A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? || Nicknames!

Good afternoon, y'all.  :]
Lovely weekend?  Well, I've a great set of nicknames for you today!  Let me know what you think!

Enjoy!

> > > > > < < < < <

Jake
Jacob
M | English

Medieval variant of Jack, (derived from Jackin/Jankin---a diminutive of John) which was used as a slang word during the Middle Ages, to mean "man".  It is also used as a short form of Jacob, meaning "holder of the heel" or "supplanter."


Evie
Evelyn
F | English, German

A diminutive of Eve or Evelyn, which is from an English surname, which in turn is derived from the given name Aveline, ultimately meaning "desired."


Wick
Warrick
English

From a surname derived from a variant of Warwick, ultimately composed of Old English elements meaning wer "weir, dam" and wíc "settlement."

NOTE:  This is a name I'm currently using as a main-secondary character in my WIP Via (link & link) that I'm focusing on for April's Camp NaNo. :]  Warrick is the younger brother of Darrow, and what I know of him up to this point is that he's a cheery, happy-go-lucky kind of guy, an AMAZING fighter pilot, and quite loyal to a fault.  He can fly just about any sort of aircraft he can get his hands on.  And is certainly the sort of person who's an invaluable asset to any team.

Brie
Gabriella
English, Italian, Swedish, Hungarian

A variant of Bree ("power, high"), or a short form of names like Brianna.  Could also be a short form taken from the given name Gabriella, meaning "God is my strength."


Cam
Cameron
English

From a Scottish surname meaning "crooked nose".


Mira
Miranda
English, Dutch

Derived from Latin mirandus meaning "admirable, wonderful."  Mira, as a given name, means "sea, ocean" in Sanskrit; or "peace/world" in the Slavic language.




Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

So.  Would you be likely to use any of these beauties in one or more of your stories?  If so, which one(s)?? 

Comments

  1. Love all of these as usual! Evie is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ivie! I love that one too, it's simplicity is just lovely. ^_^

      Delete
  2. OH YAY! I love the nickname ones! And ooooh my goodness, this is a great set. I've always loved the name Evie, and making it a nickname of Evelyn (which is also a great name) makes it even cooler! I also ADORE Warrick/Wick's name, AND HIM. He seems to fun! Super excited about your storyyyy!!!!

    The others are fantastic too! Brie for Gabriella is GORGEOUS, and Mira for Miranda is super unique and also gorgeous! GAH. SUCH GOOD ONES. <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! Evie is such a cute name/nickname. And thank you! It is my humble opinion that every book need a character like Warrick---at least somewhere in there. He's the one who's always directing the others toward that unseen hope, ya know? *^ - ^*

      I think so too! Gabriella is such a beautiful name, but being kinda long it's nice to have a lovely nickname---and I don't much care for the typical Gabby... ;D

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…