A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? || Place Names


Hulloooo, y'all!!!
Happy Monday to you, friends! How was your weekend?  Are you prepping for NaNoWriMo, which begins in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS???

This will be my third year participating & I'm excited!!! But also a weensy-teensy bit nervous cuz even though I said I'd prepare, I've NOT DONE A THING.  *facepalm*  But today is the start of a new week!  So LET'S DO THISSSSS.

If you wanna buddies, find my profile HERE.  With the update to the new site, I've lost all you dear human beans, so please send me an invite! I'd LOVE to stay connected!  I need all the help I can get, y'all.  ;D

> > > > > < < < < <

In the meantime,
here's some fresh & lovely place names for you, m'dears.  :]

Enjoy!

> > > > > < < < < <

Ontario
| English

From the Canadian province or lake, ultimately derived from OntarĂ­:io, meaning "great lake."


Samaria
F | Biblical Latin (Latinized)
sa-MAR-ee-a, sa-MARE-ee-a

This was the name of the capital city of the northern kingdom of Israel, as well as a province of Israel, east of the Jordan River, sandwiched between Galilea & Judea.  The name is a Latin transliteration of the Greek Samareia, which is the Hellenized version of the Hebrew name Shomron, meaning "to keep, guard, observe, or give heed."


Kedesh
M & F English (rare), Biblical

From the name of three Israelite towns---references: Joshua 15:23; Joshua 12:22, 19:37; Judges 4:6; 1 Chronicles 6:72.  Possibly means "sanctuary."


Joplin
M & F English (rare, American, modern)

Transferred use of the surname Joplin, meaning unknown.  This is the name of a city in southwest Missouri on historic Route 66.
NOTE:  I could see this used as a dystopian name for a girl.  ;D


Gondolin
English, Literature

Meaning "the Hidden Rock."  From the name of the fictional kingdom of the Elven lord, Turgon, in J.R.R. Tolkien's legendarium.  This was a secret city, surrounded by the Encircling Mountains (Echoriath)---hidden, it endured for centuries before being betrayed & destroyed.  It was the mightiest of the Elven Houses, and was famed for its walls.


Louisiana
English 

From the name of a Deep South state in the United States of America, named after the French king Louis XIV, who reigned over France from 1643-1715.







Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

What of these, me lovelies??  I believe each of these have SUCH potential.  Got any faves?

Have a lovely week, y'all!
<333

Comments

  1. I've basically done no NaNo prepping either. o.o But it's not here yet! WE'VE GOT THIS! *fistpump*

    These are such fun names! Samaria is my faaave. Such a pretty one! Kedesh is so cool too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! We've got--- *scrambles to check calendar* ---NINE days left!! LET'S DO THIS THING!!! *ba la la la*

      Thank you! I like this set a lot. And I think so too! Samaria is just so lovely. Thanks, girl! Happy writing!!!

      Delete
  2. I'm loving these names! It's so nice to be back in the blogging world- I've been revisiting friends' blogs and was delighted to see how active yours still is, Sarah :) I believe NaNoWriMo is intimidating to even the most experienced of writers, but I hope it goes very well for you!

    -T
    x
    tangerinetane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TANE!!!! <333 Welcome back, girl! It's so nice to see you here again. I've loved keeping up with you on Instagram, your photos & art is always SO GORGEOUS. And yes, it is---thanks so much!

      Delete
  3. I love this list! State names make for great character name options, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jameson! And YESSSS, they totally do. I was thinking of adding Nebraska to the list next month. :D

      Delete
  4. I think I like Gondolin best! And I love all these photos you find, the people are so beautiful and unique <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …