A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name?

I JUST realized I never clicked "publish" for this post. . . O__O


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday has come yet again!  :]
Did y'all have a good weekend?  Do anything special to celebrate Mother's Day?

I enjoyed a fantastic girl's day shopping on Saturday, followed by a lovely service at church, and a full day with my family that afternoon.  Didn't want it to end!  (Cuz then ya know ya gotta go to work. . . ;D )  But the days go on, right?  And it seems Summer is just around the corner!  #WHOA

Here's a new set of names for you this week.  Do let me know if you find a new favorite!  (Aulora stands out to me in this batch)
Enjoy! :]

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <


Stefan
M | German, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, Polish, Bulgarian, Macedonian, Serbian
SHTE-fan (German), STAY-fahn (Dutch), STE-fan (Polish)

A form of Stephan, which hails from the Greek name Stephanos, meaning "crown" or more literally "that which surrounds."


Aulora
F | English (rare)
ah-LORE-ah (possibly)

Meaning unknown.  Possibly a variant of Aurora, which means "dawn" in Latin. 


Sander
M | Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish
SAHN-der (Dutch)

The Dutch and Scandinavian short form of Alexander, which means "defending men."


Alisa
F | Russian, Ukrainian, Bosnian, Finnish
u-LYEE-sÉ™ (Russian), AH-lee-sah (Finnish)

The Russian, Ukrainian, Bosnian, and Finnish form of Alice, which ultimately comes from Adelaide, meaning "a kind of noble."



Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

Comments

  1. I wonder how in the world Alice/Alisa came from Adelaide...

    Aulora and Sander are really cool names too!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh... I totally should've added that just for curiousity's sake ;D Alice comes from Aalis, a short form of Adelais, which is in turn a Germanic short form of Adelheidis (Adelaide). <-- Maybe that will make more sense!

      Yes! I love those too!

      Delete
  2. (Forgetting to post something totally sounds like something I'd do. XD No worries, girl!)

    Aulora and Alisa are so pretty! I think I've mentioned that I looove names that start with vowels. Sander is a really good one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heheheh... Oh good. ;D

      Yes! I've loved the meaning of Aurora, and Aulora is just as lovely!

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…