A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? (on Tuesday...)

It's Tuesday.  And I'm sharing this week's Name post one. Day. LATE.
But it's okay!  Yesterday was a complete OFF DAY for me.  A total Monday, if you know what I mean.  I was in a funk, and I thank my God for my dear hubby & his unconditional love & patience with me.  I feel like I was an utter BEAR yesterday---and I HATE that.  But God's working in me!  And He's so good.

Anywho.  I've a new set of names, as usual, for this week!  (Dunno why I say that every time, because they'll always be new, right?? *thoughtful*)

Enjoy!

> > > > > < < < < <


Kenan
M | Biblical

Possibly means "possession" in Hebrew.  This was the given name of a son of Enosh, and a great-grandson of Adam & Eve in the Old Testament.


Nancy
F | English

Formerly a medieval diminutive of Annis (from Agnes, meaning "chaste"), though since the 18th century it has been more of a diminutive of Ann (from Hannah, meaning "favor, grace).  Presently, it is now regarded as an independent name, popular in the United States during the 20th century.  Though it derives from a different source, a city in Lorraine region of France bears this name.


Maurus
Late Roman

Latin name meaning "dark skinned."  This was the given name of many early saints---most notably a follower of Saint Benedict.


Violetta
Italian, Russian, Hungarian

Italian, Russian, & Hungarian form of Violet, from the English word for the purple flower (ultimately derived from Latin viola).







Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Favorites of these, me lovelies?

Also, can you believe it's MAY??  This year is nearly half over! WHOA.

So.  Just some things to be looking out for:
-  slight changes coming to the Name posts (hopefully) later this month
-  another Promptlies link-up coming in JUNE!!
-  a POSSIBLE bookish giveaway coming in July. . .
and
possibly a blog theme upgrade coming Summer/Fall/someday soon.

<3 <3 <3

Comments

  1. I'm sorry you were having a case of the Mondays! Those are seriously the worst. I hope you have a better day today! <3

    These are such great names. Especially Violetta! Oh my goodness, that is such a gorgeous name. I LOVE!

    I canNOT believe it's May, no. I'm in complete denial. XD But OOOOOH. I am so looking forward to all the things you have coming up! :O AWK. SO MANY EXCITING THIIINGS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Christine! It was a much better day, for sure. ^_^ <3

      I agree! They are so lovely & masculine.

      SAMMMMMMME. Awwww, thanks, girlie! I've been thinking of updating the template for a while now, but searching for the PERFECT one just takes TIME. I think I've found one, though, so it may happen sooner rather than later. :] <333

      Delete
  2. Interesting history behind the name Nancy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same! Had no idea when it came to that one. My pleasure!

      Delete
  3. Love all of these, as usual. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you, Ivie! (I'm planning on featuring your name next week, btw... hope you don't mind!)
      *^ - ^*

      Delete
  4. Aww you used the name I was talking about (Violetta)! I'm so happy you put it in this name feature :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was too lovely not to feature! :D <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …