Monday, June 9, 2014

What's in a Name?

Wow!  This marks the 50th Name post!  Whoa.  That means approximately 200 names have been featured on this here blog.  :O  Double WOW!  That's "beyond awesome.  It's be-awesome!"  ;D

On to the names!


Takeshi
Gender:  Masculine
Usage:  Japanese
Pronunciation:  tah-KEH-shee (possibly)

Meaning & History
Means "military, warrior" in Japanese.









Lena
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, German, Polish, Russian, English, Italian, Portuguese
Pronunciation:  LE-nah (German), LYE-nah (Russian), LEE-nah (English)

Meaning & History
Scandinavian, German, and Polish short form of Helena ("torch" or possibly "moon") or Magdalena ("of Magdala"), and Russian short form of Yelena.

Antonello
Gender:  Masculine
Usage:  Italian
Pronunciation:

Meaning & History
A form of Antonius, an Ancient Roman form of Anthony (English), which possibly means "priceless one."

This is the given name of a character of mine, though he goes by the name Tony.  He is the father of Chess Palladino, my main character in a concept story I'm working on.




Larisa
Gender:  Feminine
Usage:  Russian, Ukranian, Croatian, Latvian, Greek Mythology
Pronunciation:  lah-REE-sah (Russian)

Meaning & History
Possibly taken from the name of an ancient city in Thessaly, meaning "citadel."

In Greek mythology, this was the name of a nymph, a daughter of Pelasgus, and was later borne by a 4th-century Greek matryr who is revered as a saint in the Eastern Church.





Names and meanings via behindthename.com and nameberry.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

-----------------------------------------

Check back next Monday for a set of names for twins!

Any requests?

 photo sarahsignature_zps5172c7cd.png

3 reflections:

Bethan Downs said...

These names are all really cool! I love choosing character names with a special meaning that's relevant to my character when I'm writing :)
I've just followed your blog using GFC - I love it so much! I would love it if you would check out my blog.

xoxo,
Bethan

thinkreadwritedream.blogspot.com

Sarah Elizabeth said...

Thank you, Bethan! And thanks for following! I will definitely visit your blog :]

Have a blessed week!

Risa said...

He-ey! 50 Name posts and 50 followers! You are on a roll, girl. :D

Larisa is a beautiful name but one I fear I can never love. I am almost always called Larisa the first time I meet someone new. ;P I've begun to just accept it as my second name, lol.