, if I have to look up something for reference & the like. . .

> > > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

PINTEREST >>> Storyboard: Noya




> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

So.  How is your November progressing thus far?  Are you happy with your progress?  Have you taken part in this linkup yet?? If not, DO IT!!!

If we've yet to be buddies, find me HERE on the NaNoWriMo site.  :D

Happy writing!  And have a lovely week, my friends!
<3

Comments

  1. EEEEEEE YOU DID THE LINKUP!!! I loved getting an update on your progress!

    I'm sorry the beginning is going slower, but just like you said, the point is to WRITE and get it down. Things can be cut and moved around and action-upped later. For now our job is to find the story and get it all on the page. And oh my goodness, YOU'RE MAKING SUCH AMAZING PROGRESS.

    Your characters just sound so, so lovable. That is hilarious about Laomer (love his name by the way, but of course, he was named by the naming QUEEN). Isn't it always funny when a character turns out completely differently? OR a new character pops up out of nowhere? I just had that happen to me and I'm like "WHO ARE YOU? ...I love you." LOL. The unplanned characters always end up being my favorite. XD But I think having a NICE Gaston character is soooo fun. I mean, the TENSION that can cause. If us readers actually LIKE him that can make for so, so much fun conflict. Bwahaha. And, okay, I want to know more about Master Black! THIS JUST SOUNDS LIKE SUCH A GOOD CAST.

    *devours snippets* Love these so much! "Boon’s Blasted Bookshop" is so hilariously perfect and I would visit that shop in a heart beat! And oh my goodness, Noya and Brom are just so precious. I adore their relationship with my whole heart. <333

    I'm just so glad this NaNo is going well for you! I do hope the rest of the month treats your wonderfully! YOU'VE GOT THIS, GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE YOUR LINKUPS. And your questions are so perfect & thought-provoking, gurrrrl!

      It's okay, and THANKS! It does seem like a lot of work to go back to later, but the goal is simply to WRITE, RIGHT??? xDDD

      Awww, thank you! And yesss---so hilarious! I really do like Laomer... Not sure what'll happen yet ;D Hahaha! I can TOTALLY see that with your surprise characters. You are so right---the tension with Laomer can cause quite an issue... *evil musing face* YESSSS. Master Black! SO DO I hahahahaha

      So would I. We totally need this bookshop. Thanks, Christine! Sibling relationships can be the bestest <3

      Thank you thank you THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU TT_TT :DDD <333

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…