A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? || Places Edition!

Happy Monday, y'all!
I just saw my little blog now has 100 FOLLOWERS!!! You guys. TT_TT Y'all are THE BEST.  Thanks for sticking with me! I love you bunches & would hug you & bake you cookies if I could, & we would fangirl HARD over ALL the things.  (Haha, not that we don't do so now. . . Captain 'Merica all the way, just saying.)

Anywho. . . If you're participating in my March Promptlies Link-up, I can hardly STAND the wait of seeing what stories you've cooked up!  How's it going??  I actually sprawled out on my bed last night with my notebook and WROTE words.  For, like, almost an hour---maybe an hour or so. . . I wasn't keeping track. heheh  It's a mess right now, but it felt SO GOOD to just do it.  I'll have my little story posted sometime later this week (Friday, hopefully!).

But for now, here's a fresh set of place names for you!  These feature an all-guys, boy-band kind of group.  ;D

Enjoy!

> > > > > < < < < <

Hanover
M | German

Meaning unknown. Variant of Hannover, which is the name of the capital & largest city of the German state of Lower Saxony. 


Dresden
M & F German

From the name of the German city, which is derived from Old Sorbian Drežďany, meaning "people of the riverside forest."


Kyoto
Japanese

Unknown meaning.  From the name of the capital city of the Kyoto Prefecture in the Kansai Region of Japan.  In Japanese history, it is best known as being the former Imperial capital of Japan for more than one thousand years.


Osaka
Japanese

Possibly from Japanese elements osa meaning "discipline, study," and ka "fragrance."  This is the name of a city in the Kansai Region of Japan, and, according to Wikipedia is "the capital city of Osaka Prefecture and the largest component of the Keihanshin Metropolitan Area, the second largest metropolitan area in Japan and among the largest in the world with over 19 million inhabitants."



Names & meanings via behindthename.com & Wikipedia.
Photos via Pinterest.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Whatcha think? (Dresden & Kyoto are probably my faves of these.)  I know the German & Japanese combo is kinda strange in this set, but these four stood out to me this week, and it's so neat to see the history of the cities!

Comments

  1. What a fun group of names. Dresden is definitely my favorite. That's an epic name for a guy! :D

    CONGRATS ON 100 FOLLOWERS!!!! SO EXCITING. *shoots Gandalf-style fireworks* AND congrats on writing! That is the BEST feeling. Spending an hour or so just getting words down. Yesss. It's truly magical. I canNOT wait to see your flash fiction piece! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Awww, thanks, girlie! *^ - ^* (Gandalf's fireworks are the BEST) Yes, it truly is a magical feeling, even if it comes out all jumbled at first or too much too fast, it's such a great feeling to get the words out there. :] Thank you! I'm posting it tomorrow (Wednesday)!!

      Delete
  2. Happy to see some Asian names! I like Kyoto as well, it's got that nice "kyoh" sound. I remember I was suprised to see Lee Min Ho's face on one of your old name posts ^_^ Where do you get your pictures from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I thought it was about time I shared more of those. I think so too! the "kyoh" just has a nice ring to it. :D I find all the photos on Pinterest, so a good bit of them tend to be celebrities, models, or just random beans whose faces I like. It's quite fun trying to match the faces with the names. *^ - ^*

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …