A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Book Review | The Beast of Talesend

The Beast of Talesend
Beaumont & Beasley {Book 1}
Kyle Robert Shultz

{GoodReads}
Private eye Nick Beasley lives in a world where fairy tales ended a long time ago – where zeppelins now soar the skies instead of dragons, and where the first automobiles have taken the place of flying carpets. He’s made a name for himself across the Afterlands by debunking fake magicians and exposing fraudulent monsters. This is the modern age, after all. Magic and monsters are long gone.

At least, that’s what Nick believes. Until he gets magically transformed into a monster, that is.

The only person who may be able to help Nick is Lady Cordelia Beaumont, one of the last enchantresses in the Afterlands. But in order for her to cure him, they’ll have to retrieve a powerful artifact from a ruthless crime lord – who is also Cordelia’s father.

The fate of the Afterlands lies in the hands of a runaway enchantress and a monstrous ex-detective. What could possibly go wrong?

Perfect for fans of Doctor Who, Once Upon A Time, Indiana Jones, or The Dresden Files, the Beaumont and Beasley series features high adventure in a world where fairy tales are history.


> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <


I humbly decided to spare you all the usual lengthy review and simply gush and gush and GUSH about how much I enjoyed this little novel.  I could go on and on, my friends.  Seriously!  It was such a fun read, I promptly passed it on to my husband -- who read it in less than two days -- and then on to my brother-in-law.  Needless to say, the Hubs loved it! and it will definitely circulate the fam, I can tell you that.  A huge shout out to the author, Kyle Robert Schultz, for his amazing debut!!

The plot is so unique and creative.  The story-world is amazing.  I LOVE the characters!!!!  The villains.  The magic.  The Artifacts.  The STORY.  Nick.  Cordelia.  Mirrordelia.  Crispin.

The HUMOR, y'all.  There were many times in the dialogue I could've simply laughed aloud.  Told in first person, the writing seems so natural, you feel as if you are the one in Nick's shoes, er, talon-like-claws/feet (if I recall correctly).  It was only with great self-control I kept my giggles and snickering to myself.  ;D  

As you can see, I placed my rating at the top because it was so darn good.  It is an easy read, but don't let that fool you.  Each chapter is chock-full of fun, action, adventure, and humor.  No language, whatsoever.  Extremely clean.  PERFECT for a family read-aloud, if you ask me!  There's a wee bit of violence in which characters are beaten around, slapped on the face, or shot with a gun. 

But that's all I'm going to dispense.  Read for yourself!!! You won't regret it.  :] Many thanks to my bloggy friends for recommending this to me! [Especially to dear Lauri, whom I recall vividly and practically pushing (virtually) said book down my throat. (And to any of my other buds who might've pointed me in its direction! Sorry to have forgotten you. . .]

Now it's my turn to virtually shove said book down the piehole of your brain.
READ IT.

> > > > > > > > > > < < < < < < < < < <

*^ __ ^*

Seriously, tho.
 This was a great, clean faerietale retelling that I would definitely recommend to all ages.  I can't wait to get my hands on the sequels!!! 

YES.  There's MORE!

Happy Christmas to you and yours, my lovelies!

Comments

  1. I've been hearing a lot of great things about this book. I so want to pick it up!!

    Merry Christmas to you Sarah!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't it so good??? :D Just wait--book 2 is even better, and I'm hearing really good things about the 3rd as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAAAHHHHHH!!!!! YOU READ IT! You're welcome for shoving it at you. ;D But seriously. WASN'T IT THE BEST??? THE CHARACTERS. THE HUMOR. THE WORLD. ERRRRRYTHING!!! And the other books are just as good and the story gets deeper and deeper and and and KSDJFLJDL:KJFD. I LOVE THIS SERIES!

    I'm so, so, SO happy you got to read it! And are now passing it along to family. The best! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine: You SHOULD!! Definitely won't regret it - not in the least! And it's a super easy read. :]

    Tracey: AHH!! I NEED BOOK 2. Just haven't been able to get my greedy hands on it quite yet... Thanks, girlie!

    Christine: Hahaha! Yes. So THE BEST. LOVE LOVE LOVE it all!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I somehow missed this lovely review when you first posted it. Thank you so much!! :D I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! It was an absolute pleasure. :] I can't wait to devour the others!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…