A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? | Medieval Edition

Here's a set of Medieval-ty for you.  :]  Hope you enjoy these, dearies!
Elric
Gender:  Masculine
Usage:  Medieval English
Pronunciation:  ELL-rick

Meaning & History
Medieval form of either ÆLFRIC, from the Old English elements for "elf" and "power, rule"; or ÆÐELRIC, which also hails from Old English meaning "noble" and "power, rule"; both of which were rarely used after the Norman conquest. 
Amberly
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  English (modern)
Pronunciation:  AM-bǝr-lee

Meaning & History
An elaboration of Amber, defined either by the gemstone or the orange-yellow color of the same name; influenced by the spelling of the name Kimberly
Milton
Gender:  Masculine
Usage:  English
Pronunciation:  MIL-tǝn

Meaning & History
From an English surname, which in turn is derived from a place name meaning "mill town" in Old English.  A famous bearer of this name was John Milton (1608-1684), the poet who penned "Paradise Lost."

NOTE:  This is the given name of my grandfather, my mother's father. :]
Dedra
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  English, Irish
Pronunciation:  DEE-dra

Meaning & History
Possibly a variant of Dierdre, meaning unknown, though it could be derived from a Celtic word meaning "woman."








---------------------------------------------------

Should I do another set of Medieval-ty names or try something else?

post signature

Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

Comments

  1. Oooh, medieval names! I'm ALWAYS in need of those. These are great! I sort of just totally fell in love with Amberly. o.o Soooo pretty!

    Thanks, Sarah! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, perfection! Such great picture/name combos. If you're up to it, yes, please do more medieval names! Like Christine said, I can always use more of those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh. I have to use Elric someday. *makes note* Maybe as a king, since his name means 'rule?' It sounds like a kingly name, too.
    Thanks for sharing, Sarah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous names! Love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine: My pleasure! ^__^ I like Amberly a lot as well. :]

    Tracey: *blushes* So glad you think so! I LOVE Medieval themes. Definitely plenty more for another set (or three). ;D

    Katie Grace: YES. I love Elric as a name, and it would fit a king perfectly! :3

    Eliza Noel: Me too! There's just something sweet about it. :]

    Proverbs31teen: Thank you, girlie!

    And I thank you all, m'ladies! Your comments makes me happy ^__^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…