A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? >> 1st Monday Edition


It's a new week & the beginning of a new month, friends!
Can you believe it's JUNE??
I know I say it often, but the days & years REALLY fly by for me.  HEH.  And I dunno about you, but with all this virus junk, it basically feels like the first half of this year was wasted unnecessarily.  Anyone else feel the same? *raises hand*

But we ain't here to discuss politics (NOT my strong suit), so I'll share a fresh batch of names instead!

Enjoy.  :]



REGULAR

Kenshin

| Japanese
KEWN-SHEEN

From Japanese  (ken) meaning "humble, modest," and 信 (shin) meaning "trust, believe."  Other kanji combinations can also form this name.
Oana

Romanian 
WA-na

Romanian short form of Ioana, which is the feminine form of John, ultimately meaning "YAHWEH is gracious."
Declan

| Irish

Anglicized form of the Irish name Deaglán, which is of unknown meaning.  A bearer of this name, was Saint Declan, missionary to Ireland. 




PLACE NAMES
Arimathea
F | Biblical

From Greek Ἁριμαθαία (Harimathea), of unknown meaning.  In the New Testament, this is the name of the home of Joseph of Arimathea (Matt. 27:57; Mark 15:43; John 19:38).  The town has not been positively identified, though two near Jerusalem---Ramatayim or Ramah---has been proposed to be the Biblical Arimathea.


Delano
M | English

The name of several places in the United States.  From a surname, recorded as de la Noye in French, indicating the bearer was from a place called La Noue (ultimately Gaulish, meaning "wetland, swamp").  It has been used in honor of American president Franklin Delano Roosevelt (1882-1945), whose middle name was came from his mother's maiden name.

Mojave
M & F | English (American, rare)
moh-HAH-vee


From the name of the Mojave Desert, the driest desert in North America, located primarily within southeastern California & southern Nevada, and spans 47,877 square miles.  According to Wikipedia, the name Mojave originates from the native tribe of the same name---shortened from the endonym in their native language, Hamakhaave, meaning "beside the water."


Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <


Talk to me!


What do you think of this lovely set??  I rather like them all---I can't just choose one!  I could see Mojave being nicknamed as "Momo" or "Havi"---it's so unique.  :]  And Delano could be called "Del".  

Haha, but this isn't a Nickname post, Sarah... You're right, you're right!  But for some reason, I always have a nickname handy for any nonexistent characters---especially when I'm thinking which photos to use for these posts & what their friends might call them.  *chuckles nervously* #weird

But I ramble...
Anyway, I hope it's a lovely week for you!  Happy June!

Comments

  1. I love these name posts, but recently I haven't been able to view the pictures along with the names. The formatting of the sentences also looks a bit off. I always enjoy the pictures you use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! GAHHHH. Blogger recently updated their whole system & for some reason, the photos won't show unless I download/upload every single one to & from my computer... Usually I just copy the URL (soooo much easier). I'll try to fix this! Thanks for letting me know! And so pleased you enjoy these posts!!

      Delete
  2. Such fun names! I've always liked the name Declan. And oooh, Arimathea, Delano, AND Mojave would be such fun character names, are variations of those names. I personally LOVE how you always come up with nicknames. It's so fun! :D

    By the way, in your past couple of name posts (and maybe a couple of other posts) the pictures haven't been showing up. D: I can't see any of the lovely people pictures you chose. I don't know if it's my end or blogger is having problems or what, but I wanted to let you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girlie! Yes, it's so unique. And I agree! I kinda like Mojave the most, for some reason. Awww, so glad to hear! It's certainly fun on my part. :]

      GAHHHHH!! NOOOOooooo! Blogger recently updated their system, and while I like the new look, it's taken a little while to relearn it... and they're still working out some bugs---GRRR. Usually, I just copy the image URL, but the only way I can get the images to stay is if I go the extra mile & download /upload to/from my computer. Hopefully, they can fix this issue!! Thanks so much for letting me know! I greatly appreciate it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …