A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name?

Hullo, dear beans.  :]
How was your weekend?  Mine was rather lovely (depsite the rain, and promise of more. . .).

THE MOST EXCITING NEWS FROM THIS PAST WEEK:
My baby brother is ENGAGED!!!  AHHHHHHHH And to one of the sweetest ladies I've ever known.  I thought many times that I'd like to be her when I grow up. *^ - ^* Amanda is already a sister to me, & soon it'll be official!! 
(You can check out my Instagram to see a photo of their sweet faces, if you'd like.  @sarahpenmaiden or link in sidebar!)

Anywho, 'nuff squealing, right?  I've got some new names for you! And oddly enough, they're all "R's".  :D

Enjoy!

> > > > > < < < < <

Rían
M | English, Irish
REE-an, or RIE-an

From the Irish name Ryan, derived from the surname Ó Riain meaning "descendant of Rían."  Possibly means "little king," from the Irish elements ri "king" and combined with a diminutive suffix.


Rohana
F | Sanskrit

Means "sandalwood" or "ascending" in Sanskrit.


Rook
English

From the Eurasian bird of the same name.  (Could also refer to the chess piece resembling a castle tower.  Or the Dutch word rook, meaning "smoke.")

NOTE:  This would make a pretty cool dystopian character's name, I think. . .

Reese
M & F Welsh

Anglicized form of the male name Rhys, meaning "enthusiasm" in Welsh.








Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < < 

Favorite(s)?? Any to recommend?  
What is an "R" name you like that could be added to this list?  I like Renna & Rohan.  :]

Comments

  1. More Irish! (^ᗨ^)/ & I love Rook! Makes me think of a character of yours, Chess...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesssss! I couldn't resist. *^ - ^* Same. I miss her!

      Delete
  2. Congrats to your little brother!!!! That is super exciting!!

    Ohh gosh, I had a whole list of R names and of course I wouldn't remember them now....LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! It certainly is. :D

      Haha! I know how you feel. So odd how things escape you when you need them right now, ya know?? ;D

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …