A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? || Nicknames!


Happy Monday, friends!

How fares your day thus far?
Can you believe November is basically here???
Are you doing NaNo?? cuz we have TWO DAYS before it begins! *hysterical screaming* I'm SO NOT READYYYYY. . .

> > > > > < < < < <

Meanwhile, whilst I pretend to prepare for the insanity that is NaNo, here's a fresh set of nicknames for you.
Enjoy!

> > > > > < < < < <

Tano
Gaetano
M | Italian
ga-eh-TA-no

Italian form of the Latin name Caietanus, meaning "from Caieta."  Caieta, now known as Gaeta, was a town in ancient Italy.  Most likely, it is derived from Caieta, the name of a Greek nurse who served the Trojan hero, Aeneas, son of Prince Anchises & the goddess Aphrodite.


Lia
Amelia
F | English, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Dutch, German, Ancient Germanic
É™-MEE-lee-É™(English) É™-MEEL-yÉ™(English) a-MEH-lya(Spanish, Italian, Polish) ah-MAY-lee-ah(Dutch) a-MEH-lee-a(German)

Variant of Amalia, though often confused with Emilia, which is of different origin.  Amalia is derived from a Germanic element meaning "work".  This name became popular in England after the German House of Hanover came to the British throne in the 18th century---it was borne by the daughters of George II & George III.  Another famous bearer was the American aviator, Amelia Earhart (1897-1937), the first woman to make a solo flight over the Atlantic Ocean.


Macs
Macario
| Spanish

Spanish form of the Latin name Macarius, derived from the Greek Makarios, which is itself derived from the Greek word makar---meaning "blessed, happy."



Phila
Philophrosyne
| Greek mythology
FEE-lah // fee-la-FROSS-i-nee (possibly)

Composed of the Greek elements philos "friend, lover" & phrenos "mind," which is related to the Greek verb phronein, meaning "to think, to judge, to estimate."  As such, one could say the meaning of Philophrosyne is "friendly minded."  In Greek mythology, this name was borne by the female spirit of kindness, friendship, and welcome.


Bogie
Bogardus
German (possibly)

Possibly a humanistic surname from Germany or the Netherlands---according to Google search, a Latinized form of Bogard, the Dutch shortened form of van der Bogaard, a topographic name for someone living near an orchard, or a habitational name for any of the various places named with this word.


Noli
Magnolia
English
NO-lee // mag-NO-lee-a

From the English word magnolia for the flower, named for the French botanist Pierre Magnol.









Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.



> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Talk to me!  I LOVE this set.  My favorite may well be Phila of these---the given name is so out there, but the potential nickname is kind pretty.  ^_^  Did you find any faves in these?  If so, what/which one(s) did you jot down??

Have a lovely week, dear beans.
<3

Comments

  1. THESE ARE SO UNIQUE. I adore this set! Lia for Amelia and Noli for Magnolia are my FAVE. So cute and clever! But they're ALL so different. What a great set! :D

    I cannot believe NaNo starts FRIDAY. WHAT IS THIS??? But I'm also so, so excited. It's gonna be a good one, I can feel it. Happy writing, m'dear! Cheering you on all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! *^ - ^* I thought both of those so unique. Most people use "Mia" for Amelia, so I thought why not change it up?

      I KNOW. HOOOOOOOWWWW??? So am I! Though also a bit anxious... heheh Your story sounds FANTABULOUSSSSS!!! Cheering you on as well, girl!!! <333

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…