A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

How I Plan to Survive NaNoWriMo


NaNoWriMo is here!

Anyone else feel that way?? *points up*
Well, if so, I thought I'd share my survival plan for this lovely month of November.  It's nothing much, just three tips to keep my sanity (especially with a little one to tend).  :]


For those of you unfamiliar with this strange word, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month.  And in this particular month, writers and authors from all over the world commit their time & talents to writing an entire novel in THIRTY. DAYS.

Oh the INSANITY.

But yeah.  It's pretty cool.  :]  My first-ever time taking part was last year and it gave me the push I needed to start working on my WIP Beauty & the Beast retelling, Noya I didn't quite make "winner," but I had a great time writing and learning more of my characters & story.  [Read my post from last year here on How I Survived NaNo as Just a Participant.]  And if you are participating, I'd love to be a writing buddy!  Find me here.  *^ - ^*

With a two & a half month old baby to tend nearly every hour of the day, as well as my household duties as a wife, I have limited time to write.  Because of this, I've a plan to balance out my desires.

I know school, work, and other responsibilities may take up your own sweet writing time as well, so perhaps these simple things could help keep you focused. :]



If, due to your responsibilities---be they what they be, the 50k goal isn't possible and leaves you feeling defeated and doubting your writing skills, then set your own ACHIEVABLE goals and meet them.  I'm not saying don't strive for that 50k---do so! and have fun!  But also remember if that goal isn't met, then don't be defeated.  It's not the end of the world!  You are no failure.  (Unless you DIDN'T strive for the goal and procrastinated in your laziness.  Only then would you have failed due to a lack of ambition.)

This November's goal for me is not so much word count as it is time.  I'm working towards taking a minimum of ten minutes a day.  And so far so good!  My ten minutes yesterday turned into a whopping half-hour!

Achievable goals spark motivation, y'all.  Make 'em & meet 'em!


There's no room for stress.

None.

So, STOP. IT. 


Seriously, though.  Stress is unhealthy, for both body & mind.  And if you are writing AND stressing on a story that is your passion for this November, most likely the words will not flow as smoothly, nor will you enjoy the process near as much as you SHOULD.

Which leads me to the next tip. . .


ENJOY THE PROCESS.  
There's not many things in the writing world so thrilling as seeing your characters & scenes come together, flowing through your pen (or keypad) and filling blank pages.  And when an amazing new idea pops into your brain, it's such fun to jot it down.  Or when a plot hole seems to fill itself, you could almost cry for joy!

When the fun just doesn't seem to come, it may be worth it to stop and take a break, then return with fresh eyes.

Enjoy the writing!

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <


What of you, dear heart?  Do you have a survival plan?  How do you enjoy the process?  Do you set small goals with prizes to keep you going?  Let me know!

Happy writing, y'all!

Comments

  1. These are wonderful tips! I love your point about setting achievable goals. Sometimes I expect myself to write too much, and when I don't reach the goal, I get even more stressed. Small steps are as important as large ones! :) Best wishes with your NaNo goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! "Achievable" is the key word here. :] I totally do the same (hence, the post *wink wink*). Definitely! Couldn't have said it any better than that (^_^)b

      Delete
  2. First of all, the gif-usage in this post is spot on. XD

    But aaaahhhh, yes! This is all SUCH fantastic reminders! I think we put way too much stress on...well, the STRESS of NaNo. XD When really it's all just for fun and to help us learn to manage our writing time better. Something I too often forget in the midst of the insanity. Thank you for this reminder!

    I do hope the rest of the month goes amazingly for you! WE'VE GOT THIS! *raises laptop and charges*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thanks! (GIFs just make a post, I must say!) So glad to hear! And YESSSS. We've totally got dis. *raises pen* FOR NARNI---er, FOR OUR STORIES!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Indeed, yes!

    My goal is to try for the 50K, but I really don't want to force a lot of bad writing....so I'm trying to write everyday until my muse gives out. Sometimes that's a thousand word day, sometimes it's a hundred word day. I'll just take it as it comes :).

    And I'm totally using those Month of the Novel videos that Kendra shared as rewards for a 800+ word day. Seems to be working so far :)

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just two more days in November and I'd say writing near 2K words (I peeked) is nothing to sneeze at! Good for you, Sari! I hope you have enjoyed the month (with minimal stress) and are pleased with the time you were able to put in. Huzzah!

    Also, I totally agree: GIF usage on point. *heehee*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Risa! I am happy to have written, but I am a teensy bit disappointed in myself for not having tried a little harder to attain my goal of writing ten minutes a day. That certainly did not happen... *facepalm* Ah well. I'm planning on Camp NaNo for sure!! Are you?

      Haha! thanks! xD

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…