A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

What's in a Name?

Happy Tuesday, all!

I know, I know.  This is a Name post on a TUESDAY.  #WHUTTT  My little household has been a little under the weather following a lovely Thanksgiving day.  We're better now!  But I did not get my posts together due to that fact.  heheh

Anyways, here's a new set for you with some rather unique names.

Enjoy!

> > > > > < < < < <

Garo
M | English, German

Meaning unknown.  Possibly a variant of Gero, which hails from names beginning with the Germanic element ger meaning "spear." 


Carmel
F | English, Jewish
KAHR-mel

From the Hebrew word karmel meaning "garden."  Mount Carmel is a mountain in Israel, mentioned in the Old Testament.  As a given name, Carmel has mainly been used by Catholics.


Roald
Norwegian

Modern form of the Old Norse name Hróðvaldr or Hróaldr, made up of elements meaning "fame" and "ruler."  This was borne by the children's author Roald Dahl (1916-1990).


Alanna
English

Feminine form of Alan, which possibly means "little rock" or "handsome" in Breton.








Names & meanings via behindthename.com.
Photos via Pinterest.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

How was your Thanksgiving, friends?  And what about NaNo? Still pluggin' away?

What do you think of this set of monickers?  Got a favorite??

Have a lovely week!

Comments

  1. Glad to hear your family is doing better. Sickness has been doing the rounds at our house as well. A hazard of the season, I suppose.

    These names are such an interesting batch. I'd actually never heard of Garo and I didn't realize Carmel was at all commonly used. I like Roald a lot and have been hoping to use it for something, I'm just not sure where it would fit yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So are we. Sorry to hear! It's that time of year again, I suppose -_-

      Thanks! I thought so too. I had never heard of Garo either---I think I first saw it as the name of a football player (though I can't remember who now) a week ago. Oooo! I hope you can use Roald, I like that one a lot!

      Delete
  2. Awwww, I'm sorry you've all been under the weather! Glad to hear you're doing better now. <3

    Another awesome set of names! Garo totally sounds like a cool fantasy name. And Alanna is goooorgeous! I love the uniqueness of Carmel too. I've never seen that used as a name but I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dearie! *^ - ^*

      And thanks! Totally agree. Yes!! SOOOO pretty. And I think I first saw Carmel used by another blogger I follow---she's a lovely lady and so I thought I'd feature the name. :]

      Delete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …