A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? >> 3rd Monday Edition


Happy Monday, lovelies!
How was your weekend?  Does it feel like Summertime to you yet? We've had some splendidly summery weather the past couple weeks here in East Tennessee.  I just LOOOOVE this season!
(Which, technically, it's still considered Spring right now, I suppose... at least until the 21st of this month. ;P) 

Here's some fresh new names for you!
Enjoy.


> > > > > < < < < <

NICKNAMES

Ned
Edmund
| English, German, Polish
EHD-mÉ™nd(English), EHT-muwnt(German),EHD-moont(Polish)

Means "rich protection," from the Old English elements ead "wealth, fortune" and mund "protection."  Two Anglo-Saxon kings of England bore this name, as well as two saints, and a 9th-century king of East Anglia, who according to legend was killed after refusing to divide his Christian kingdom with an invading pagan Danish ruler.


Chrissie
Christiana
English
kris-tee-AN-É™, kris-TYAN-É™

Latin feminine form of Christian, which comes from the medieval Latin name Christianus, meaning "a Christian" (see Christos).  


Niko
Nikolas
| Greek, English

Variant of Nikolaos (Greek), or Nicholas (English)---both meaning "victory of the people."


Yoli
Yolanda
| English, Spanish
yo-LAN-da(Spanish), yo-LAHN-dÉ™(English)

From the medieval French name Yolande, which could possibly be a form of the name Violante, itself a derivative of Latin viola "violet."  Alternatively, it could be of Germanic origin.  This was borne by a 12th-century empress of the Latin Empire in Constantinople, a 13th-century countess from Luxembourg, and a 15th-century duchess of Lorraine---subject of the 1892 opera Iolanta, by Tchaikovsky.



> > > > > < < < < <


SURNAMES


Bonner
English

From Middle English boneire "kind, courteous," which is derived from Norman French bon aire "good bloodline."
Finkelstein
Yiddish

Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) ornamental compound name, literally meaning "sparkle stone." Other forms include, Garfinkel or Garfunkel.

Wyrick
Polish

Americanized form of Wyrzyk, a variant of Wyrzykowski, which is possibly derived from a Polish place name of uncertain meaning, probably "away from the river."
Honeycutt
English

Derived from the name of the English town Hunnacott, which comes from the Old English hunig "honey", or the given name Huna, combined with cot "cottage."


Photos via Pinterest.
Names & meanings via behindthename.com

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

TALK TO ME!
Which of these do you like best?

I particularly like Ned for Edmund---normally, one would use Ed, of course, but Ned makes it different!  And the name Yolanda is beautiful! Yoli is a cute nickname for that one.
What do YOU think??

That's all for today, dear beans!
TTFN.  <3

Comments

  1. Yaaay! I always LOVE the nickname ones! Actually, I love ALL of them. So many great name ideas!

    Yolanda is definitely my favorite of this list. And Yoli as a nickname for it is ADORABLE. I also like Niko for Nikolas instead of just Nik. That's a really cool one.

    And the surnames are super fun. Wyrick and Honeycutt especially are fabulous! They sound like whimsical, lighthearted fantasy surnames. I love it! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss! So do I!! *^ _ ^*

      I totally agree on both of those! I kinda like the name Nikolas with a 'k', it's definitely more uncommon.

      Yes, they certainly have a whimsical feel to them! :D

      Delete
  2. I think Yoli and Niko are super cute. Also Edmund always reminds me of Narnia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! They sound like an adorable couple also ;D *le GASP* I always think of him when I hear that name as well! Such a beautiful story of redemption. <3

      Delete
  3. Hello! I recently discovered your blog and pretty much binge-read your name posts. ;-D I'm a name collector too! I love finding new names and putting first, middle, and often last names together. I added quite a few of your names/nicknames to my lists. ;-)
    I LOVE Yoli for Yolanda! And Ned for Edmund is cute too, although I don't really like the name Edmund.
    You almost always ask for requests, and while I don't have any REQUESTS I do have some ideas/suggestions. :-D
    1. Australian, British (or reminding of British, like Victoria or George), and Jewish names.
    2. Cowboy/cowgirl and Western names.
    3. Flower/plant names, names that have flower/plant meanings.
    4. Bird/bird-related-or-meaning names (I saw you did Wren once--cute name! One name I know that has means bird is Zipporah.)
    5. I don't know exactly what to call this one. . . So bear with me as I give examples. :-D In my cast of characters, there are a set of siblings named Peter, James, John, Joanna, Mary, and Martha. Then there's triplets named Davis Montgomery, Dallas Winchester, and Paris Genevieve (first names all place names, middle all three syllables (I don't pronounce the e in Montgomery)). And there's half-brothers named Richard and Morgan; Morgan was a half-brother of Richard the Lion-hearted. So they're all related, I guess you'd say. You could do something like that.
    I really enjoy your nicknames and place names posts! I've got a partial list of place names; some of them are a little out there, but some are surprisingly normal (Allen, Adelaide, Bruce, Jordan, etc.).
    Anyways, keep up the good work!
    Julie | wordslikeawaterfall.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hullo, Julie! I'm SOOOO pleased you stumbled upon & binge-read those posts! xD It's so fun finding fellow name collectors & sharing new (& old) names. Personally, the Nickname posts are probably my favorite of all of those yes! I love Yoli & Ned! And funny you should mention it, but I was never that fond of the name Edmund either---however it's kinda grown on me & I've got a concept character by that name now. *^ - ^* But I spell it as the French form, EDMOND. :]

      Love, love, LOOOOOVE your suggestions!!! Thanks so much! I've just recently returned from a blog hiatus & plan to get back to the Name posts next week, so I'll certainly be using some of these suggestions.

      Also, I know what you mean about what to call #5. I believe in the past I've referred to related names & combos as having some kind of pattern. But still, not sure if there's an actual term for it. ;D I do family/sibling/relational names like that all the time too!!! Love the patterns you use & the names you chose. So good!

      Thanks so much, dearie! <333

      Delete
  4. You're welcome! Glad you understood what I was referring to in #5. XD Another idea that just hit me: more holiday-themed names. I know you've done Christmas, but what about Thanksgiving, Independence Day, etc.?
    Julie | https://wordslikeawaterfall.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! xD And yessssss---such a great idea! Especially with Thanksgiving literally around the corner now. I'll definitely be jotting some names down for that. And Independence Day names are a fantastic thought! Okay, I'll definitely be coming to you when I get stuck on what to post. ;D

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…