A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

NaNoWriMo >> Pre-November Prep

Happy LAST DAY OF OCTOBER, PEEPS!!!
Good GRAVY, where did the days go?

Tomorrow begins the insanity of NaNoWriMo---National Novel Writing Month, where writers from all over the world attempt to write an entire novel of 50,000 words in a mere 30 days.

O__O

Yup.  And I'm joining in! Are you??
No pressure.  Seriously.  I have a vague sense I could POSSIBLY accomplish that lofty goal of 50k---whether or not it happens. . . well, we shall see.

As I mentioned last week, I'm working once again on my Beauty & the Beast retelling, Noya If you're interested to read a teensy bit more about it, check out my post for the Know the Novel linkup hosted by my dear blogger-friend, Christine SmithHERE.

All that said, what am I doing on the last day of October?

. . .

Yup.  You guessed it:
LAST MINUTE NANO PREP
*cue maniacal screaming*

Anyone else in the same boat??  It's okay!  Truly.  :]
BECAUSE


If you recall my post to the Know the Novel linkup, I'm a plantser---meaning I sorta/kinda plot by the seat-of-my-pants.  Heh.  BUT.  I DO have a plan!

Pre-NaNo: Plot Outline
Day 1: Begin at Prologue/Chapter 1+
Write, write, WRITE

After reviewing the chapters & scenes & excerpts I already have written for this WIP, my goal for the first of November (a.k.a. Day 1 of NaNo) is to start from the top!  To be more specific---the Prologue.  (Which is actually something I've considered whether or not to keep. . .  In my personal opinion, I like Prologues, so most likely it will remain.  They immediately immerse you---however vaguely---into the story, and make you turn the page(s) to Chapter 1.  Right?  At least, that's what happens with me.  What do YOU think about Prologues?)

But first things first, if I'm gonna do this plantsing thing RIGHT, I've gotta have my detailed plot Outline, which looks something like this:


This has been in existence since last NaNo, I believe, but I've tweaked many things this week (i.e. the past TWO days. . . #totalprocrastinator) and will print out to use as a reference & hopefully keep me on track.

One thing I added to each chapter is whose Point of View (POV) those scenes feature.  I really like that!  I love seeing the same story through different sets of eyes, and in this tale, we step into the shoes and---er, hooves, of Noya, her brother Brom, and the Beast.  Do you have multiple POVs in your story?

> > > > > < < < < <

Well, I must conclude all this rambling. . . I'll leave you with these loverly character themes featuring Noya & my Beast, and depending on how NaNo goes these next few days, I hope to share some character spotlights next week!



Happy writing, y'all.  :]



Photos via Pinterest.
Collages made using Canva.com.

Comments

  1. IT'S ALMOST TIIIIIIME!!!! *SHRIEKS* And huzzah to you for doing some more prepping! I meant to do that today but...I've had so many OTHER things to catch up on like getting last minute blog posts written and emails replied to, my plans for organizing a few messy notes I have on the story fell to the wayside...when it probably should have been priority. Ah well, I did say I was pantsing, so I guess I'm going ALL in with this pantsing thing. *nervous laughter*

    I personally am perfectly fine with prologues. I don't really understand the controversial around them. As long as they're entertaining, what does it matter whether the header starts as "prologue" or "chapter 1"? Really people. XD

    Oh my goodness, your outline format looks SO much like how mine do! That is so fun! TWINS! :D

    The character collages are just so gorgeous. The whole aesthetic of this book is absolutely stunning! AAAAHHHH! I'M JUST SO EXCITED ABOUT IT.

    HAPPY WRITING!!!!!!!! YOU'VE GOT THIS, GIRL! *THROWS ALL THE CONFETTI*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! Haha, best of luck to you in pantsing! YOU TOTALLY GOT THIS. xDDD

      I'm soooo glad you feel that way. I have absolutely no qualm against prologues either. They just need to be intriguing & gripping from the start. SO AGREE, GURLLLL

      Really??? I was trying to keep it simple. It's silly, but that makes me feel so good knowing I do things similarly to the Incredible Christine! *^ - ^* ;D #twinkies

      Thank you! It took me forever to pick out the right photos. I maaaay have been on Pinterest a bit too long than need be... haha THANK YOU, DEARIE!!! *HUGS* <333

      Delete
  2. This is such a cool way to outline! Especially the POV notes.

    I love writing in multiple POVs, but this year's NaNo project is shaping up to only be in one. I'm pretty sure I've never written a full-length novel in a single POV before, so that's going to be a little bit challenging if it does work out that way!

    Happy NaNoing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! I need as many notes as possible xD

      Yes, so do I! I enjoy reading multiple POVs also (as long as they're well-written). How neat you have just one POV this year. That gives a bit of its own kind of intrigue if ya think about it. The reader is in the head of the MC, but what is everyone else thinking?? (<-- that kinda thing). Happy writing, dearie!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …