A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name? || Nicknames!


Good Monday to you, friends!

How was your weekend?
I seemed to have taken yet another unintentional hiatus last week. . . heheh. But that's kinda what Summers are for, right? 


> > > > > < < < < <

Enjoy this set of nicknames! :]

> > > > > < < < < <

Clay
Clayborne
M | English

Meaning unknown.  Variant of the surname, Claiborne.


Margie
Margaretta
F | English

Latinate form of Margaret, which is derived from Latin Margarita, from Greek margarites, meaning "pearl."


Jase
Jason
English, French, Greek mythology (Anglicized), Biblical

From the Greek name Iason, which is derived from the Greek word iasthai, "to heal."  In Greek mythology, this was the given name of the leader of the Argonauts.  This name also appears in the New Testament, borne by a man who sheltered Paul & Silas.


Cass/Cassi
Cassandra
| English, Greek

From the Greek Kassandra, which is possibly derived from the elements kekasmai "to excel, to shine", and aner "man".  In Greek mythology, this was the name of a Trojan princess, who was given the gift of prophecy by Apollos, though he later cursed her for rejecting him, so that no one would believe her.


Don
Donato
Italian, Spanish, Portuguese

From the Late Latinate name Donatus, meaning "given."  Many saints bore this name, as well as two Renaissance masters: the sculptor Donato di Niccolo di Bette Bardi (known better as Donatello), and the architect Donato Bramante.


Lonna
Talonna
English

Meaning unknown.  
Could also use the nickname Tal for this one.






Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.



> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Talk to me!  Any faves?? I love them ALLL, but Clay & Lonna stick out to me the most.

Have a great week, me lovelies! I'm getting a game plan up for August. Can you believe Summer is basically OVERRRR?! TT_TT

Comments

  1. I would have though Don would be a nickname for Donovan before Donato, but that's really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Same. But I kinda like Donato---it is unique. ;D

      Delete
    2. or Donald XDD but Donato is rlly cool!!

      Delete
    3. Ha! YESSS. That would've been great for this! xD Because someone named that in a present generation would most likely not like it as he grows up... because it's more of an outdated/old-fashioned name (no offense to any Donalds! I'm thinking character-wise ;D)

      Delete
  2. NICKNAMES. I just LOVE the nickname ones! Jase is such a fun one. And Talonna! SO PRETTY. I love Lonna AND Tal as a nickname for that one. Totally writing that one down! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! I do too! ^_^ And I agree! I can't really say which I like better of the two. But I could certainly see a character by that name, with maybe her family & friends using both, ya know? Or maybe her family calls her Lonna & her friends call her Tal---or vice versa. ;D

      Delete
  3. I LOVE ALL OF THESE SO MUCH!!! I missed these posts. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. So this is probably just me, but trying to view these with Chrome on my phone, I've noticed all the names don't load since you've updated.

    On my phone it shows "n" as the nickname for Donato.

    I've been reading your blog for a long time, although this might be my first comment.

    I'm not sad for summer to end -- my week of scheduled vacation is in September! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lauren! :D I'm so sorry to hear. I wouldn't have a clue why it would be doing that. I've checked it on my phone, but it uses Apple's Safari launcher for the websites & everything seems to load well there. Does this happen on every post?

      No worries! So happy to have such a longtime reader! *^ - ^* *showers virtual confetti & sprinkles* I'd hug you if I could. ;D

      Oooh! I love drawing out vacations. And usually the later months of the year are the BEST time to go. Have fun & enjoy!!

      I would say I'd do what I can on my end to help fix the issue, but I honestly have no idea even where to begin... So sorry! If it keeps happening, please let me know again & I'll try something. Thanks, girl!

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…