A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? [Surnames]

Wow.  I haven't blogged all week. . . O_o  And it seems today you may get two posts in one day.

Because it's Friday.  Remember?  A + A Fridays?  Yep.  Don't forget to check back later!

Ahem.  Looking back in my archived posts, I realized I have only published one TWO rounds of surnames.  Yes.  Way back in. . . July and, um, September of 2013.  So, here's a new set for you, my fellow writer.  :]

Barlow
Source:  Location
Usage:  English
Pronunciation:  BAHR-lo

Meaning & History
Derived from a number of English place names with varying meanings: "barley hill," "barn hill," "boar clearing," or "barley clearing."

Side note:  This is the surname of one of my MCs in Kyndi's story.  Edmund Barlow, British citizen and wealthy businessman residing in London.



Brandt
Source:  Given Name
Usage:  German
Pronunciation:  BRAND-t

Meaning & History
German variant of the surname Brand, which is derived from the Germanic given name Brando or its Old Norse derivative Brandr, meaning "sword."

Side note:  Another of my character names.  Jack Brandt, security chief and personal bodyguard (and friend) of Edmund Barlow. (Yes, another Brit.)  :]



Saylor
Source:  Occupation
Usage:  English
Pronunciation:  SAY-lore

Meaning & History
Occupational name for a leaper, dancer, or acrobat, from the Old French sailleor.

Hutchinson
Usage:  English, Norwegian
Pronunciation:  HUTCH-in-son

Meaning & History
Unknown.  Possibly means "son of Hutchins," which could be taken from Hudson, meaning "son of Hudde" (a Medieval diminitive of Hugh or possibly Richard.)

Heheh.  I couldn't resist putting a picture of Hutch from the old TV show "Starsky and Hutch" with this name.  :]








Names and meanings via surname.behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

 photo sarahsignature_zps5172c7cd.png

Comments

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…