A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Gemma >> June Promptlies #1

Photo by Johan Mouchet on Unsplash

Happy Friday!!!
It's Week 1 of my June Promptlies Link-up!
Click HERE for the info.  :]

> > > > > < < < < <

So.  I had this brilliant story idea pop into my head last week & absolutely REFUSE to leave.  Seriously.  That's all I did one morning after Gabe went down for his nap.  I sat in my favorite armchair & just WROTE.  It felt so good!!  By the time the day was done, I probably had a good three hours of writing in total (added up from free time throughout the day).

This particular story would read like a contemporary drama.  I think.  Something I've never attempted before because I usually tend to stick with Fantasy. . . heheh  But this one is set in SPAIN---of all places.  And I can't help but be excited.  *squeeeee*  I feel lazy though.  Writing a story that's set in the real world is gonna be HARD---difficult, to say the least.  It's going to take a ton of research, and it would be AMAZING if I could actually travel there. . .  Something I can't see happening for quite a while. But that's okay.  :]  This is just a BABY story---one that's barely begun to grow, so who knows?  Maybe a decade from now a trip to Spain would be possible???

Honestly, it's never crossed my mind to visit Spain.  If I were to travel overseas anywhere, I've always wanted to go to Australia, but my tastes have seemed to change & now lean more towards Iceland, Switzerland, or Ireland (notice a similarity??).  I suppose Australia is more for the accents than anything else.  ;D  haha.  But recently, Spain & it's exotic culture has called to me.  Hence, a spontaneous story set in said country.

But I digress.

> > > > > < < < < <

Here's a quick summary of my newest concept idea:

Gemma Quin is an introvert.  She much prefers the familiarity of her personal studio in her small hometown working on graphic design or creating things with her hands.  Her chapter in high school has ended, and along with her best friends, Cassidy, Caleb, & Reid, life is changing & moving forward at a pace she can't seem to keep up.  College pressure, an unknown future, & the upending result of change threatens to drown her.  She survived the gauntlet that is high school, she can survive whatever comes next, right?  Maybe.

When the siblings, Cassidy & Caleb, invite her to join the family on their annual Summer trip overseas---this year in Spain---Gemma surprises herself with an impromptu yes.  Little does she know this trip of a lifetime holds a world of possibilities:  inspiration, adventure, & maybe even a prince.

> > > > > < < < < <

Read on, if you wish to see my result of this week's writing prompt!


> > THE PROMPT < <


Nothing too exciting in this short story.  And totally first-draft-NOT-perfect stuff.  But hopefully it gives you a teensy taste of the characters & setting.  I already LOVE these guys.

> > MY STORY < <

          Gemma nearly plowed into her friend as Cassidy stooped suddenly with a gasp in the midst of the busy sidewalk. Her voice was theatrical in mock sorrow, “How the mighty have fallen!”
          “It’s a dropped chocolate bar. Stop being dramatic.”
          Her brother scoffed at her with an amused grin. He stepped beside Gemma to create a human barrier as Cassidy rescued what she referred to as the “rich and dreamy sweet of the heavens.” Her boyfriend, Will, just shook his head, matching Caleb’s smile.
          “Dramatic?” They walked on as Cassidy blew off the beleaguered chunk of chocolate, and continued her retort. “Who started quoting Shakespeare when his girlfriend dumped him? You do not associate a girl with the temperament of a shrew.”
          Gemma laughed, though the sound was lost in the noise of the tourist-filled street. She remembered that situation and had agreed—in her own mind, at least—that “shrew” defined that girl to a ‘T’. She’d been so relieved to see Caleb move on.
          He had just begun to counteract this little barb when his sister interrupted him. “Oh my gosh. Look at that view!”
          Pulling her ever-present camera from her neck, Gemma began snapping shots of the Barcelona Cathedral. Breathtaking. Just ahead of them, Reid and Ada had stopped as well and she discreetly captured a couple candid photos of the two.
          Spain. She still couldn’t believe she was here. And for the whole Summer!
Pinterest
          Her crew started walking again, no destination in mind, simply enjoying the perfect weather and the stunning sights. Gemma found herself dropping to the back to observe and take photos of anything that struck her fancy. She watched her friends admiring the buildings and the culture of Spain amidst the hustle and bustle of Barcelona. Tourists were everywhere on this cloudy, Summer Thursday. The temperature was a steady 74 degress—gorgeous for sightseeing, and absolutely perfect compared to the stifling 90’s of Gemma’s hometown in the States. She almost felt chilled.
          Bringing up the rear as she was, Gemma’s heart warmed watching each of her best friends. Cassidy and Will walked hand in hand, interrupted only when Caleb threw an arm around his sister to impart some of his ready humor. Cass laughed and took both guys by the arm as they continued up the street. Ahead of them Reid and his girlfriend Ada seemed to be enjoying the outing also. This was only day four of the summer-long tour of Spain and already they had seen so much.
          Someone bumped her arm and she almost muttered an automatic apology when she met Cassidy’s glowing features. Strawberry-gold hair framed her oval face and bright eyes. Her friend had always been stunning, with or without makeup. In contrast to Gemma’s own darker features and mild scattering of freckles, they were complete opposites in personality. Gemma loved Cass’s spontaneity—it inspired her to be more courageous. That’s what this trip was about, right?
          “How are you, Gem? Glad you came?” She accepted the proffered piece of chocolate as Cassidy linked arms with her. Cass didn’t share her chocolate with just anyone. A smile tickled Gemma’s lips as she stuck the sweet goodness in her mouth. Mmmm. Cassidy was so right. Rich and dreamy.
          “More than glad,” she replied, savoring the rich smoothness. She wasn’t much for words, especially with dark chocolate most likely coating her teeth. But she thought Cass could see just how grateful she was in the depths of her eyes.
          Her eyes.
          If there was one thing someone usually noticed about Gemma’s overall ordinary appearance—slender figure, long dark hair, and gentle features—it was her eyes. Her right was a soft brown, but her left was a brilliant blue. She had grown accustomed to the stares, but other than her family (which included Cassidy, Caleb, Reid, and even Will and Ada now), she always felt far too self-conscious in public.
          Cassidy adjusted her large shoulder-bag, grinning. “I just knew we had to save you from that bubble you’re always in. And why not go all out in a Summer-long tour of Spain?” her voice held the high, cheery note of the country’s syllable a beat longer.
          “Will is scouting ahead. There’s a cafe or two somewhere on this street, so he’s going to see if there’s any seating available for an early luncheon. He let the lovebirds know too,” she added, her eyes gesturing to Reid and Ada a few yards ahead. “You okay with that?”
          Gemma nodded, nudging her friend’s ribs. “Of course. We know how hungry you always are.” She caught Caleb’s smirk as he stood waiting for them to catch up, hands in pockets, blond shock of hair in his face. Cassidy had the natural metabolism of an athlete and could eat absolutely anything and not gain a pound. But she never let her weight or appearance fuel her status or choose her friends. Gemma had always admired her for that. If she had, the girls wouldn’t have kept their elementary friendship throughout high school.
          “Well, you’re right, as usual,” Cass winked. “I’m starving!”
          “Didn’t you just have a chocolate bar?” her brother asked, a teasing glint in his blue eyes—identical to Cassidy’s. He hooked his arm through Gemma’s. Sandwiched as she was between the twins, she found herself missing her own siblings.
          “Hullo-o. Appetizer, y’all,” Cassidy’s laugh chimed and she practically skipped, pulling Gemma and Caleb with her. They caught up to Reid and Ada, just as Gemma spotted Will waving from a cafe’s entrance further up the street. He was holding something in his hand, a wide grin on his face.
          Cassidy waved, then squealed. “You guys! He found more chocolate! Oh, Gem, he’s just PERFECT.” She pulled away to weave through the crowd towards her boyfriend, who stood looking victorious.
          Gemma laughed. “We know the way to her heart,” she said, pulling Caleb the rest of the way. His face held the brotherly look of a mock scowl.
          “He certainly doesn’t have to try too hard.”

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

There's still time to enter the linkup! The link tool will be open until Saturday night, so be sure to hop aboard before then.  :]  And have fun!

Have a lovely week, y'all!

Comments

  1. OOOH. You have a new story? That is SO MUCH FUN!!! Isn't it hilarious how these plot bunnies attack? But oh my goodness, 3 hours total of writing? :O Those moments are MAGICAL. I love it! :D

    This is so fun you're writing a contemporary, and in SPAIN. So cool! (Though I'm with you on the whole research thing. I have a couple of story ideas set in the UK but, ugh, so much research. I never feel motivated to write them. It's bad. XD) I think it's awesome you're exploring a genre you've never written before. Honestly, I've always kinda wanted to try contemporary just because I never HAVE. It would be so different. But every time I even get an inkling of an idea, some huge magical element appears. >.> I'm hopeless.

    BUT SARAH. THIS IS SO FUN! I adooore this friend group. Close-knit friend groups are my FAVE! I cannot wait to read more about them. I am excited! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss! ;D Hilarious, & sometimes annoying, because I NEED to work & finish my OTHER stories!!! GAHHHH xD

      I KNOW. So MUCH RESEARCH. It's really neat though, because I'm learning so many interesting things about the culture & the history. But it's certainly a daunting task because things set in the REAL world must be as accurate as possible... Haha! I know what you mean! I actually considered adding a bit of a magical aspect, but decided to keep it as simple as possible what with all the research that's needed anyway. Not sure how far this will go, but I'm already dreaming of taking it for publication---and I don't even have the STORY figured out!!! GAHHHHHHH

      Thank you, dear Lauri! So do I. I think there needs to be MORE of these types of friends. Ones where the guys and girls are comfortable around each other & look out for one another, with NO "threat" of romance involved, ya know?? Thanks, girl! So am I!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…