A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Be ENCOURAGED || Slaves to Excess


In the chapter I'm focusing on for the book study this week, it touches on the dangers of overindulgence and habits of pleasure---be it alcohol, drugs, social media, or some other idol.  The passage in Titus 2 calls on the older women to be "not. . . slaves to much wine." (Titus 2:3)  It specifically says this to the older women, but we of any age should take this to heart.  And not JUST regarding alcohol.

". . . Paul is speaking about something deeper than overindulgent lifestyles.  He's concerned about our tendency to become enslaved to certain substances or habits or activities---anything---that we deem essential to our happiness, sanity, or survival."
- p. 133, Adorned by Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth -

This could include things such as food, diet & exercise, shopping, TV shows & movies, work, screen time, romance novels, prescription meds, etc. etc.


Is there anything in your life right now that might be controlling you?  I need to ask myself the same question.  A great way to discern the answer is to fast from that something(s) for at least thirty days.  And if for some reason you feel you cannot do without, then who is really in control here?  Are you the master or the minion?

For a while, and I still struggle with it, I would find myself browsing my phone on social media constantly---particularly Pinterest & Instagram.  Occasionally, I forget my phone while out and about and, admittedly, feel SO lost without it.  But if there ever comes a day where I seriously CANNOT function without it, then I have a SERIOUS problem.  To cut off some screen time, I have attempted to keep away from my beloved apps until lunchtime at least, and then forego anything after 9:00pm that night.  Unfortunately, I haven't kept that as diligently as I feel I should, but it's certainly a start!

What about you?  Do struggle with the same thing?  Something else?  Truth is, while we may not realize it at first, EVERYONE will eventually encounter some kind of idol that takes our time and emotions.  It's time to turn our eyes back towards the One who trumps ALL idols.

Only then is there true freedom.

"We cannot be servants of God while at the same time bowing & scraping to the demands of some other substance or influence.  Jesus Himself said it is impossible to serve two masters (Matt. 6:24)."
- p.137, Adorned -

As Titus 2 women, it is our mission as well as a privilege to give ourselves fully to the service of our Lord & King.  

"This Titus 2 mandate is about sharing & receiving from one another the gifts of transparency, accountability, mercy, and encouragement, reminding one another who our Master really is."
- p. 142, Adorned -

For some, we can take liberty in some things because they do not affect us in any way like they do others.  But it is best to keep in mind that even though we may not stumble in this particular thing, someone watching us might.  Ms Nancy says it well: "To limit your liberty for the sake of others who may be led into sin as a result is not to capitulate into legalism, as some would suggest.  It is to exercise a greater liberty---to live by the law of love." (p. 151, Adorned)

This poem comes to mind (I've had it posted above my comments box for years):

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules;
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block, or a stepping stone.
- anonymous -

Take heart!  
Our true Master is one of great mercy & grace.
He only asks that we come to Him!

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

So,
Are you a slave to some form of excess?
Who is your master?

Comments

  1. I think my phone is definitely enslaving me.. and not only is it bad for me to be "worshiping" something else, it's also bad for my concentration when doing schoolwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It most certainly is with me. And YESSSS -- WHY SO DISTRACTING??? ;D

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…