A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Book Review || Priceless

Happy Saturday, y'all!!
Though by the time you read this, it'll most likely be Sunday. . . ;D

I'm still adjusting to my 2019 blog schedule, so I know I missed my Friday writerly post, but with diligence, I WILL have one up next Friday!  But anywho, enjoying your weekend thus far?  How's your writing progressing? I'm debating on joining in on a 12-day prompt to start this year on the WRITE foot.  hahahah seewhatididthere  Dunno if I will for sure, it begins Monday, but seems like a good thing to try.

Meanwhile, I've a lovely little book review for you!
Read on, if you will.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

PRICELESS
Who I Am When I Feel. . .
Jen Barrick

Moody Publishers | October 2, 2018
Christian Life, Non-fiction, Tween & Teen Girls Devotionals

{GoodReads}
What if your daughter’s propensity for “feeling all the feels” is actually a good thing?

Teens and tweens have a reputation for letting their emotions get the best of them, so much so that we often wonder if our families (and the world) wouldn’t be better off if these young women we love could feel just a little less. But as Linda Barrick discovered, these emotions play an important role in the spiritual lives of young women, and, when they learn to direct them rightly, their feelings can be a powerful force for good in their lives, homes, and schools.

That’s why Linda and her daughter Jen wrote this devotional for teen girls. After Linda’s daughter, Jen, was in a traumatic car accident, Jen was in many ways “frozen” at age fifteen and completely uninhibited. That means Jen still says what she’s thinking and feeling almost all the time. Because of this Jen’s mom, Linda, got a unique glimpse into the inner world of young women, and she realized that the emotions young teen girls feel are a beautiful gift. It gives them the ability, like Jen, to have an unhindered, best-friend relationship with their Heavenly Father.

In this 30-day devotional for young teen girls, Jen Barrick, with the help of her mom, Linda Barrick, compiled her own real-life prayers with passages from Psalms in order to speak directly to the heart of young women. It will teach these teens and tweens how to cultivate a deep, emotional relationship with the God who loves them. Each day will:
          -  address a different feeling and examine it in light of God’s truth from a short passage of Psalms
          -  affirm young women’s feelings as a gift of God
          -  demonstrate how their emotions are meant to lead them closer to God
          -  show them how to make their faith stronger when they use God’s Word to navigate their emotions.


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

This is one of the sweetest, meaningful devotionals I have probably ever read.  The daily devos are easy to read, engaging, and totally relateable.  Each little chapter begins with a feeling and then adds a truth.  For example, "When I feel beautiful. . . I'm reflecting God's glory"; "When I feel invisible. . . I'm seen & known"; "When I feel like giving up. . . I'm about to be rescued" (and so on).  Through the trials and joys of her own life, author Jen Barrick pulls experience and humor into each devo, effectively getting down to the level of each girl and whatever fear they face.  She stresses that when we have those days of not feeling enough, God's enough-ness more than covers us.

Jen's story in itself is a work of love & miracles.  She had prayed for God to grant her a boldness, but little did she know He would answer that prayer through the trials of a severe car accident & brain injury.  What a testimony! and a challenge to live out loud the Hope we have in Christ.

This devotional is a beautiful and simple way to teach girls & teens how to study Scripture AND put it to work in their own lives.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <
I received a copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of this review.


ages 12+

Comments

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …