A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Book Review // Ever the Hunted


EVER THE HUNTED
(Clash of Kingdoms #1)
Erin Summerill

HMH Books for Young Readers | December 27, 2016
Fiction, YA Fiction

{GoodReads}
Seventeen year-old Britta Flannery is at ease only in the woods with her dagger and bow. She spends her days tracking criminals alongside her father, the legendary bounty hunter for the King of Malam—that is, until her father is murdered. Now outcast and alone and having no rights to her father’s land or inheritance, she seeks refuge where she feels most safe: the Ever Woods. When Britta is caught poaching by the royal guard, instead of facing the noose she is offered a deal: her freedom in exchange for her father’s killer.

However, it’s not so simple.

The alleged killer is none other than Cohen McKay, her father’s former apprentice. The only friend she’s ever known. The boy she once loved who broke her heart. She must go on a dangerous quest in a world of warring kingdoms, mad kings, and dark magic to find the real killer. But Britta wields more power than she knows. And soon she will learn what has always made her different will make her a daunting and dangerous force.


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <
WARNING: Possible Spoilers!


THE BASICS
This book has been sitting on my TBR shelf for AGES, and I finally made the time (which actually means was 'in the mood') to read it!  I'll begin by saying I LOVE the Fantasy genre.  Why?  Because there is always so much an author can do in the fantasy world, and I truly don't think I'll EVER get tired of it (pun intended).

That said, this story world seemed well thought out & complex, but not too much so that the reader would get overwhelmed.  I liked the characters well enough and believe that were I in their shoes, I might have made the same choices.  As to the romance, it just seemed to be another one of those silent-secret-crushes-that-neither-party-talks-about-and-suffers-alone-silently until the oh-i-love-you-and-no-way-i-love-you-too-and-always-have finally is communicated.  In my opinion, that's probably how the relationship between Cohen & Britta could be simply summed up.  Nothing wrong with it---please don't get me wrong---I just wish for once a romance could be well communicated, ya know??

I should probably change this section to "My Thoughts"... xD

VIOLENCE
A girl kills an elk with bow & arrow; and with much sympathy & emotion, slits its throat to end its suffering, then proceeds to gut & salvage the meat.  In the town pillory, a woman's neck & wrists are encased in wooden planks as a punishment for being accused as a Channeller (more on that below).

A dungeon is filthy with human refuse & dying prisoners.  As punishment for disobeying the captain, a character is condemned to 10 lashes by whip, but they only give 5.

At one point, we come upon two corpses hanging at the border between two countries as a warning to travelers.  One body is far more decayed than the other; flesh & bones, evidence of arrow wounds, feet have been broken in torture.

A dog is dying from a poisonous snake bite & obviously suffering as its mistress's feet, whimpering & breathing heavily.  Out of pity, [SPOILER] a girl uses her ability to draw out the poison, but passes out after, having spent too much energy in doing so.

Memories from the past bring up images of a young man laying in a pool of blood at death's door, torn skin & exposed bone, and teeth showing through a gash in cheek.  [SPOILER] A man is killed by arrow between the shoulders, but not before he slits the throat of an older woman---lots of blood.

A man is injured at his side in a brief sword fight in the castle.  In order to save a man's life, a character must bring him to death to sever a Spiriter's bind that's been controlling him.  She uses a knife to cut his throat---rather slowly---lots of blood, and she can feel his energy fade & release; then uses her own energy to bring him back, before she herself blacks out.

SPIRITUAL CONTENT
Channellers are women born with special abilities of an elemental variety.  Spiriters are Channellers of a different kind, that can manipulate energy instead of the elements.  In one country, they are hunted down & executed for their "black magic."

At one point, we enter a church to look through records for information.  A clergyman has his book of Scripture open.

A place called an Elementiary is apparently like a little school to help those with Channeller power.  It also sells odds & ends, such as bottles with colored liquid & dead things on shelves (bird claws in pink liquid).  An old woman explains the four elemental energies and the fifth energy: which is ether/spirit, being like energy & intelligence.

In an ancient forest, its said of the massive tree that the gods planted them.  There's seemingly palpable magic there & one needs a counter-charm in order to enter a particular place.

LANGUAGE // ALCOHOL & DRUGS
Some uses of "jacka--," "bullwart," "d---ing," "piss," "horse dung," "you snit," "hell," "bloody bludger," & "scant."  Other slang like "by the gods," "oh gods," and "bloody curse me to the devil" are used a time or two as well.

Characters enter a tavern to talk to the drunkards there for information.

ROMANTIC CONTENT
Town-women murmur "filfth" under their breaths---directed at Britta---and saying she's no better than dirt & just like her mother, believing Britta to be illegitimate, even though her parents were married.  Her mother was from a different country & culture.

"Whore" is mentioned at least once.

Memories of a kiss.  At least a couple near-kisses to begin with.  At one point, they rent a room together at an inn for a couple nights; Britta's posing as a boy, so they only have one room to share.  A brief argument as to who sleeps where & they end up sharing the bed.  Nothing happens!  But it's obvious she attracted to him (and he to her ;] ).  

A hateful man gives lewd remarks & threats to a girl; runs a hand down her thigh implying "fun".

In one scene, a couple shares some passionate kissing, hands running through hair, over skin, etc. etc.  Later, there's more tender kisses, followed by very passionate one.  Nothing further than smooching, don't worry.

CONCLUSION
All in all, this was a good read & enjoyable.  I found myself turning & turning pages to see what happened next.  And the ending was quite a twist.  O_O  But in all honesty, it wasn't as thrilling an adventure as I thought it might be, or as past hype might have said.  If I ever come across the sequels for cheap, I maaaay pick them up just cuz, but otherwise, there's no eagerness in my mind to GO BUY THE NEXT BOOKS RIGHT AWAY.  I know SEVERAL series I would jump to purchase the sequels right after completing the first, but this one just doesn't feel like one of those to me.  

Again, my personal opinion & mine alone!  If you have read this series & HIGHLY recommend continuing it, or if you happen to pick up this book & the next, do let me know!  I'd love to hear your thoughts.  :]


FOUR out of FIVE stars

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <
Ages: 14+

Comments

  1. I've been eyeing this one for a long time, but I have seen some meh reviews. It sounds like it's pretty standard YA, with nothing super special about it. Which is a shame, because it sounds so fun! I LOVE Robin Hood-like stories. I'm like you, if I ever find it for super cheap somewhere, I'll probably pick it up. But otherwise I've got PLENTY of other books to read.

    Thanks so much for the review! These are always so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that pretty much sums it up! It was still a good story, but... ;D Yes! so do I! the Robin Hood feel are always so fun.

      My pleasure, girl. Thank you! :]

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you did a review of this one! I've wanted to know more about it for a while, but didn't know much about it. This gave me some good information about it! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad it's helped you out a little bit more. I'm always looking for content reviews on books also, and don't usually find the thorough ones I need---even if they have spoilers, I don't mind. That's why I write such thorough essays. xDDD So pleased it helped!

      Delete
  3. I had similar feelings when I finished this one too. I'm curious to see what happens in the next books, but haven't been in a rush to get them since my library only had the first one. The covers are SO BEAUTIFUL though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Yes, so am I, but definitely not in a rush. GAHHHH---YESSSSSS. The covers are GORGEOUS!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …