A Bookish Sarah

encouragement & bookish things

slide code

Social Media Icons

Photo

Sarah
Welcome, friend! Relax & rest awhile, if you please. I'm an ordinary girl, a follower of Christ, mama to Gabriel, Heidi, & Aidan; and wife to Evan. Here in this little space of the online world, I share all manner of bookish things, including full content reviews, writerly snippets, encouragement for everyday life, and a whole collection of names & their meanings.

welcome to my blog

social media icons 2

Search

category 1

Reviews

category 2

Names

category 3

Encouragement

The Bibliophile Sweater Tag

A HUGE thank-you to my dear friend Jameson, from Lovely Whatsoevers, for passing this little tag on to me!  Go on, click on over to view her post.  The books she lists are so intriguing -- you'll want to add them to your TBR list (if you haven't already), and her photos for each are PERFECT.


"GUIDELINES"

1] Give the person who tagged you a never-ending supply of cookies (or just thank them - either works)

2] Answer all the questions and use the blog graphic for this tag somewhere in your post (either the one above, or design your own!)
3] Pass along the tag to at least five other people to wear a sweater (okay, this is optional...but why wouldn't you want to??).





(Please bear with me on the photos, y'all. . . They were the best I could do under the circumstances of horrid lighting and cold, rainy weather.  Heheh. . .)

> > > > > < < < < <
Fuzzy sweater 
(a book that is the epitome of comfort)

I adored this little novel.  Unforgettable is one of those good, clean romances that leave you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside.  This was the first book of the author's that I had picked up, and I was pleasantly surprised.  (Although I may have had high expectations due to the fact the MC owned a dance studio. . .)  ;D
*****
> > > > > < < < < <
Striped sweater

(book which you devoured every line of)



Oh my.  THIS BOOK.  I definitely devoured every line of mystery, intrigue, wit, and humor in this novel.  Anon, Sir, Anon had me laughing more than any other murder mystery I've read.  The writing style and hilarity is similar to that of P.G. Wodehouse (another great reason to snag this one) and Rachel Heffington's characters were spot on and full of wit.  Extremely likable from the start! 
*****
> > > > > < < < < <
Ugly Christmas sweater
(book with a weird cover)

The cover of this one may not be as weird as the title itself. . . But I couldn't find a stranger one right away.  (What does that say of my library?  Do I really judge a book by its cover??  Probably. . . *wicked laugh*)  The Tattooed Rats is an interesting, if not a kinda scary take on the future where Christians are in hiding for their faith and followers of Christ turn out to be members of a gang, covered in tattoos, and probably the only ones that Patch (the MC) can trust.  Faith is challenged, betrayal abounds, true friends are difficult to find, and spiritual forces battle (literally) for the fate of the world.
****
> > > > > < < < < <
Cashmere sweater
(most expensive book you've bought)

Honestly, this was a difficult subject to answer, as most every book I own and purchase is either thrifted or hunted down until a reasonable price is discovered.  Seriously, I don't ever pay more than $3-$5 for a book, on average.  There are some exceptions, of course, where I MAY dish out a whole $10 for a special something. . . xD  Haha, no really.  Unless it's some antique, in-great-condition book/one I've been hunting FOREVER, then I rarely spend more that $3.  This one, however, was an exception.  And, while it isn't a fiction story, rather a dictionary of biblical names, I still think it counts for this tag.  (Right??)  All the Names in the Bible is pretty amazing if you are an appellationist -- a collector of names -- like myself.  (Click here to see the unofficial definition of appellationist.  The article is rather hilarious! It has a list of funny names of actual real people.)  I spent maybe $18 for this thing.  O__O I know! So much moolah. . . Still, extremely worth it!
*****
> > > > > < < < < <
Hoodie
(favorite classic book)

If you've seen and loved the 2004 BBC drama North & South featuring Richard Armitage and Daniela Denby-Ashe, then you'll know what this classic novel is.  It's just as good as the mini-series, if not even better -- in my opinion.  While in the drama you get to SEE the characters and their circumstances and squeal like little girls and wish you could live in a period drama, the book adds so much more to the story and characters themselves.  I actually liked the ending a little better in the book than I did in the film.  But I'm not gonna give it away. *maniacal laugh* READ it yourself!!
*****
> > > > > < < < < <
Cardigan
(book that you bought on impulse)

This was definitely an impulsive buy.  And I wasn't disappointed!  It was such an intriguing storyline, I had a rather difficult time putting it down.  In Origin, you follow the steps of Pia, a genetically altered girl of seventeen, who is meant to be the start of an immortal race of humans.  She's been an unknowing prisoner of a laboratory compound deep in a jungle, until she finds a hole in the fence.  Despite the studies and knowledge she's gathered over the years, she knows little of the world that exists outside, and just how wondrous it can be in person.  Or what secrets can be discovered.
****
> > > > > < < < < <
Turtleneck sweater
(book from your childhood)

There are so many I could list here: the Nancy Drew series, Junie B. Jones books, 
the DragonKeeper Chronicles,  the Magic Treehouse series, the Cooper Kids series, the Chronicles of Narnia, Twilight Child, ALL the Louis L'Amour westerns, and so many more.  But I chose this not-so-well-known one because it's one of my absolute favorites (which probably doesn't mean much as I have countless absolute favorites, but still. . .).  Written by the author of the Redwall series, Castaways of the Flying Dutchman is an intriguing tale of a boy and his dog who happen to get caught up in the curse of the Flying Dutchman, a ship captained by a rather wicked man (not the Davy Jones from PotC).  A trilogy, it follows the now-immortal two as they travel the world serving those in need and solving mysteries and riddles in the villages they stumble upon.  In short, they're almost like guardians.  Love this one!
*****  
> > > > > < < < < <
Homemade knitted sweater
(book that is Indie-published)

An amazing debut novel from an amazing, bloggy friend! (aka Jameson)  :]  The Assassin's Daughter was an easy, clean read.  If you love fantasy, reluctant assassins, sweet friendships, government rebels, and adventure, then you'll enjoy this novel.  I love Kat and Ed's friendship.  And the character Delest is SO INTRIGUING.  Can't wait for the second book!!
****
> > > > > < < < < <
V-neck sweater
(book that did not meet your expectations)

TT_TT
*sobs*  I was SO DISAPPOINTED in this one.  So much so, I didn't finish it.  *GASPS* I know, I know.  I tried so hard to get into the story and the characters, simply because the premise and story idea seemed so unique and most certainly intriguing.  HOWEVER, due to the amount and content of language, the outright bratty attitude of the macho "heroine," among other issues, I couldn't stand it or get any further than the first ten chapters. . .  That said, I have no rating for Stormdancer, and would not recommend.

> > > > > < < < < <
Argyle sweater
(book with a unique format)

I believe this one fits into the "unique format," right?  :]  This is a book where the reader will either like it or not.  I actually enjoyed this one simple because it was COMPLETELY different from any other novel I've read.  Set in 2250, Aquifer focuses on a community of people living on the barren wastes of the earth.  Water is scarce and extremely precious.  The people rely on their Deliverers, a generation of men chosen to travel to the underground depths to treaty with the Water Rats down below who mine the water.  Those who govern the people do so cruelly, and it's up to sixteen-year-old Luca to expose their tyranny.  An interesting, clean read with a teensy bit of romance, a dose of faith, and the journey for truth.  (Read my review here.)
****
> > > > > < < < < <
Polka dot sweater
(a book with well-rounded characters)

Ahhh, last but certainly not least, a novel I most recently finished reading.  AND ABSOLUTELY LOVED.  Wildwood Dancing is a fantastic, whimsical faerietale retelling based on the stories of The 12 Dancing Princesses and The Frog Prince.  Don't go judging too quickly, however, as this story is completely and wholly original.  Any fantasy, faerietale-lover will enjoy this book.  The characters are so well-fleshed out, extremely easy to relate to, and of course lovable.  I love Jena's character, second eldest of five sisters and the practical, sensible one.  She feels the burden of providing for her family while their father is away recovering from an illness.  She makes many mistakes, to be sure, and she comes to learn she simply cannot do everything on her own.  But her sisters stick by her through it all, and while there may be times for sorrow, faerietales have happy endings.  :]
*****

THE NOMINEES
[Please feel free to skip the tag, if you'd like.  You're not obligated!]
Hannah @ Plottinger Twist
Catherine @ The Rebelling Muse
Katie Grace @ A Writer's Faith
And anyone else who would like to join in!  Just because your name isn't listed doesn't mean you're not permitted to partake.  If you do, please let me know! I'd love to see your post.  :]

 THE QUESTIONS
Fuzzy sweater (a book that is the epitome of comfort)
Striped sweater (book which you devoured every line of)
Ugly Christmas sweater (book with a weird cover)
Cashmere sweater (most expensive book you've bought)
Hoodie (favorite classic book)
Cardigan (book that you bought on impulse)
Turtleneck sweater (book from your childhood)
Homemade knitted sweater (book that is Indie-published)
V-neck sweater (book that did not meet your expectations)
Argyle sweater (book with a unique format)
Polka dot sweater (a book with well-rounded characters)

Comments

  1. Oooh, you did the tag! Yay!

    Your book photos are BEAUTIFUL!

    I've never heard of Unforgettable before but it sounds like something I'll want to check out!

    I totally understand you on the book-buying! I've come across some great finds at thrift stores and such that led me to new authors and series! That name book looks like it was totally worth the price though!

    North and South is so great. My sister introduced me to the miniseries a few years ago and I fell in love immediately. The book is one of my favorites too!

    I've not heard of Castaways of the Flying Dutchman before but it sounds intriguing... I love a good sea-faring story!

    Eeep! that photo of TAD is so pretty. ^_^

    Oooh, I'll have to check out Wildwood Dancing! Those two fairy tales sound like they could work really well in a retelling together!

    I loved seeing your answers and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS TAG! I was so excited to see you did it. And excuse me but your pictures are GORGEOUS. I am in awe at you getting such beautimous things on a rainy day. I need your skills!

    You know what's sad? The Assassin's Daughter and Aquifer are the only ones on your list I've read! The Assassin's Daughter is wonderful! Aquifer...erm. I kind of hated that book. *COUGH* I just could NOT connect to it and didn't really follow the storyline at all... I don't know. That book and I didn't mix. Eheh.

    I really want to read Origin! I've seen that one around and it looks super intriguing. And ooooh my, Wildwood Dancing sounds just up my alley! Except...did you mean a different Lauri recommended it to you? Because I've never read it before. XD But it sure looks like something I want to read!

    A lot of these are things I need to add to my TBR! This whole post made my bookish heart happy. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHH, I've been seeing this tag go around, and been waiting for it :)(because, of course, I love to gush about books :) )

    oooohhh, I'm a big sucker for a good clean romance, I'm sticking "Unforgettable" to my TBR!! As well as Anon, Sir Anon!!

    NORTH AND SOUTH - I actually watched the mini-series before I read the book, and it is still one of my favorite mini-series EVER. Though I agree that the book did a much better job of character development (as books often do :) )

    Thank you for tagging me, Sarah!!!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I would've replied to these sweet comments ages ago, but right in the middle of finishing my rather lengthy replies, my computer crashed and I lost what I'd typed. -_- So, here we go again!

    Jameson: Aww, you are too kind! Thanks! YES - Totally check it out. It's been awhile since I read that one, so it may not be AS good as I remember, but I do remember liking it lots. :] *squeals* With all these rainy days we've been getting, my hubby and I binged on N+S last Sunday afternoon - the WHOLE THING. *beams* So good. I think you may like Castaways, and yes!!! Wildwood Dancing is such a treasure!

    Christine: You are so sweet, thanks! *^ - ^* You've only read TWO of my list?? Haha, I completely understand! TAD was great, and I do understand about your opinions on Aquifer. It's definitely not a favorite, but I suppose it was so strange and bizarre to me that I ended up liking it. However, definitely not one I'm gonna reread over and over. :] Origin was pretty good, imo, but it may be similar in taste to Aquifer. I could be wrong! Please let me know what you think if you read it!! So sorry for confusing you!! I've had many recommendations from many peeps and I can't keep them straight. Off the top of my head, it seemed to me Wildwood Dancing was a book you'd already read, so I thought you were to one to bring my attention to it. heheh Anyways, so sorry! But you should totally READ IT!!! I would even long-distance loan it to you, it was so good.

    Catherine: You are so welcome, dearie! I can't wait to see your post! Yes, yes, yes, add all the goodies to your TBR!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass, and a book of rules,
And each must make, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.
-Anonymous-

ppl love these

February Snippets!
Here are some Snippets from last month.  These hail from my WIP Safia and another project I'm …
Name Reveal!
Happy November! I don't know about you, but as I sit & type up this little post, I have the …
Book Review | When Mountains Move
Well, no worries, my lovelies!  This review will be rather short.  Simply because. . . I didn'…
Book Review | The Goblin Crown
Hello, lovelies!  Just now attempting to get back into the swing of things here in the blog world. …