A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

Snippets of Story

Pinterest
This is my first entry to the Snippets of Story, hosted by Katie from Whisperings of the Pen.  I've wanted to do this for a little while and at last I have the chance!  Snippets is just a way to give you, dear readers, a taste of what I've been up to in my writings.  And, hopefully, have you wishing for more!

Below, I've listed a few quotes/excerpts from Peder's short story, which, thanks to the 100-4-100 Challenge, is coming along quite well.

So, without further ado... Here are the snippets for January and February:


All in a Day's Work

    It was done.
    He had succeeded in retrieving what he'd come for. So, why the hesitation? After nearly running over the unsuspecting guard back inside the castle, his nerves were strung thin.
    If he was caught...
    He didn't want to think about that.

[Slannin - master thief, mercenary for hire]

---

    Ma carina nás?” Are you done? asked Jaron, in his native tongue. Peder turned away, ashamed of his outburst.  He answered in the same language.
    “Ná.” Yes.
    “Good.” The Elf nodded. “Now I can tell you why we are waiting.” Peder looked up, rubbing the nape of his neck out of habit.
    “You mean there's a reason for this madness?” he asked sheepishly, returning to his normal, care-free self.
     This time the Elvish man chuckled.
     “There usually is.”

[Peder and Captain Jaron]

---

    Peder could feel the long hours of endurance and “sneakery” training taking over. His mind was clear, muscles relaxed, and footsteps light. He just had to keep up with the Elf.  

[Peder Grey, cadet Guard]

---

    Peder accepted Jaron's hand and allowed the Elf to pull him to his feet. He blinked. To clear the mush his brain now felt like, he shook his head and looked to see Jaron watching him.
    “I'm alright,” he grinned. “My head's just pounding like a hammer to an anvil.”
    “No wonder. You've got a knot the size of an egg.”
    “Really?” Peder grimaced, not even bothering to feel his scalp. He believed him. “That's what I get for tryin' to be sociable.”

[Peder and Captain Jaron]


---


    He is a troubled man, Peder,” remarked the red dragon suddenly.
    “How do you know?” He kept his eyes trained on the border of trees lining the meadow.
    “We dragons smell more than gold, food, and human flesh. Emotions play a large part of our world. Contrary to legend, perhaps we feel more than even your kyn.” Now Peder turned to her, puzzled.
    “Wait. You mean you can actually smell emotions? Happiness? sadness? fear?”
    “Hmm, yes. The smell of fear is usually strongest..."

[Peder and Valtiramiir, a red she-dragon]

---


    Peder nodded, the look of determination set on his face. He couldn't help the bit of pride that grew in his heart. Not the bad kind, mind you, but rather the good sense of a job well done. He knew his mission as a Guard, secretive as it is, was important to the safety of his country. He straightened his weary shoulders. So be it.

[Peder Grey]

---

And there you have it.

Blessings,
Sarah


Side note:  The Elvish phrases are taken from arwen-undomiel.com, because I have not the courage and intelligence to come up with a better Elvish language...  =D

Comments

  1. Hi!
    I just found your blog. I like your snippets! I'm in the 100-4-100, too. :)

    ~Robin Hoode

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for commenting, Robin! Good luck in the Challenge!!!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…