A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name || Places Edition!

Good day to you, m'dears!  Happy April!
It's the first Monday of the month & therefore time for more place names!  I really like this set.  :]

Enjoy!

> > > > > < < < < <

Loudon
M | English (rare)

The name of a city & county in Tennessee.  The name itself is derived from the surname of the same spelling, which is a variant of the Scottish locational name Loudoun, a village located to the east of Ayrshire in Scotland.  Meaning unknown.


Montana
M & F | English (modern)

From the name of the American state, derived from Latin montanus "mountainous." 


Rio
Spanish, Portuguese; Japanese

Means "river" in Spanish or Portuguese.  It is the name of a city in Brazil---full name Rio de Janeiro ("River of January"), so named because the first explorers came to the harbor in January & mistakenly believed it was a river mouth.  Also a Japanese name with various meanings from differing kanji combinations.


Atlanta
English

From the name of a city in the American state of Georgia, originally a short form of Atlantica---ultimately derived from the name of the Atlantic Ocean (itself, closely associated with the name Atlas "enduring").  It could also be considered a contracted form of Atalanta "equal in weight".




Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

Whatcha think?  Any favorites in these?  Any you would add or could see using in your WIP?  Let me know! I may feature them next month.  :D

> > > > > < < < < <

Today is the first day of Camp NaNo!! Are you taking part this month?  If so, happy writing!!!

Have a lovely week, y'all!

Comments

  1. I have a college friend who's name is Montana - I always thought it was a pretty name :) I love all of these names, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! And I've heard it's a beautiful state as well ;D

      Thanks, girl!

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…