A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? // 1st-Monday Edition


Happy Monday, friends!
As I sit here finishing the draft of this post, I have the windows open in my home & the front door thrown wide to welcome the gorgeous cloudy sunshine of a 70-degree, near-Spring, Tennessee day.

Well, it's the first Monday of the month---FEBRUARY!!!---and that means a new Name post!  Do you guys look forward to these as much as I do??  xD

I've got EIGHT names for you today!
Enjoy!

> > > > > < < < < <


REGULAR


Dirk
| Dutch, German, English

Short form of the name Diederik, which is the Dutch form of the name Theodoric---a Germanic name meaning "ruler of the people."



Elissa
English, Roman mythology

Meaning unknown---possibly of Phoenician origin.  In Roman mythology, this was another name of Dido, the legendary queen of Carthage.  Could also be a variant of Elisabeth, which is the German & Dutch form of Elizabeth, meaning "my God is an oath."  



Tristan
| Welsh, English, French, Arthurian Romance

Old French form of the Pictish name Drustan, a diminutive of Drust, meaning "riot" or "tumult".  The spelling was altered by association with the Latin word tristis "sad."  Tristan is a character in medieval French tales, possibly inspired by Celtic legends & merged with Arthurian stories.  The tale of Tristan & Isolde is a very popular tragic love story.



Naomi
| English, Hebrew, Biblical

From the Hebrew name Na'omi, meaning "pleasant."  In the Old Testament, this is the given name of Ruth's mother-in-law.  In Japanese, the combined elements of nao "straight" and mi "beautiful," are thus.







> > > > > < < < < <


PLACE NAMES


Berlin
M & F | German

Meaning unknown.  From the name of a city in Germany.






Madrid
M & F | Spanish, English (American, rare)



From the place name of the capital city of Spain.  Meaning unknown---but could be derived from the Arabic al-MagrÄ«t, meaning "source of water."

NOTE:
If I were to use this name, I can totally see myself using "Maddie" or even "Mads" as a nickname for this character.  :]


Raleigh
M | English

From a surname derived from a place name meaning either "red clearing" or "roe deer clearing" in Old English.  A city in North Carolina bears this name---named after the English explorer, poet, & courtier, Sir Walter Raleigh (1552-1618).








Vienna
FDutch, English, Medieval Italian, Italian

From the name of a city in Austria.  Possibly derived from Roman Vindobona, which comes from the Celtic vindo "white" & bona "foundation, fort."  This name was borne by Vienna da Fuscaldo, mother of Saint Francis of Paola.







Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Whatcha think of these, dear heart? 
Do you have any faves from these two sets?

I hope it's a lovely week for you.  :]  Now, get out there & sieze the day!

Comments

  1. I'm literally sitting outside with my laptop as I type this, enjoying this 70s weather. I can't believe how warm it is! I mean, I personally LOVE the winter, but I certainly enjoy spring weather too. ^_^

    I 10000% look forward to these and THIS SET. Soooo many good ones! Elissa, Madrid, and Vienna are all GORGEOUS. And Naomi is like one of my favorite names!!! You also can't go wrong with Tristan. I've always had a soft spot for that one too.

    Such a gorgeous set! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love such lovely days!!

      EEEP! Your comments just make my day! This was such a fun set to work with---I'm so pleased you gals think so too. ;D

      Thanks, girl!! <333

      Delete
  2. Dirk is such a cool name!!!! I'm definitely adding it to my list of "must use" names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is probably my favorite What's in a Name collection! I especially like Elissa, Tristan, and Raleigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, I'm so glad you think so!! They're such a great list of names. *^ - ^* <333

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …