A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I am an ordinary gal, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here on this little blog, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name?


How's your Summer going, dear heart?  Mine has been so lovely thus far!  I feel like it's going by waaaaaay too quickly though. . .

And in less than two months, my baby boy turns ONE YEAR OLD.
. . .
WUUUUUUUT???  I can't believe it!  He's growing up so fast!

Are you a Summer gal, like me, or are you so ready for the loveliness of Fall?

> > > > > < < < < <

Anywho,
New names! Just four for ya today. :]

> > > > > < < < < <

Kent
M | English

From a surname, originally derived from the name of a county in England, which could possibly be derived from a Brythonic word meaning "coastal district."


Muriel
F | English, French, Irish

Medieval English form of a Celtic name possibly derived from the Irish Muirgel, which means "bright sea".  The Normans brought this name from Brittany to England. 



Cyril
M | English, French, Czech, Slovak

From the Greek name Kyrillos, derived from kyrios meaning "lord."  This name was borne by a number of notable saints, including Cyril of Jerusalem, a 4th-century bishop & Doctor of the Church, and Cyril of Alexandria, a 5th-century theologian.  Another Saint Cyril was a 9th-century linguist & Greek missionary to the Slavs.  He & his brother Methodius, created the Cyrillic alphabet (still in use today) in order to translate the Bible into Slavic. 

Dorothea
F | German, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, English, Late Greek
do-ro-TEH-a (German), dawr-e-THEE-e (English)

Feminine form of the Late Greek name Dorotheos, meaning "gift of God."  It is composed of the Greek elements doron "gift" & theos "god."  The given name Theodore is made up of the same elements in reverse order.  Dorothea was the name of at least two early saints, notably 4th-century martyr Dorothea of Caesarea.  It was also the given name of 14th-century Dorothea of Montau, the patron saint of Prussia.

NOTE:  Theodore & Dorothea would make great names for character twins!





Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Talk to me!  What do you think of these lovelies?? I kind of like Dorothea. <3

Comments

  1. These are all such cute names! And Theodore and Dorothea would be ADORABLE names for twins. I loooove that! SO CUTE. You are truly the naming master!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! *^ - ^* Awwww, you are too kind! <333

      Delete
  2. I love this set of names. Especially Cyril and Dorothea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Book Review || The Memory Thief
I'm BACKKKKK! I truly did not mean to take such a long leave of absence from my blog, nor to neg…
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…