A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Know the Novel // Part One: Introduction


GUYSSSSSS.
My friend Christine, formerly of Musings of an Elf blog & now at her own gorgeous website, is hosting another Know the Novel linkup!!  I believe I took part in the October one last year, but couldn't do the following two for reasons (aka Gabriel <3), but am SO EXCITED she's doing it again!!  I absolutely LOVE these things as they are phenomenal motivators to get one into the mood of writing & conquering goals.

If you are a writer, I heartily recommend joining in!  Even if you aren't planning on doing NaNo this year, these questions are wonderful for your current WIP(s).

I've decided to work on Noya's story again this year.  I have much written, but as per usual with my stories, I seemed to have hit a block & it wasn't budging.  This NaNo, I hope to change that.  :]

> > > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

THE INFO
Know the Novel is a 3-part writers linkup series, one for each of these last three months of the year.
Each part will feature ten questions you can answer on your own blog (or anywhere else on social media, if you’d like!). The questions will be focusing on different parts of your novel and how the writing is going.
> > > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

THE QUESTIONS
1.  What first sparked the idea for this novel?
Gosh.  I don't remember specifically how the idea for this story came to me.  To be honest, I've always ADORED the tale of Beauty & the Beast, and with any book or film, I usually find myself imagining how things might go if I were the one writing/rewriting it.  (Does anyone else do this??)  When I think about it though, my thoughts for this one really bloomed after seeing the live-action remake of Disney's 2017 Beauty & the Beast.  The costumes, the setting, the expounded backstories---I gobbled it ALL up.  Yes, there are some COMPLETELY unnecessary bits of junk thrown in that dumbed it down quite a bit, but---in my humble opinion---it's still a great movie (though I would add not quite as good as the 2015 Cinderella).

2.  Share a blurb!
She sacrificed everything for a beloved brother.
Only to gain an eternal prison.

He has lived an empty life for nearly 500 years.
Could one girl possibly change his cursed darkness?

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Once upon a time, Noya Enlow and her family lived comfortably in the booming port city of Meyrn.  But all that changed when her father's fleet of famed merchant ships find their fate in the depths of the sea after a monstrous storm.

And all their great wealth disappears overnight.

In an effort to save his family, Mr Enlow gathers Noya, her three brothers, and what belongings remain to their name, and moves to the country leagues away where they begin a humble existence among the peasantry as homesteaders.

But little do they know their paths will soon cross with that of a. . .
Beast.

For what greater act of love is there than the sacrifice of one to save another?
And in loving the unlovable, can one lowly girl break a 500-year enchantment?

Or is it not up to her?

3.  Where does the story take place?  What are some of your favorite aspects of the setting?
In a fantasy world I call Everon.  Specifically, the largest island continent of Neris---an enchanting place of deserts, jungles, plains, prairies, & mountains, closed off to the world by unscale-able cliffs & dangerous shores, save for the great port city of Meyrn---the only way in or out of the great island.

It's entirely a fantastical land.  The forests are enchanting, the creatures even more so, & it is also known as the original home of the Elven race.  Other areas of the world house the different kinds of Elves (i.e. the fair-haired Emiraldi Elves---similar to Irish people), but Neris was their original birth place, and from there, they spread to the rest of the world.  Because of this (& other reasons, heheh), Neris is a legendary & mysterious place, even to those that live there.

4.  Tell us about your protagonist(s).
Noya Enlow is the third of four children born to Amias* & Neysa* Enlow.  She has two older brothers, Lezak & Brom, and one younger, Jonavan, and is the type of girl who can be friends with anyone---kind, compassionate, known for her sweetness, although her shyness can cripple those relationships or extinguish opportunities for meeting others.  She has very few friends, if any, but the ones she does confide in are loyal to a fault.  Social engagements of any kind tend to rattle her as she worries too much of what people think or will think of her.  She is most comfortable with a book, or challenging the intellect of her brothers.  She loves to escape into the adventures of her favorite stories, or wile away her time making impressive embroideries of landscape & scenery.


*names subject to change

Marduk - Wulvern [source]
5.  Who (or what) is the antagonist?
This is a KEY INGREDIENT to any novel, and one of the things I struggle with the most. . . My antagonist has kinda just appeared.  His name has changed at least once, and honestly, I'm not really sure what he is, or what his background was.  Perhaps this just adds to the mysteriousness of his character?  Perhaps that's somehow how he'll remain throughout?  I don't know.  At least, not at this point.  I do know he is evil.  Pure EVIL.

I call him Marduk.  And the best way to describe him is as a mix between a werewolf & some kind of powerful sorcerer.  A legend of Neris has it that there was a band of mighty beings---no one knows whether they were human, or of some other race---who bonded their bodies & souls with that of a wolf-like creatures called Wulverns, massive monsters with the features of wolves.  They possessed the ability to speak, though some in the centuries that passed grew more & more into animalistic beasts & lost whatever made them human---or, whatever.  For ages, they are the nightmares of the great Wood, though in the more recent generations, talk of them has dwindled to where they were nearly forgotten.  (Perhaps because of the Beast. . .??)

Anywho, there's a teensy bit of lore. . . Marduk is the leader of these creatures, and the most powerful.  He has ruled the Wood far longer than the Beast, and maybe it's his ultimate goal to claim it as his once again. . .  He has designs for the hidden kingdom at the heart of the Wood, and perhaps he simply can't wait for the time of the Curse to run out. . .? Oooooooooooh.  #SPOILERS

6.  What excites you most about this novel?
It's got Elves!  And mythical/mystical creatures!  The setting is also in the VERY FIRST fantasy land I created myself.  Literally AGES ago.  With different characters.  (But that's a story for another day. . . ;D)  

In truth, just the STORY itself excites me.  Beauty & the Beast is a GORGEOUS tale of love & sacrifice.  Honestly, I believe that's why I love it & Disney's Tangled so much.  Of all the Disney princes, only Adam/Beast & Flynn/Eugene gave up their own lives for the girls they loved.  That is the ultimate sacrifice.  Beast allowed Belle to return to her father because he needed her.  Beast needed her too, but because he loved her, he let her go.  *sobs*  So beautiful!  That's the kind of story I want to portray.  Not something that copies another great tale---of course not!---but something that brings to surface emotions of unconditional love.  In essence, I WANT TO MAKE MY READERS CRY.  #sorrynotsorry

7.  Is this going to be a series? Standalone? Something else?
Definitely a standalone.  However, other stories I have "planned", which means they're floating around in the recesses of me brainyard just WAITING to be brought to life, will be set in the same story world, either around the same times & in different places, or in earlier/later timelines.

8.  Are you plotting? Pantsing? Plantsing?


Pantsing. . . Maaaaaybe plantsing. . .  Remember how I struggle with a key ingredient stated in question #5?  Yep.  This is another.  My plotting is HORRIBLE---no joke.  I do believe this is why I've yet to finish a draft of any of my stories. *SIGH* Another thing I hope to change this NaNo.  :]

9.  Name a few things that makes this story unique.
As mentioned in question #6, this is an Elvish retelling of the classic faerietale.  That in itself is different from any other retellings I've found.  Also, instead of Noya's father stumbling on the hidden castle & angering the Beast by taking one of his most treasured roses, it is her older brother Brom.

>> Snippet, anyone? <<

          Noya sighed. “Must you go? Cannot the men there take care of everything?”
          Brom's smile was small, but she could read his excitement in his rather handsome features. Perhaps his path lay in the city, and this was the step he must take to find it. She knew her brothers wouldn't stay at home with her forever.
          “Yes, Nosie. Father is not up to such a journey. This gives me a chance to figure out what I want to become. And the men there need guidance and the wages they are owed, you know that. They too lost much in the years they've been missing. Who knows just what they've endured?”
          She nodded, because she did understand. It was a great joy and blessing to learn that one of their long-lost ships had returned to harbor. And with many of the men who captained them.
          Of her three brothers, she was closest to Brom – probably due to the fact they were nearest in age by two years instead of four or five. Together, they had been the unexpected duo of mischief.
          “Hey,” he said, nudging her. “Courage, sister. I'll be back,” he added with a grin. “You won't even have time to miss me. Now, I've promised to find some things for both Lezak, Shanna, and Jonavan. And I want to surprise Father with a new carpentry tool, so. . . what can I bring to you, my fair sister dear?”
          “Oh no, I thank you, but I need for nothing at all.”
          “Oh come now. New material for a gown? Some lace? Ah, I know! A book or three in which to travel the world and conquer all?”
          She laughed lightly. “You know me far too well. But of what use do I have for a new dress? And there's no need for lace, far too dainty for this clumsy farmgirl. I manage to keep the house lovely, I daresay, and while I adore books, that money can be put to better use.”
          “Bah. You sound more and more like an old mother every day–”
          “What? I'll have you kn–”
          “–and you never think of yourself. Be selfish for me this one time, alright?” He didn't allow her to respond, instead he wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “Now, what gift might I bring you, little sister, if only to give myself the pleasure of blessing you for a change.”
          She couldn't bring herself to be angry with him. He was just as stubborn, if not more. “A pouch of seeds.”
          “Flower seeds?”
          She smiled. “Yes. Roses, to be more specific. Those should suffice, young man,” she added with a wink.

10.  Share a fun "extra" of the story (a song or full playlist, some aesthetics, a collage, a Pinterest board, a map you've made, a special theme you're going to incorporate, ANYTHING you want to share!).
I love Pinterest.  So obviously, I've got a board for Noya's tale.  *wink wink*  I've also drawn up a map of my world, but I've no way of posting it here at the moment.  A photo would be insufficient.  Perhaps a collage/aesthetic would suffice instead?  :]

PINTEREST >>> Storyboard: Noya




> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

So.  Are YOU taking part in NaNo this November? If so, marvelous!!!  I'd love to be buddies, so find me HERE on the NaNoWriMo site.  :D

Happy writing!  And have a lovely week to the rest of you sane people!!!
xDDD


Photos via Pinterest.
Collage made with Canva.

Comments

  1. *SHRIEKS FOREVER* YOU DID THE LINKUP. AND AAAAHHHHH. SARAAAAH. THIS BOOK!!!!! Literally the more and more I read about it, the more and more I fall in love. It's just...EVERYTHING. Absolutely everything! <3

    The whole world sounds SO fantabulous. I mean, ELVES (YESSS), legends, mysteries, other strange creatures. All of my favorite things in a fantasy world! I also love all the names of things. Everon, Neris, Meyrn. All so pretty! And can we talk about the antagonist??? I know you said you don't know much about him but GIRL. A race who bonded with wolf-like creatures and have slowly become more and more animal-like. That. Is. EPIC!!!

    I also already love sweet Noya. She seems so gentle and kind. <333 That snippet with her and Brom was PRECIOUS! It's also the BEST that she has three brothers in this, since in one version of the fairy tale Beauty DOES have three brothers. But I NEVER see retellings that acknowledge that. Go you!

    Just just just...I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS!!!! I'm also drooling over here over your collage and pinterest board. SO MUCH PRETTY.

    This is 100000000% my kind of story. I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS!!!!!

    Oh, oh! Also, I DO imagine how I would do a story if I were the one writing it! :O So I'm not the only one??? That is so hilarious and awesome! Maybe it's a writer thing. XDD

    Anyways, this comment is all over the place and completely incoherent, but the more excited I get, the less coherent I become, and this story makes me SO EXCITED! I do hope the writing goes well! Let's rock this NaNo! *fistpump*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GURRRRL, your comments are the absolute BEST. Reading this just Made. My. DAY!! You are so very kind & encouraging!!! I'm pleased to hear how interested & excited you are. So am I! I want want WANT to write this story, I just get caught up in the what ifs & all those horrible doubts. Thanks SOOOOOOOO much, dear Christine!!!!!!!

      I kinda like all the names as well. ;D Most of them are extremely random... But they fit so well! And YESSS. Marduk is extremely creepy... He wasn't even supposed to be in the story at the beginning, but everything felt so flat, he kinda just... APPEARED. *shivers* I honestly have NO IDEA what he's gonna do hahahahahaha

      Awww, thanks! What's a writer WITHOUT a Pinterest board for her stories??

      OH GOOD. It's definitely a writer thing! Isn't that crazy? I was watching a Barbie movie, The Island Princess (I have almost ALL the Barbie movies...), and I was totally imagining what would happen if I rewrote the script. xD

      Again, I LOVE your comments! To be honest, the longer ones are my favorite because it lets you know the reader has actually read your posts. Hahaha, ya know? Though I don't judge anyone for short comments, pleasedon'tgetmewrong. I do that all the time.

      Thank you, Christine! Happy writing!!! *hugs*

      Delete
  2. This story looks AWESOME! I love Beauty and the Beast too, and I have a definite soft spot for retellings of it (I love retellings in general, but the Beauty and the Beast ones I've read tend to be my favourites). Elves are also awesome and I love that you're giving them your own feel.

    And I love your names! I always struggle with names, and my NaNo WIP is historical fiction so I've got boring names like Henry and Amy, but Noya and Neris and Meryn and Emiraldi are such beautiful, mystical sounding names. To be honest, the whole aesthetic of the story is exactly what I've been craving lately (so if you ever need beta readers.... ;) )

    Good luck with NaNo :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thank you so much! *^ - ^* I love all the retellings as well, and same! the B&tB ones are usually my top faves. <3

      And thanks! I have this thing for name & tend to collect them. "Noya" is Hebrew for "beauty", so I totally snagged that one for my MC. xD The others just kinda popped into me head. Though in the instance of Emiraldi, I found basis from Ireland's nickname, the Emerald Isle. *wink wink*

      Thanks, girlie!!! Same to you! Happy writing!!!!! xDDD

      Delete
    2. Also, I'm nowhere near the phase of needing beta readers, but you flatter me with the comment! I'm SERIOUSLY hoping by the end of November, I'll have something that looks like a finished draft (though I'm absolutely terrified it's not gonna happen...). That's the ultimate goal! Thank you soooo much for the offer! I will certainly keep you in mind. ONCE it's finished, I'll need ALLLLL the help/feedback/criticism I can get. ;D heh

      Delete
  3. By the way, I sent you a buddy request! I'm SeekJustice on there. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOYA! I always love hearing updates about this story. ^_^ And these names—GIRL, THEY'RE BEAUTIFUL!

    Your villain sounds sooo creepy (in the best way).

    That snippet of Noya and Brom is soooo sweet. The storyboard is soooo pretty! I can totally envision the story and setting!

    Happy NaNo-ing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'all are sooooo sweet! I'm so glad you like the names. I debated off & on changing a couple, but they've kinda grown on me now. ;D

      OH GOOD. That's exactly what I want him to be---creepy in a terrifying way. xD I STRUGGLE SO MUCH WITH VILLAINSSSS

      I love love love amazing sibling relationships. It seems most of my stories have those, and I LOVE them. The world needs to see that siblings are homegrown best friends---not enemies, am I right?

      Thanks, girl! Happy writing!!! <333

      Delete
  5. Ooooh I love all the unique touches you've put on the story, they're wonderful! <3 AND YOUR PINTEREST BOARD. It's simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa! Pinterest is an abyss---but also, AMAZINGGG for inspiration xDDD

      Delete
  6. "Or is it not up to her?" OOOOOHHHH. <3

    Your setting and Pinterest board and ideas are all so delicious! I love B&B. Best of luck with NaNo, Sarah!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …