A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? || Christmas Edition!

Photo by Mariana B. on Unsplash

Heya, guys!
How do you do on this WEEK BEFORE CHRISTMAS??!? Can you believe it??  I'm sharing this post a day late from my usual Mondays, but my draft was incomplete & it slipped my mind last night (heheh), so here we are!

I'm featuring some seasonal names today!
Enjoy!

> > > > > < < < < <

Nicholas
| English

From the Greek name Nikolaos, meaning "victory of the people."  Saint Nicholas was a 4th-century bishop from Anatolia, who is known as the patron saint of children, sailors, and merchants.  He formed the basis of the figure known as Santa Claus (derived from Dutch Sinterklaas in the 19th century), who brings Christmas presents to children all over the world.

Ivy
English

From the English word for the climbing plant that has small yellow flowers.  Ultimately, it is derived from Old English ifig.


Winter
M & F English (modern),

From the English word for the season, from Old English winter.


Merry
| English, Literature

From the English word merry, ultimately derived from myrigeThis name appears in the novel "Martin Chuzzlewit" (1844) by Charles Dickens, where it is a diminutive of Mercy.  This is also the nickname of a hobbit in J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" (1954), whose full given name was Meriadoc (a semi-translation into English of his true hobbit name Kalimac, meaning "jolly, merry.")











Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Ready for Christmas yet?  Do you have any fun/unique traditions your family does for this celebratory holiday of our Lord's birth?  Evan & I don't have set-in-stone traditions yet, but we have some ideas for a couple to begin with our little family---like wearing unitard pjs to bed on Christmas Eve.  xD

Have a lovely week, y'all.  And a happy Christmas to you & yours!!!

Comments

  1. Awww, a Christmas edition! So perfect. I've always LOVED the name Ivy. It's so pretty. And I think using Winter as a name is just gorgeous too.

    MERRY CHRISTMAS, SWEET SARAH! I hope you and your precious family have an absolutely blessed, joyous one. <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I totally agree on both of those names. So lovely!

      MERRY CHRISTMAS, DEAR GIRL!!!!! I hope you & yours have a lovely one as well! Much love <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  2. I love Ivy; it always sounds so elegant. I also like the alternate spelling of Ivie. Merry Christmas to your little family!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …