A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name?

Good morning, m'dears!
I do hope you all had a lovely Easter and a beautiful Resurrection Sunday.  Praise to God, for our King is alive! 

Here's a new set of names for you.  Haha, I'm getting to the point where I think I'm re-using photos. . . I can't remember if I've posted them before!  Ah well.  Perhaps you won't remember either. . . ;D

Happy Monday!


Charlton
Gender:  Masculine
Usage:  English
Pronunciation:  KAHRL-tǝn, CHAHRL-tǝn

Meaning & History
From a surname which was originally from a place name meaning "settlement of free men" in Old English. This was the known given name of American actor Charlton Heston (1928-2008; born John Charles Carter), famous for his roles in Ben-Hur (1959), The Ten Commandments (1956), and The President's Lady (1953), among others.





Tirzah
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  Biblical, Hebrew
Pronunciation:  TEER-zah, TYR-zah (possibly)

Meaning & History
Means "delight."  The name of a woman and a city in the Old Testament.  This was the given name of the youngest of Zelophahad's five daughters (Numbers 26:33; Joshua 17:3).  It was also the title of one of thirty-one ancient Canaanite cities west of the Jordan River that was conquered by Joshua (Josh. 12:24).  Tirzah was the capital of the northern kingdom of Israel from the reign of Jeroboam I to that of Omri, who then moved the capital to Samaria after ruling Tirzah for six years (1 Kings 16:23).

Nero
Gender:  Masculine
Usage:  Ancient Roman
Pronunciation:  NEER-o

Meaning & History
Roman cognomen, which was possibly of Sabine origin meaning "strong, vigorous" or even "brave."  This name was borne most infamously by a tyrannical Roman emperor of the 1st century. 

[Sarah's note:]  I think this would be a pretty cool futuristic name in a dystopian novel.  But unfortunately, because it was borne by a corrupt ruler of our world's history, it would also be a good name for a villain.  Why?  Simply because upon first hearing this name, people will immediately recall it as the handle of a REALLY bad king.  However, I would encourage you, if you choose to use this name, to break free of the norm and maybe make this guy an amazing character in your amazing story.  :]

Serah
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  Biblical Hebrew
Pronunciation:  se-RAH, or SE-rah (possibly)

Meaning & History
From the Hebrew name Serach meaning "abundance." This was the given name of a daughter of Asher, the son of Jacob and Zilpah (Gen. 46:17; 1 Chron. 7:30).







Names & meanings via behindthename.com and 
All the Names in the Bible by Thomas Nelson.
Photos via Pinterest.


xxx
Sarah

Comments

  1. Great collection, as usual, Sarah! (I never got around to commenting on that one post where you were asking if people still liked your name posts... I'm here to say, that YES, I love them! They've helped me with story characters before, and besides that, they're fascinating.) Now I really badly want to go write an awesome guy named Nero. o.o

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…