A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? || Surname Edition!

Good, rainy, Monday to you, dear bean!  How do you do?

I was thinking last week I should share another post featuring surnames. . .  (Cuz most likely your characters have a first & last name at least, am I right??)  Soooo, when I searched my blog to see when last I shared a surname post, I was shocked to see it said WAAAAAY back in 2014(?!?)!!  WHOA.  So, here's a long overdue set of surnames for you!  These are rather specific, however, because they're all RUSSIAN.  Yeah, I was searching for one for my characters Darrow & Warrick & decided to share a whole list of them today.  :]

Enjoy, y'all!

> > > > > < < < < <


Andreev
Russian

Means "son of Andrey".  Andrey is the Russian & Bulgarian form of Andrew, meaning "manly, masculine."


Kuznetsov
Russian

Patronymic form of the Russian word kuznets, meaning "blacksmith."


Sokolovsky
Russian, Czech, Jewish

Means "son of Sokol."  Sokol comes from the Czech word sokol meaning "falcon," a nickname or occupational name for a falconer.

NOTE:  This is the surname I chose for the brothers Darrow & Warrick in my Camp NaNo WIP, Via.


Volkov
Russian

Patronym derived from Russian volk, meaning "wolf."


Orlov
Russian

Patronym taken from the Russian nickname Oryol, meaning "eagle."


Romanoff
Russian

A variant of Romanov, meaning "son of Roman." This was the surname of the last dynasty of Russian tsars.









Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

I think the Russian language is beautiful! The names are so unique, the culture & history intriguing, and the people alluring (in a story kinda way). :]

Have a lovely week, y'all!

Comments

  1. Love this one! I'm always searching for surnames. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Great! I know, me too. I've gotten to where I'll jot one down if I hear it & randomly think it'd be cool in a story. xD

      Delete
  2. THIS IS EPIC. I would looove more surname posts! I am the WORST with surnames, and half the time forget to even give them to my characters. o.o So this is great! And AWK. All the Russian names are so beautiful, yes! I love the one you chose for Darrow & Warrick. That totally works for them. I also really like Volkov!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! I will certainly be adding a surname post each month. Can't believe I hadn't thought of it before *FACEPALM* Awww, thanks, girl! I loved that it's taken from a name meaning "falcon." Thought that was really neat, and something I can possibly tie into the story.

      Volkov is awesome!!! I seriously considered that for the brothers as well...

      Delete
  3. Oh I love this! I agree with Christine. More surname posts would be great. Last names are often really hard for me to come up with. Maybe a list of German ones? I would really love that.

    Anywho, I love this list! I might have to go write a Russian character now just so I can use some of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm definitely adding a surname post each month. I agree. And ooh! German would have a great set! Do you have a familial connection with that culture, perchance? (Just curious) ^_^

      Hahaha! Yes, DO IT!!! Would make for a great writing prompt at the very least. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…