A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? // First Name Post of the Year!


Happy Monday, friends!
It's a brand new week, & I don't know about you, but Winter has finally made itself known in my area of the country.  And I'm so missing our non-typical 70-degree Dec./Jan. days.  I'm ready for Spring!!! Who's with me???

Ah well.  :]  It'll be here before we know it, so let's just take it a day at a time, yes?

And guess what??
I have a brand new set (actually two different sets!) of names for you today!  I'm doing things a little differently, and today is a kinda test run.
Read on to see some fun Nicknames, as well as a list of Surnames!

> > > > > < < < < <

Enjoy.

> > > > > < < < < <


NICKNAMES


Hex
Hector
| English, French, Greek Mythology (romanticized), Arthurian Romance
HEHK-ter (English), EHK-TAWR (French)

Latinized form of the Greek hektor, meaning "holding fast," which was derived from the Greek echo, meaning "to hold, to possess."  Hector was the given name of a Trojan champion who fought against the Greeks.  He killed Achilles' friend Patroclus in battle, but was afterward brutally slain by Achilles himself.  This name also appears in Arthurian legends as belonging to King Arthur's foster father.


Vivi
Genevieve
English
JEHN-É™-veev

English form of the French name Geneviéve, which is derived from the Greek name Genovefa, whose origin is uncertain, but the elements could mean something like "kin, family" & "wife, woman."


Jacks
Jackson
| English

From an English surname meaning "son of Jack."  A famous bearer of this surname was American president Andrew Jackson, of Tennessee (1767-1845).


Bee/Bina
Sabina
Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Polish, Czech, Slovene, Russian, Croatian, Swedish, Ancient Roman

Feminine form of Sabinus, a Roman cognomen meaning "a Sabine" in Latin.  The Sabines were an ancient people from central Italy, whose lands were eventually taken over by the Romans after many wars.  According to legend, several Sabine women were kidnapped during a raid, and when their men came to rescue them, the women were able to make peace between the two peoples.  This name has been borne by several early saints.


> > > > > < < < < <


SURNAMES


Sappington
English

Possibly from the city of Sapperton, England, which is derived from Old English elements sapere meaning "soap maker" & tun meaning "enclosure, yard, town."


Quinlan
Irish

From Irish Ã“ Caoindealbháin, which means "descendant of Caoindealbháin"---a given name meaning "comely form."



Van Der Zee
Dutch

Means "from the sea" in Dutch.  The original bearer may have been someone who lived on the coast.


Bakhtiari
Persian

From the given name Bakhtiar, which means "lucky" in Persian.










Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Whatcha think, friend?  Do you have any faves from these two sets?

Have a lovely week, dear beans!

Comments

  1. I'm actually so ecstatic about the extra cold weather. I'm a winter girl all the way. I'm dreading once it gets warmer. I know, I'm so weird. XD But I will miss my sweaters and boots! *sniffles*

    Aaaanyways.

    THESE NAMES. The nicknames sets tend to always be my favorite. You come up with SUCH unique ones. I am loving ALLLL of these. But Vivi for Genevieve is my favorite. That is just ADORABLE. Jacks for Jackson is also super fun! And the surnames are such interesting ones. You find the best names!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, a little weird, but we LOVE YOU ANYWAYS!!! xD ;DDD

      Awww, thanks! I do believe they are my favorite of all the posts as well. :] Thanks, girl!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, yes—that switch from warm weather to cold was quick! There were snow flurries pretty much all day here, but nothing stuck. Still, IT WAS SO COLD.

    "Vivi" as a nickname for Genevieve is so cool! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSS. We had a teensy bit of flurries here, but not really enough to officially say so, if ya know what I mean. ;D IT'S SO COLDDDD

      Yes, it is! ;D

      Delete
  3. This is such a great list of names!

    I'd love to find an opportunity to use Bakhtiari. It's such a cool sounding name!

    I had a grand-aunt named Genevieve, but they usually called her Gen. I like the nickname Vivi too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah!

      YESSSSS, do it!!! I think that's my fave of the surnames too. It's got an awesome ring to it.

      Awww, how sweet! I love that nickname for Genevieve as well---it's such a beautiful name to begin with.

      Delete
  4. I love this new layout for the names!!! All these are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks, girl!!! That makes my day! I was debating on how to lay it out to begin with, and your comment is so encouraging! *^ - ^*

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …