A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Review >> A Dragon By Any Other Name

Happy Fri---er, Saturday!!

In all honesty, I had this post drafted & NEARLY ready yesterday to publish, but Life happened and so here we are, haha.  ^ - ^

Also, I have a treat for you today!  This is a novel from one of my favorite, perhaps lesser-known, authors that released during Summer last year.  I received it as a [requested] gift & promptly devoured it whole.  If you are familiar with S.D. Grimm (perfect name for an author, I must add!!), then you have probably heard of her CHILDREN OF THE BLOOD MOON series---a high-stakes, epic, adventure fantasy.  Needless to say, I would highly recommend.  :]

And THIS BOOK.

SOOOOO GOOD.


> > > > > < < < < <

A Dragon By Any Other Name
S.D. Grimm

Fayette Press | July 6th, 2021
Clean Fiction, Faerietale Retellings, Modern Fantasy

{GoodReads}
This time, beauty is the beast. And she wants prince charming dead.

At eighteen, Keira is a formidable dragon hunter bent on finding her parents’ killer—a forest dragon she once helped escape her mother’s laboratory. Biggest mistake of her life. Now, Keira pours her thirst for revenge into her mother’s life-long mission: figuring out what a forest dragon’s poison is . . . so she can destroy the murderers for good.

But Keira’s plan begins to unravel when she takes on a life debt to a forest dragon in order to save her brother. Trapped behind enemy lines, Keira’s assumptions about dragons are turned upside down, and she must confront the possibility that everything she knows about dragons is wrong. As she gets closer to discovering the forest dragon’s poison, she must decide if the price of this knowledge is worth the sacrifice.

In this not-quite fairy tale, what the “princess” needs most is a change of heart. But will it change in time for her to save those she’s already sentenced to death—even if the cost is her own freedom?

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <
I was provided with a complimentary copy thanks to Bethany House for my honest review.
WARNING: Possible Spoilers!

THE BASICS

"Humans and dragons? They don’t mix very well.” 
“Because you monsters are always trying to kill us?” I crossed my arms. 
“Because we don’t take the time to understand one another.”

At present, this is the only novel set in this particular storyworld---which completely saddens me, because I WANT MOOOORRRRE.  It had the feel of an Urban Fantasy, with more modern/advanced tech, powered vehicles, colleges, and the like---and YET, there were DRAGONS, dagger fights, and so much more.

I enjoyed the characters immensely.  Keira's character arc was handled beautifully well.  At first, she seemed more of the macho type than I normally relate to---but only briefly---because throughout the story she comes to see a new perspective & a different side of things, as the actions & fruit of her "enemies" come to be seen in a wholly different light.

I love her brother---their relationship was so sweet.  And the 

I NEVER get tired of Beauty & the Beast retellings.  And the entirely new & fresh take on my beloved faerietale in this novel, was amazing.  My opinion, of course, as you must read for yourself to voice your own.  ;D  But I could hardly put this book down!!  

VIOLENCE
Knife-throwing; dragon battles; usually some kind of cutting, slashing, fire-(or some other such substance) breathing going on.  A young man fires a crossbow, hitting a dragon between the eyes.  A young woman throws a knife at a small target on a dragon's neck.  We see a small town in ashes, presumably after a dragon attack.

Two partners work together in fighting a dragon with knives & crossbow, injuring it enough to capture it.  A woman's arms is burned; a young man's leg is badly injured by burns.  Dragons can be killed by knife to a particular spot on the head---they then turn to ash.  Characters double over from excruciating pain.  Someone pushes a knife against a man's side, drawing blood.  A dragon latches onto another's throat, killing it.

A man treats an injured animal for a gunshot wound, pulling out a bullet & stitching it up.

SPIRITUAL CONTENT
I read this a little while back, so I don't recall any spiritual content...

A hungry, homeless woman thanks a young man by saying, "bless you."

LANGUAGE // ALCOHOL & DRUGS
None, other than mild slang such as, "get the heck outta Dodge," "holy crap," "butt crack of dawn," and "what the heck."

Don't recall anything regarding alcohol or drugs.  But a creature is kept in a laboratory of sorts, and it may be implied they were experimenting on it.

ROMANTIC CONTENT
In a class, Keira notices a cute guy & maybe ogles his biceps a minute too long; he obviously notices & enjoys making her squirm.

There's growing attraction in a kind of slow burn (pun intended---because DRAGONS xD), enemies-to-lovers type thing.  At least one tender & passionate kiss happens, but, of course, nothing further.  They also dance a waltz together quite intimately.  (All told, I loved how their relationship grew.  Very sweet!)

CONCLUSION
As mentioned above, it was SO DIFFICULT to put this book down.  Such a great page-turner!  And it certainly left me wanting more of the story-world.  I loved the characters, the story was FRESH, there were DRAGONS, and the romance was sweet.  And to top it all, it's a Beauty & the Beast retelling!! AND a clean read!!  Also, PLOT TWIST.  Others more discerning may pick up on it, but I believe I was just so engrossed in the tale, it was a surprise.  :]

Bottom line:  READ THIS BOOK!

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

5 OUT OF 5 STARS
Ages: 16+

Comments

  1. Beauty and the Beast and dragons??? This is a Christine story if I've ever heard of one! ;D I've been meaning to read S.D. Grimm's books for ages now. They sound amazing and aaahhhhh this just seems absolutely DELICIOUS. Thank you for sharing about it! I need this in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessssss. I do believe this one could officially be categorized as a Christine Story. xDDD If you ever pick up her books, I'd love to hear what you think!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …