A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I am an ordinary gal, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here on this little blog, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? || Dystopian

Good evening, friends!
I've a brand new set of names for you today.  :D  And they are ones I've classified as having a Dystopian feel to them.  And there's SIX!
Do tell me what you think!

Enjoy.

> > > > > < < < < <

Keen
M & F | English

From the Old English surname meaning "bold, brave."


Yona
F | Hebrew, African

Variant of Yonah, which is Hebrew form of Jonah, meaning "dove." 


Rift
M | English

From the word meaning "fissure, crevice" or "a crack, split, or break in something."


Skye
F | English, Scottish

From the name of the Isle of Skye off the west coast of Scotland.  It is sometimes considered a variant of Sky---which comes from the English word---but is ultimately derived from the Old Norse sky meaning "cloud."


Gannon
M | English, Irish

From the surname, which ultimately comes from Fionnán, meaning "white, fair."


Nyx
F | Greek Mythology

Means "night" in Greek.  This was the given name of the Greek goddess of night, the daughter of Khaos & the wife of Erebos.







Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

What would you add to this list of Dystopian names??  Got a favorite of these?  I kinda like 'em all, to be honest.  But I lean towards Nyx & Rift of this lot.  :]

Have a lovely week, y'all!  
And if you're interested, don't forget about my March linkup!

Comments

  1. Ooooh, very dystopianish! LOVE. I think Nyx is my favorite too! I feel like that'd be a good one for a mischievous fairy as well. So many possibilities! :D And I've ALWAYS loved the name Skye. It's so pretty. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! totally a faerie name! And yes, Skye just has a simple beauty about it. ^_^

      Delete
  2. This makes me want to write more dystopian fiction. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. These do have a sort of dystopian feel to them, don't they?

    I love Skye the most - mainly because I have a family connection to the Isle of Skye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! It's a beautiful name (and country). :D

      Delete
  4. I really loved both Skye and Nyx. Both are so cool sounding!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the name Nyx. I actually know someone who has a character of that name in their story, and the character is a dark and brooding type.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Book Review || The Memory Thief
I'm BACKKKKK! I truly did not mean to take such a long leave of absence from my blog, nor to neg…
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…